Around the NFCW: Patrick Peterson: 2020 Cardinals 'best football team I've been part of'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
NFC West is going to be tough. Cardinals appear improved over the offseason.

Really hard for me to read our division right now. I am not sure what to think... I can make a case for all 4 teams to be right there.

Patrick Peterson: 2020 Cardinals 'best football team I've been part of'

A new era has begun for the Arizona Cardinals, and cornerback Patrick Peterson believes the franchise's 2020 roster might be the most talented one he's seen in almost a decade with the team.

"This is probably the best football team I've been a part of on paper," Peterson said on "The Hyperice Lab" podcast.

Peterson added, "What we've been able to add to this team this year, what the front office has been able to accomplish this offseason (without) being able to see guys and not able to be around, it's been second to none. I mean, unbelievable."

The Cardinals were part of this offseason's biggest trade, acquiring All-Pro wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins from the Houston Texans in exchange for a pair of draft picks and former All-Pro running back David Johnson.

Arizona also signed defensive lineman Jordan Phillips and linebackers De'Vondre Campbell and Devon Kennard in free agency. Finally, the team landed linebacker Isaiah Simmons in the first round of the 2020 draft.

The Cardinals already feature All-Pro linebacker Chandler Jones, future Hall of Fame wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, quarterback Kyler Murray, and Pro Bowl safety Budda Baker.

Peterson was selected fifth overall in 2011 and has been part of two playoff campaigns with the Cardinals in 2014 and 2015. Their best result was an NFC Championship Game appearance. But the eight-time Pro Bowl corner thinks they have a shot of going further this season.

"It's going to come down to us to manage the locker room, manage the egos, and make sure that everybody is on the same page, and understand that we have to commit to one another, believe in one another, and trust one another," Peterson said. "If we do those three things, we can be in Tampa (for Super Bowl LV) ready to face whoever, and ready to hopefully bring that Lombardi Trophy - the first Lombardi Trophy - home to Arizona."

The Cardinals are one of 12 teams that's never won a Super Bowl. Arizona has appeared in the big game once, a loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be fair, his full quote is;

"This is probably the best football team I've been a part of on paper

For me the ‘on-paper’ part comes off less certain/cocky about it.

Liberator

Pro Bowler

"This is probably the best football team I've been a part of on paper

Is that even true? He was on a team that went to the NFCCG a few years ago and lost to the Panthers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They have had a good offseason.

Couple that with another year under Kingsbury, another year of seasoning with Murray...

I see why the Cards are getting some positive press.

Will it all add up? Is the Defense where it needs to be? They've added some nice pieces there, too.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I see his point but I thought the same thing about the Rams 2018 defense and we all know how that went.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Still pissed they got Hopkins.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

"This is probably the best football team I've been a part of on TOILET paper

When you get the fuller quote it makes even more sense

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
They have had a good offseason.

Couple that with another year under Kingsbury, another year of seasoning with Murray...

I see why the Cards are getting some positive press.

Will it all add up? Is the Defense where it needs to be? They've added some nice pieces there, too.
Valid points @CGI_Ram, but I'm still not sold on either Murray or Kingsbury.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Did he write this down on paper drunk at closing hour at a pub w/ Steve Keim???

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Well, either the shit birds are part of the latest new wave of "speedy teams" to take over the NFL, or the latest hype gone wrong. I'm betting on something in the middle. Hedging my bet if you will.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I can see them being better, especially after getting Hopkins ... but they aren't as good as the Cardinals that went to the Super Bowl, and I don't even think they are good as the Cardinals that went to the playoffs with Carson Palmer a time or two.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I can see them being better, especially after getting Hopkins ... but they aren't as good as the Cardinals that went to the Super Bowl, and I don't even think they are good as the Cardinals that went to the playoffs with Carson Palmer a time or two.
I think people are overrating the Fitzgerald/Hopkins duo at this point. LF can be covered one on one. He’s a smart receiver who can find the open spots in zone coverage. But he’s not going to blow the top off the defense anymore. Oh and he’s not getting any younger lol

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think people are overrating the Fitzgerald/Hopkins duo at this point. LF can be covered one on one. He’s a smart receiver who can find the open spots in zone coverage. But he’s not going to blow the top off the defense anymore. Oh and he’s not getting any younger lol

I agree with you regarding Fitzgerald. Still, getting Hopkins is a big upgrade for their WR corps, no question about it. I still think there are a lot of holes on that team though, which is why I don't see them passing any of the other teams in the division, barring one of them falling off a cliff.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Patrick Peterson: 2020 Cardinals 'best football team I've been part of'

Said every football player ever during every off-season.

oldnotdead

Legend
He's a career Cardinal so how would he know what being on a good team is? They have only had 3 winning seasons since he was drafted and only 5 total (including one 9-7) since moving to AZ. The last and best season was back in 2015.