Around the League; NFL News as Camp prepares to open

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah... here’s what I found this morning of interest;

giphy.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Be patient folks, TC in just a few more days.

I can't be there opening day (Sat), but plan to be at TC every other day, including the practice with the Chargers in Costa Mesa on the 1st.

I will post my observations in the late, evening or early morning the next day. (Need time to organize my notes)

Be aware I have no experience or training in journalism, so sentence structure, punctuation and spelling might suffer in my posts.

I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences at TC. Especially for those in ST. Louis who attended TC and shared with us here, I'm in a position to return the favor.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I can't be there opening day (Sat), but plan to be at TC every other day, including the practice with the Chargers in Costa Mesa on the 1st.

I will post my observations in the late, evening or early morning the next day. (Need time to organize my notes)

Be aware I have no experience or training in journalism, so sentence structure, punctuation and spelling might suffer in my posts.

I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences at TC. Especially for those in ST. Louis who attended TC and shared with us here, I'm in a position to return the favor.

Your camp reports have been outstanding in the past, bubba.

We’re all looking forward to them this year. Thanks in advance, man.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-traini...jaff&cjevent=259539e5ad5d11e982cc02500a1c0e14

Training Camp Preview: PFF previews all 32 teams as training camp kicks off around the NFL
By PFF Analysis Team

Jul 22, 2019

The 2019 NFL season is all but here. Starting this week, running up until the start of the preseason, all 32 NFL teams will be hard at work in training camp; all eyes fixed towards the trophy that has once again found a home in Foxboro.

Some teams will be entering the season with a new head coach. Some will see some turnover in the offensive or defensive scheme. All will be tutoring freshly drafted rookies, and most will be acclimating newly signed, prized free agents to new surroundings — all while working towards the same goal: playing football next January.

The start of training camp is always an exciting time for fans of the game. Here, helping you prepare for the weeks ahead, is PFF’s all-32 team training camp preview

Los Angeles Rams
The Rams were tasked mostly with mitigating their losses this offseason after earning the highest team grade in the NFL last season, at 95.4 overall. That’s what happens to teams that have the best record in the league and make it all the way to the Super Bowl. Still, the Rams were able to get better in key areas thanks to quarterback Jared Goff playing on his rookie deal.

GM Les Snead let key contributors walk in free agency after the team’s Super Bowl run. Gone are guard Rodger Saffold, who was a top-five run-blocker in 2018; center John Sullivan, who retired; and safety Lamarcus Joyner, who will be replaced with All-Pro Eric Weddle. Weddle comes over from Baltimore in his 13th year, yet still allowed a passer rating of just 62.3 last season. Defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh took his 48 pressures from a season ago to Tampa Bay. Clay Matthews returns to LA this offseason but is not the terror he once was off the edge, with a career-low 30 pressures last season.

The Rams traded back twice before making their first pick in the NFL draft this spring. Box safety/linebacker prospect Taylor Rapp was a value in PFF’s eyes at 61st overall after earning a 90.1 overall grade last season. Rapp brings a physical style, along with a 91.1 run-defense grade and 16 stops to his name. Corner David Long Jr. gave up just 42 receiving yards and one touchdown at Michigan last year, and while his coverage grade of 83.2 doesn’t match his eye-popping numbers, he has the potential to be a steal as a third-round pick. Tackle Bobby Evans and running back Darrell Henderson of Memphis were fine picks in the third round, but Greg Gaines could be a steal in the fourth round. The former Huskies nose tackle is not a physical prototype, but earned a 92.9 run-defense grade and can potentially do the dirty work to free up Aaron Donald to wreak his usual havoc.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Who cares about grammar? The best part about reading your reports is that as I read them I can hear you all the way up here in NorCal.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Who cares about grammar? The best part about reading your reports is that as I read them I can hear you all the way up here in NorCal.
@bubbaramfan I second this. Grammar, spelling, and punctuation aren't what I am looking for in a camp report. Rams info is the important part. What you do is an invaluable service to those of us who can't be there. I hold you in the highest regard for doing that for us and putting yourself out there like that.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
There's a football game next week. :yess:

Probably a really bad football game. :poop:

But bad football better than no football. :)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

As an authoress, grammar doesn't matter to me when it comes to camp reports. All I care about is the information, and I think you'll do fine with that. :D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/24/nfl-mike-daniels-release-rams-free-agent-target/

Rams should make push to pair Mike Daniels with Aaron Donald

By: Cameron DaSilva | 23 hours ago Follow @camdasilva

usatsi_10849157.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 23 hours ago Follow @camdasilva

If the Los Angeles Rams aren’t confident in their current group of defensive linemen, there’s good news: A former Pro Bowler just came on the market thanks to the Green Bay Packers.

Mike Daniels is shockingly available after being cut by the Packers on Wednesday, a surprising move right before camp. A 2017 Pro Bowler, Daniels was set to make $10.7 million this season, the last year of his contract.
The Packers may not have seen much value in keeping the veteran defensive lineman around, but the Rams should absolutely consider signing him. Pairing him with Aaron Donald could be exactly what the Rams were looking for when they signed Ndamukong Suh last offseason.

