Article: Brandin Cooks is getting what Sammy Watkins didn't: time with Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...what-sammy-watkins-didnt-time-with-jared-goff

Brandin Cooks is getting what Sammy Watkins didn't: time with Jared Goff

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams didn't get their vertical threat until August of last year. An entire offseason program and training camp had come and gone, preseason games were about to begin, and Jared Goff had spent too much time working with other receivers to build any real, significant accord with Sammy Watkins.

Their clunky chemistry manifested itself mainly on deep balls, the ones Goff and Watkins were expected to connect on. They hit on only three of 15 passes that traveled at least 20 yards through the air, placing Watkins 55th among 65 receivers with at least 10 of those targets. That brings us to Brandin Cooks, the new Sammy Watkins in many ways except for one notable difference: Cooks is here now, early enough to build chemistry with Goff before the throws start to count.

"It’s all rhythm. It’s all timing," Goff said Monday, which marked the start of the Rams' offseason program. "I think any time you can get this extra time with guys like that, especially the deep stuff, getting open -- I look forward to working with him, and I know he’s excited."

In Brandin Cooks, coach Sean McVay and the Rams will be getting a receiver who has surpassed 110 catches, 1,000 yards and six touchdowns in each of the past three seasons. AP Photo/Greg Beacham

Phase 1 of the offseason program, which comprises the first two weeks, consists merely of classroom work and on-field strength and conditioning. Goff won't start throwing to Cooks until Phase 2, which coincides with the start of May.

The Rams gave up this year's No. 23 overall pick to acquire Cooks from the New England Patriots two weeks ago. The Rams were relatively deep at receiver, but Watkins' offseason departure left a void for a vertical presence who could take the top off a defense and open the rest of the field for Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp.

Cooks is only a year away from free agency, but the Rams are hopeful of signing him -- and Aaron Donald, who wasn't with the team on Monday -- to a long-term contract. Still only 24, Cooks has surpassed 110 catches, 1,000 yards and six touchdowns in each of the past three seasons while catching passes from two future Hall of Famers in Drew Brees and Tom Brady. Last season, he tied the Houston Texans' DeAndre Hopkins with 16 receptions on passes that traveled at least 20 yards through the air -- and he needed only 35 targets to do so.

"I think that rapport that exists between a quarterback, receivers, tight ends and backs is really important," Rams coach Sean McVay said. "The more time they get to be comfortable and familiar with each other, I think the better that we'll be served as an offense. I think the learning curve won't be quite as steep."

Cooks isn't as physically imposing as Watkins, whose size helped him make seven touchdown catches in the red zone. But he is faster, which will require an adjustment from Goff.

Goff called this his "first real offseason." In 2016, when he was the No. 1 overall pick, Goff transitioned to the NFL. In 2017, a season that ended with a Pro Bowl invite, Goff transitioned to McVay's offense. Now he's settled in. And now he has a new receiver to break in, one who if maximized can take the Rams' offense to a whole new level.

"If there is one thing that Brandin has done a nice job of, specifically the last few years, it’s being able to go get that deep ball," McVay said. "I thought the quarterbacks he’s played with have done an excellent job of giving him a chance and putting them in the right location. Those are things that we’ll try to utilize moving forward."

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Goff called this his "first real offseason." In 2016, when he was the No. 1 overall pick, Goff transitioned to the NFL. In 2017, a season that ended with a Pro Bowl invite, Goff transitioned to McVay's offense. Now he's settled in. And now he has a new receiver to break in, one who if maximized can take the Rams' offense to a whole new level.

I think this is what I'm most excited with is that Goff will have his first offseason with the same offense he already knows. The new toy in Cooks is great and I expect him and Goff to light it up. But I think lost in all of the offseason glory that we've had is that our QB is only 23 years old entering his third offseason program with the same offense as the previous year where he made the pro bowl. He was only 22/23 last year working in his second NFL offense in as many years already. Sky is the limit.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
This is why I think Goff will take a step forward this year, rather than back. He is young, and hasn’t peaked yet. A full off-season with Cooks, as well as Kupp, Woods, Gurley and the tight ends.

These next two years will show Goff growing into his full potential. Just in time for the new stadium.

Incidentally, Cooks is only a year older than Goff, and like Goff grew up and played high school football in Northern California. I think they will get along very well.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Psycho nails it. Playing with the same HC, playbook, most of the same players without having to lean new stuff is huge for getting better. Matter of reps fine tuning what they did last year. Looking a tfilm of what worked and what didn't. Something they couldn't do last season.

