Article: Are Todd Gurley's struggles a sophomore slump, or a troubling omen for the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Are Todd Gurley's struggles a sophomore slump, or a troubling omen for the Rams?

oj14nh-b88868305z.120161230190419000ghaktmv4.10.jpg

Rams running back Todd Gurley, center, has found tough going all season, including on this play as he is stopped by Falcons middle linebacker Deion Jones and cornerback Jalen Collins. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Orange County Register/SCNG)

By JACK WANG / STAFF WRITER

THOUSAND OAKS – His emotions trickled out, then broke wide open.

On the night of Dec. 11, after weeks of quiet discontent, Todd Gurley finally let loose. He described the Rams as having “a middle-school offense.” He questioned his teammates’ effort. And when a reporter asked how the team might fix things moving forward, the running back replied: “I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really don’t know.”

This Friday, two days before his team’s season finale against the Cardinals, the reigning AP NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year acknowledged his frustrations.

“But if you’re not getting frustrated,” Gurley added, “then I don’t think you have the passion for the game.”

With no playoff hopes and no full-time head coach, there is little at stake for the Rams (4-11) on Sunday at the Coliseum.

For Gurley, however, there is at least personal pride. Mired in an ugly sophomore slump, the 22-year-old needs 155 yards to reach 1,000 for the season. Nearly 450 days have passed since he last rushed for that many in a single game. He has yet to top 85 yards this year.

The fear for Rams’ fans – and of course, for the organization itself – is that this is the new normal.

After recovering from a torn ACL, Gurley grabbed the NFL by the collar and essentially screamed, “Here I am.” In his first four starts, the former Georgia star ran for 566 yards, the most prolific debut since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970.

Those four games, however, now account for 29 percent of his career rushing yards.

“He comes in and he’s off to a roaring start,” Rams general manager Les Snead said recently. “And he’s just roaring, and roaring, and roaring.

“And I think what occurred is, defensive coordinators saying, ‘Wait a minute. That guy right there is … We’ve got to stop him.’ Bam. And they went to stopping him. And I think where we’re at now is, teams came into this year doing the same thing.”

Gurley has rushed for just 845 yards in 2016, well short of his 2015 total of 1,106 despite starting three more games. His yards per carry have dropped from 4.8 to 3.2. And after leading the league with 14 runs of at least 20 yards, he has managed just two this season: a 24-yard score against the Dolphins, and a 22-yard run against the Seahawks.

Since Gurley was born on Aug. 3, 1994, the Associated Press has voted 11 other running backs as the league’s top offensive rookie.

Of those, only four saw their rushing yards drop from Year 1 to Year 2. Two went on to have fine careers: Marshall Faulk, a Hall of Famer and two-time MVP, Curtis Martin, a five-time Pro Bowler. The two others were Mike Anderson, a former Marine who entered the league at 26 years old, and Cadillac Williams, whose career was derailed by injuries.

Which path Gurley takes is unclear. Jared Goff could make a dramatic leap after a full offseason as the Rams’ first-string quarterback, which could open up more room for the running back in 2017. The Rams could acquire more offensive pieces, or effectively develop 2016 draft picks such as tight end Tyler Higbee and receiver Pharoh Cooper. A new coaching staff could shake things up for the better.

Gurley seems to be taking it all in stride. He said Friday that he’s gotten better on not judging himself against the past, and focusing more on the present and the future.

“Everybody’s not going to have eight good years in a row, unless you’re ... ”

He paused to think.

“I don’t know, I can’t name anybody. Tom Brady. But every year is not going to be the year.”

In a conference call with Arizona reporters this week, Rams interim coach John Fassel acknowledged that Gurley has “struggled to maintain” his confidence, but expressed faith in the running back’s resilience. On Friday at Cal Lutheran, he echoed that sense of optimism, spinning Gurley’s 2016 season as something that could make him better in the long run.

“I think, in a real twisted way, it’s really good for a coach or a player that’s been successful to have to go through a tough time,” Fassel said, “and kind of see really what they’re made of and see how they respond to either the critique, or lack of production from what they’re used to. ...

“I think he’s handled it really well, and I think it’ll be good for him going forward to go into the offseason with a little bit of a chip on his shoulder and a little extra hunger.”