If the Rams are indeed interested in bringing Daniels aboard, they’ll likely be on his short list of potential suitors, given his desire to play for a Super Bowl contender.

Mike Daniels now becomes a free agent; preference would be to sign with Super-Bowl contender. https://t.co/IGyLj7kZ77
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) July 24, 2019

Daniels is best at 3-technique, which is where Donald plays. However, his versatility along the defensive line allows him to line up at several positions.

He can play directly over the center or line up across from the guard, rushing the passer from any of the interior defensive line spots. Suh brought similar positional flexibility to the table, but he clearly didn’t fit very well as a nose tackle.

Daniels definitely does. Look at this film package from the 2017 season that shows him playing a variety of different positions, the first of which is nose tackle.

Finished up reviewing Mike Daniels season not too long ago. He was an absolute beast against the run from both the 1 & 3-technique. Very quick processor, plays w/outstanding leverage, and has elite play strength: pic.twitter.com/0UTJJT2bUE

— Brandon Thorn (@BrandonThornNFL) July 20, 2018

Daniels’ numbers from last season are nothing to get excited about. He had 18 tackles, two sacks and only one tackle for loss in 10 games, missing the final six due to injury. Despite the lackluster stats, Daniels was still a highly effective pass rusher from the inside.

Take a look at these numbers from Pro Football Focus.

Daniels’ pass-rush win rate of 14.4% from that alignment ranks 6th among qualifiers, as well. pic.twitter.com/f2Wdx46tXX

— PFF (@PFF) July 24, 2019

Furthermore, his 14.3% pass-rushing win rate ranks sixth among all interior defenders since 2013.

There are two questions that come with signing Daniels: How healthy is he after suffering a foot injury last season, and how much will he cost? With this being such a surprising move, one has to wonder whether the Packers released him because he isn’t healthy.

As for his price tag, that’s anyone’s guess. The fact that he’s seeking a Super Bowl contender helps the Rams’ case, potentially meaning he’ll take a discount to join a playoff team.

It doesn’t hurt Los Angeles that Clay Matthews is also on the team, presenting Daniels with the opportunity to reunite with a fellow ex-Packer. Matthews could even help with the recruiting pitch.

The Rams aren’t desperate for help on the defensive line with Donald, Michael Brockers and a combination of Greg Gaines and Sebastian Joseph-Day set to be Week 1 starters. Daniels, however, would take the D-line to another level thanks to his pass-rushing ability and experience in a 3-4 scheme.

With just over $6.1 million in cap space, the Rams might not have the money to sign Daniels right now, but it’s nothing a restructure or roster cut can’t fix. By restructuring Robert Woods’ contract, they could free up another $3.1 million.

At the very least, Les Snead should pick up the phone and give Daniels a call to gauge his interest. Who knows, dangling the idea of playing alongside Donald and reuniting with Matthews could be enough to get a deal done.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With just over $6.1 million in cap space, the Rams might not have the money to sign Daniels right now, but it’s nothing a restructure or roster cut can’t fix. By restructuring Robert Woods’ contract, they could free up another $3.1 million.

With Donald getting very expensive next year (and the year after) and Goff due a huge pay raise (among others) I don't think the Rams want to push more of Woods' contract into the future than they already have. They have kids to play, if they don't give them a chance then cap hell awaits - because there is always some vet available who might play better than the younger players (though might not, too).

oldnotdead

Legend
Russell Okung the Chargers starting LT just advised he suffered an pulmonary embolism. Initial treatment can be several weeks to several months. The main thing is the long term ramifications to his career. It could be a career ender as he will be on anti-coagulants for the rest of his life and will be subject to it re-occurring. It just shows how much physical stress the game places on the players. It's life changing everything from diet to type of exercise. Russell would be foolish to risk his life and not retire.

Their first backup option would be their starting RT Sam Tevi a marginal starter at RT. This could be a major problem for them this year. Trent Williams is holding out in DC and he's better then Okung. But cheapskate Spanos won't want to pay him and say no to Gordon. They already have one of the worst starting RG in the NFL. Unless they find someone their season is beginning to circle the drain before it began.

The last time they had an oline in that much disarray Rivers got pummeled and they missed the playoffs for multiple years.

Shows you how important the oline is and highlights how Snead has a plan to replenish through draft development. Just highlights why the Chargers always disappoint and the Rams are on the rise. It starts in the FO and with the Chargers it's Dean Spanos' son John running it.

The Rams won the battle of LA and now this could sabotage the Charger's season. One bad year at this point will sink that franchise that barely draws 15K of their own fans. I don't see how they are going to support their end of the stadium. Kroenke must wonder about that as well.

oldnotdead

Legend
I would rather extend Fowler now not next year when it probably will be much higher. Taking care of their own should be a higher priority.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With Donald getting very expensive next year (and the year after) and Goff due a huge pay raise (among others) I don't think the Rams want to push more of Woods' contract into the future than they already have.

100% agree.