Teams that have had the same system and coaches in place for years have a huge advantage.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In Brandin Cooks, coach Sean McVay and the Rams will be getting a receiver who has surpassed 110 catches, 1,000 yards and six touchdowns in each of the past three seasons. AP Photo/Greg Beacham

Still only 24, Cooks has surpassed 110 catches, 1,000 yards and six touchdowns in each of the past three seasons while catching passes from two future Hall of Famers in Drew Brees and Tom Brady. Last season, he tied the Houston Texans' DeAndre Hopkins with 16 receptions on passes that traveled at least 20 yards through the air -- and he needed only 35 targets to do so.

You made the mistake twice, ESPN? C'mon.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn’t seem to notice the missing chemistry when Sammy caught 13 of his first 14 targets for 186 yards and 2 tds in the first 3 games

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you guys are exactly correct. Goff has another offseason to work with a majority of the same personnel and playbook. I do not think Goff takes a step back, but what if the film gives the offense a collective step back. Can we use the framework of last years offense and change it to where we can grow within the division? I really think that we can, and I trust McVay has it more than ever under control, but I am curious to see if either teams play us a bit tighter on d next year.

Ram65

Legend
McVay is going to have Cooks run underneath, in between and deep. He is going to make the offense more versatile. It's scary adding Cooks to a gowing Goff and Company.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I think you guys are exactly correct. Goff has another offseason to work with a majority of the same personnel and playbook. I do not think Goff takes a step back, but what if the film gives the offense a collective step back. Can we use the framework of last years offense and change it to where we can grow within the division? I really think that we can, and I trust McVay has it more than ever under control, but I am curious to see if either teams play us a bit tighter on d next year.
How can they play us tighter on D? I think our offense, having played a year together, and now getting to build on that this off season, will be even more explosive, plus be less predictable. I think last year was just a primer.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You would think that Reek, and your probably right. However, there is film on us now. Some of these defensive coaches and assistants are really good at figuring out what our offensive game plan is next year. They study and will change the way they play us, especially in the division.

Would you say the Cowboys had a better offensive turnout out in their second year with Prescott? Do you think the Eagles are going to fair better next year than they did this year? It is really hard to say.

Good offensive minds change their scheme by giving defensive coordinators different looks. Great offensive minds change their scheme by giving those same coaches the same looks. Brilliant offensive minds get better results no matter what they show them. You know what I mean. Showing them a run, and then getting that first down despite the other side knowing what they were running. What kind of offense are we going to be?

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
You would think that Reek, and your probably right. However, there is film on us now. Some of these defensive coaches and assistants are really good at figuring out what our offensive game plan is next year. They study and will change the way they play us, especially in the division.

Would you say the Cowboys had a better offensive turnout out in their second year with Prescott? Do you think the Eagles are going to fair better next year than they did this year? It is really hard to say.

Good offensive minds change their scheme by giving defensive coordinators different looks. Great offensive minds change their scheme by giving those same coaches the same looks. Brilliant offensive minds get better results no matter what they show them. You know what I mean. Showing them a run, and then getting that first down despite the other side knowing what they were running. What kind of offense are we going to be?
By your font I can tell you're a bold person, but speaking of bold I feel that McVay is just that, and to go along with his boldness I also feel that he has a great offensive mind. I'm also sure that McVay has many weapons in his arsenal yet to use, and he has a wide array of toys to use at his disposal between WR, TE, and RB, to reveal and mislead many a DC.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I appreciate your optimism, Reek, and I have some as well. I think that we are going to be a force both offensively and defensively next year. Believe me, an optimism I haven't had in years.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I think a lot of analysts noticed right away McVay is very good at running different plays from the exact same look pre snap and even post in some cases. I really like this philosophy when used correctly. You can bate the D into using a personnel package that you want them to use and get predictable match ups. No one caught up to him in Washington and I don't expect them to here in LA. He understands what he's trying to accomplish so he's gonna be quicker to find alternatives that work when D's start to catch up to certain plays or formations. Just my 3 pennies of course.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I’m still in the minority of thinking Watkins concussion was the real issue.

He got his reptilian bell rung for sure. After that ringer, he had a pass across the middle, he was ducking for cover before the ball was in hand- do you recall?

Made me want to shed my skin!