[www.ocregister.com]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“And I think what occurred is, defensive coordinators saying, ‘Wait a minute. That guy right there is … We’ve got to stop him.’ Bam. And they went to stopping him. And I think where we’re at now is, teams came into this year doing the same thing.”
They did the same thing to Steven Jackson in 09, 10, 11, and 12.
He still managed to top 1000 yards every time.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I feel like a broken record with this opinion; the whole 2016 offense stunk... at monumental levels.

If it was just Gurley, I'd be worried.

But it wasn't.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Improve the offensive line and devise an offense that can matriculate the ball down the field with the threat of a passing game and everyone will be amazed just how much Gurley will improve. Another aspect the current staff does not seem to understand is, Gurley can catch the football, they should have devised more plays to get him the ball via the pass in the flat and thus getting him going that way too.

Gurley also needs to channel his emotions through his playing and not always complaining although I know this year has been extremely frustrating and would test the will of any man who cares about winning. Running Back coach will be another crucial hire as I would like a former player as Todd's position coach maybe bring back Wilbert Montgomery who last coached for the Browns in 2015.

FRO

Legend
Since week 8 of last year Gurley has had only 1 100+ yard game and only 5 games of 4 yards per carry or more. It's very concerning to me. I think it has a lot to do with the poor offensive talent and scheme around him, but I'm not 100% certain.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Gurley gave us the exact reason for this...

Fisher and Co. ran a fucking Middle School offense. Think about that description for a minute and let it really sink in.

There's the crystal clear explanation.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, Gurley had a sophomore year slump only to be magnified by poor O-Line play and poor play calling by Boras. I hope he has a great off-season. Besides getting back to 2015 form, he needs to review game tape to see where he needs improvement. To me, he never looked to cut back when the initial hole was not open. Some of his biggest runs in 2015 was when he saw the play side closed only to cut back and create something out of nothing. At times he showed impatience, and tried running to the hole rather than through the hole. He should seriously should watch tape on Le'Veon Bell to see what patience running is. Hopefully a new RB coach and OC will get him back where he needs to be in 2017. For Boras and Boudreau receiving a bunch of criticism for 2016, Skip Peete should get some too.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Like any skill position you have to play with confidence, He is not. In Basketball it is a shooting slump in Baseball a hitting slump. He is in a slump. The skill is there lets hope his head finds it again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm in no way shape or form willing to get rid of Gurley. It is concerning though and isn't an automatic he has a Bettis like bounce back. I'm willing to improve the offense around him and the scheme in hopes he regains form.

You don't do what he did over his first few starts through luck or by accident. That player is still on this team. Just like OROY Jerome Bettis was still on that team. The Steelers made that very clear when they gave him what he needed to thrive.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Just hoping we can get some above average play from him for a few years at least. Right now we are not even getting that. I don't see him as ever being an elite RB, no matter how many people will inevitable stomp their feet and scream at me for that opinion. I would be happy with top 15 from him. Need to help him in the passing game, that's for sure.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They did the same thing to Steven Jackson in 09, 10, 11, and 12.
He still managed to top 1000 yards every time.

I give Linahan credit for SK339's best season. If they drafted Cutler & resigned SJ The Rams would have had a solid foundation. -- Signing Bulger instead was a bad move.

That said " Jared Goff & Gurley are a nice foundation. What The Rams gave up though was a joke.

I wonder about Gurley, just like GRob they do this thing with there head & hands. -- Gurley last year always had a Gatorade & something to hydrate. Not sure he is taking care of his body the same way either.
-- I think of what happened to Tre Mason & his head.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
For Gurley, however, there is at least personal pride. Mired in an ugly sophomore slump, the 22-year-old needs 155 yards to reach 1,000 for the season. Nearly 450 days have passed since he last rushed for that many in a single game. He has yet to top 85 yards this year.
This would make for a great "Side-Bet" for @flv to have up for us tomorrow Morning! " Can Gurrrrley Top 155 Yards and make 1000 this Year!?!
I hope he does, odds are he won't, BUT it would make for an easier Off-Season!! As long as the Rams WIN Too!!!!

Zero

Pro Bowler
Another aspect the current staff does not seem to understand is, Gurley can catch the football, they should have devised more plays to get him the ball via the pass in the flat and thus getting him going that way too.
I am praying that the new staff will utilize this.
The flats are a good place to start,but he is capable of more.