Armstrong vs SF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Watching the Colts dismantly the Whiners yesterday a couple of things became pretty clear. Our DEs are going to have to avoid doing their usual thing of going way upfield vs Kap....it opens up huge running lanes between the G and T. This will be tough espcially for Quinn I think. Will have to play under control and with discipline. The odds of a DE getting a traditional sack vs. Kap by going high and wide and beating the T and finding his standing in the pocket are slim. The Colts got sacks by taking away his running lanes and getting coverage sacks.
In an effort to get more speed on the field I would like to see Armstrong this week. You could still play the 4/3 but him acting almost as a third S, playing close to the line over Davis (if he plays). He can hit Davis, blitz, drop into coverage or shadow Kap depending on the play....let JL make the call for him. Also want to see Sims more rotating for both Quinn and Long to give a little more resistance to the run.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fearsomefour said:
Watching the Colts dismantly the Whiners yesterday a couple of things became pretty clear. Our DEs are going to have to avoid doing their usual thing of going way upfield vs Kap....it opens up huge running lanes between the G and T. This will be tough espcially for Quinn I think.
I agree, and they will have to play more contain this time. I do expect Quinn to get redirected upfield though on passing downs, and that's when that stupid muppet pulls the ball down and runs away like a girl. It's a catch-22, really. If they don't play aggressive on passing downs, then he'll get more time to throw. But if they DO play aggressively, then you run the risk that holes are going to open up for him to run. Especially when they make their receivers clear out. Someone is going to have to spy.

Get ready for more zone, people. Because that's the only way to combat that kind of offense.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I didn't see the whole niner game, but I did watch them cram FG right down the Colt's throats on their only scoring drive. I think the Colt's just played keep-away after that, there is the blueprint.

Run it and keep them from running= easy win. They are really missing their injured NT and we need to exploit the middle of that defense.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
PowayRamFan said:
I didn't see the whole niner game, but I did watch them cram FG right down the Colt's throats on their only scoring drive. I think the Colt's just played keep-away after that, there is the blueprint.

Run it and keep them from running= easy win. They are really missing their injured NT and we need to exploit the middle of that defense.
I watched the entire game and your point is right on but more importantly i saw the Colts come out and match(and exceed)the Niners physicality on both sides of the ball. It was very impressive to watch,and of course it was a joy to watch as well :bg:

The Colts RB's
Ahmad Bradshaw(5'10 214lbs) T.Richardson(5'9 225lbs) with Donald Brown as a change of pace guy.
The lead blocker Jones?
These guys pounded SF's LB's into submission all day. Very physical group.

The Rams don't have a group like this behind Sam,so we're going to have to find other ways to wear them down.
Of course a good way to keep our ground game relevant would be NOT to promptly fall behind by two or three TD's early.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mojo Ram said:
Of course a good way to keep our ground game relevant would be NOT to promptly fall behind by two or three TD's early.
I nominate this the game plan for Thursday.

Do me a favor and submit it for me, yeah? I'm about to watch some Breaking Bad.

Thanks!

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
fearsomefour said:
Watching the Colts dismantly the Whiners yesterday a couple of things became pretty clear. Our DEs are going to have to avoid doing their usual thing of going way upfield vs Kap....it opens up huge running lanes between the G and T. This will be tough espcially for Quinn I think. Will have to play under control and with discipline. The odds of a DE getting a traditional sack vs. Kap by going high and wide and beating the T and finding his standing in the pocket are slim. The Colts got sacks by taking away his running lanes and getting coverage sacks.
In an effort to get more speed on the field I would like to see Armstrong this week. You could still play the 4/3 but him acting almost as a third S, playing close to the line over Davis (if he plays). He can hit Davis, blitz, drop into coverage or shadow Kap depending on the play....let JL make the call for him. Also want to see Sims more rotating for both Quinn and Long to give a little more resistance to the run.

I believe that this is one of the main reasons the Rams spent a first round pick on ogletree. He can get this done.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Mojo Ram said:
PowayRamFan said:

I watched the entire game and your point is right on but more importantly i saw the Colts come out and match(and exceed)the Niners physicality on both sides of the ball. It was very impressive to watch,and of course it was a joy to watch as well :bg:

The Colts RB's
Ahmad Bradshaw(5'10 214lbs) T.Richardson(5'9 225lbs) with Donald Brown as a change of pace guy.
The lead blocker Stanley Havili(6' 243lbs) :shock:
These guys pounded SF's LB's into submission all day. Very physical group.

The Rams don't have a group like this behind Sam,so we're going to have to find other ways to wear them down.

That was beautiful to see. The media can go fuck themselves w/ their whole "QB driven league" and "it's a passing league" bullshit. I'm becoming a huge supporter of the Colts (not jumping ship) but the way their team is being built. Say what you want about crazy Jim Irsay but he knows winning football.

But like you said Mojo the Rams' RBs have no where near as good as even Donald Brown. And to top it off the best (Daryl) isn't 100%. For better or for worse, I think the best way is to carve them up via air, considering Aldon Smith greatly reduces their pass rush potential and their secondary has been overrated for quite a while now.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
X said:
fearsomefour said:
Watching the Colts dismantly the Whiners yesterday a couple of things became pretty clear. Our DEs are going to have to avoid doing their usual thing of going way upfield vs Kap....it opens up huge running lanes between the G and T. This will be tough espcially for Quinn I think.
I agree, and they will have to play more contain this time. I do expect Quinn to get redirected upfield though on passing downs, and that's when that stupid muppet pulls the ball down and runs away like a girl. It's a catch-22, really. If they don't play aggressive on passing downs, then he'll get more time to throw. But if they DO play aggressively, then you run the risk that holes are going to open up for him to run. Especially when they make their receivers clear out. Someone is going to have to spy.

Get ready for more zone, people. Because that's the only way to combat that kind of offense.

If i'm not mistaken the Rams D played contain on Kaperdick and Wilson last season. Both Long and Quinn set the edge, Kaperdick and Wilson had no where to go.

iced

EastRam said:
X said:
fearsomefour said:

If i'm not mistaken the Rams D played contain on Kaperdick and Wilson last season. Both Long and Quinn set the edge, Kaperdick and Wilson had no where to go.

blake williams is night and day different from walton

plus, we got younger at safety (lost mikkell)

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
fearsomefour said:

Seattle played a lot of man, but, they have the corners to do that. I would like to see a mix of coverages and also see some spying of Kap. If Davis is playing Ogletree will be an interesting match up. Running man/zone mix to try and take Boldin out of the game could be it also....One thing for sure if the last two games are an indication the whiners have one explosive receiver, Davis and one good possession guy in Boldin. If you can force Kap to move in the pocket (without him taking off down field) his accuracy goes away because he doenst know how to move in the pocket yet.
Would still love to see a D with Quinn, Ogletree, Armstrong, JL, Long in the front seven together, even if that meant switching to a bastardized 3/4 on occasion.