Armstrong = our Burfict?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ausmurp

Starter
So I've been watching closely, and Ogletree doesn't look ready to start. In my opinion, Armstrong looks a lot better than Ogletree. I know Armstrong is playing 2nd/3rd stringers, but even still he looks bigger, faster, and just seems to be around the ball. He isn't afraid to hit ANYONE. Why can't we have an UDFA start? It happens, albeit rarely, but it happens. Seriously.

Thoughts?

ausmurp

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wish the coach would see what he could do against 1st team offenses. I'm really worried about Ogletree.

nighttrain

Legend
ausmurp said:
So I've been watching closely, and Ogletree doesn't look ready to start. In my opinion, Armstrong looks a lot better than Ogletree. I know Armstrong is playing 2nd/3rd stringers, but even still he looks bigger, faster, and just seems to be around the ball. He isn't afraid to hit ANYONE. Why can't we have an UDFA start? It happens, albeit rarely, but it happens. Seriously.

Thoughts?
if you are the littlest bit right, nice problem for the Rams
train

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
ausmurp said:
I wish the coach would see what he could do against 1st team offenses. I'm really worried about Ogletree.

Way too early to worry about any of our rookies. We drafted athletes. Not 'safe, instant starter who will be good but not great' types of players.

ausmurp

Starter
iBruce said:
ausmurp said:

Way too early to worry about any of our rookies. We drafted athletes. Not 'safe, instant starter who will be good but not great' types of players.

I think it is safe to say a ton of people are worried about Ogletree. And we drafted him to start - instant starter, and expected him to be able to handle that. I know not all 1st rd picks can handle that, but man do we ever need him to.

All I'm saying is, Armstrong has looked better as an athlete, than Ogletree. Ogletree appears afraid of contact and Armstrong is killing people every chance he gets. Ogletree's pass coverage is disappointing thus far. I'm just saying I wish Fisher would open up to the idea that Armstrong might be a gem.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ausmurp said:
iBruce said:
ausmurp said:

I think it is safe to say a ton of people are worried about Ogletree. And we drafted him to start - instant starter, and expected him to be able to handle that. I know not all 1st rd picks can handle that, but man do we ever need him to.

All I'm saying is, Armstrong has looked better as an athlete, than Ogletree. Ogletree appears afraid of contact and Armstrong is killing people every chance he gets. Ogletree's pass coverage is disappointing thus far. I'm just saying I wish Fisher would open up to the idea that Armstrong might be a gem.
I think Fisher would start whoever puts his defense in a better position to succeed. If that's m'boy Ray-Ray, then that's who will start. Same thing happened with Richarson and Pead last year. 2nd rounder lost out to a 7th.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
ausmurp posting from down under:
Welcome to the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap: :cheers:

I'm guessing that you're from Australia from your moniker but stop by the members map and let us know for sure where you are from. :bg:

I disagree that Ray Ray is looking more athletic than Ogletree. Ogletree's athleticism just isn't translating to good stuff on the field. Too early for talk like that and IMO you're ignoring the good stuff that Ogletree has done in practice.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I think Ray Ray is only weighing in at 225... he's not bigger than Ogletree.

I also haven't seen Ogletree shying away from contact in any way, shape, or form.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I could see Armstrong starting over Witherspoon eventually, but I don't think Ogletree has done anything to lose his job as of yet.

X said:
ausmurp said:
iBruce said:
ausmurp said:

I think Fisher would start whoever puts his defense in a better position to succeed. 'boy If that's mRay-Ray, then that's who will start. Same thing happened with Richarson and Pead last year. 2nd rounder lost out to a 7th.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

thats where youre wrong boss...ray ray is my boy! love this guy!

nighttrain

Legend
Couple of seasons, Ray Ray, Laurintias, and the Tree could be a heck of a LB corp for several years
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DegenR(g)ambler said:
Only one way to settle this.

1fHb2.jpeg

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Ogletree's light bulb hasn't come on yet. Ray Ray's has.
Ogletree is still thinking before he reacts, thinks where he should be and what he should do. That can be normal with rooks. Not really a big deal.
He has the talent and played the position at a high level in college. So no real worries. It will click for him. He has a lot of help.
The bulb could click ata anytime.
There is some validity to seeing what a player like Ray Ray can do against 1's. It's even more valid for skill position players. What they can glean from his performance against the other teams scrubs is how he reacts, can he complete his assignment, etc. A LB that can play his position right can play it against anyone to a point.
Yes Ray Ray needs a few more pounds on him. But in this D speed is the key. JL was around 245 then he lost 10 pounds so he's playing Mike at 235 ish and playing it well. So a OLB at 225 ish isn't out of reason.

If we were to pick up a LB of waivers I'd like a big heavy run stuffing one.

nighttrain

Legend
Yamahopper said:
Ogletree is still thinking before he reacts, thinks where he should be and what he should do. That can be normal with rooks. Not really a big deal.
He has the talent and played the position at a high level in college. So no real worries. It will click for him. He has a lot of help.
There is some validity to seeing what a player like Ray Ray can do against 1's. It's even more valid for skill position players. What they can glean from his performance against the other teams scrubs is how he reacts, can he complete his assignment, etc. A LB that can play his position right can play it against anyone to a point.
Yes Ray Ray needs a few more pounds on him. But in this D speed is the key. JL was around 245 then he lost 10 pounds so he's playing Mike at 235 ish and playing it well. So a OLB at 225 ish isn't out of reason.

If we were to pick up a LB of waivers I'd like a big heavy run stuffing one.

Hoping for the same thing for Isaiah Pead, quit thinking and just run to daylight
train

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
DegenR(g)ambler said:
Only one way to settle this.

1fHb2.jpeg

Roger Moore Bond? Now THERE's a worthless pull. Lost a little respect for you there Paulie. :sly:

I don't see where Tree is shying from contact in any way. And he is playing against starters. I like the way Ray Ray plays but IMO, if we were to see Ray starting over Tree, it would not be a good sign. Ray Ray is playing with a lot of energy and emotion but it doesn't appear to me that he is actually in very good position on a lot of plays. Sorry but at this point, I think he would get burned pretty bad by 1st stringers. I would certainly like to see it if Fish wants to give him a shot at the ones. But I would rather see Tree and Spoon in at this point.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
Ray Ray has been really good against 2 and 3's, and although I haven't remembered a particular tackle or pass break up of letter was on...I think it's too early to tell, but we have 2 more preseason games to find out!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
Roger Moore Bond? Now THERE's a worthless pull. Lost a little respect for you there Paulie. :sly:
You're crazy. Roger Moore was the shit.
I could understand your reaction if I put up a picture of Pierce Brosnan or Timothy Dalton.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm with Memento.

I am stoked Ray-Ray is looking good.

But...

I HAVE ZERO WORRIES WITH OGLETREE. I mean... how can anyone really be worried with just parts of two games of playing time under his belt? Not me!

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
CGI_Ram said:
I'm with Memento.

I am stoked Ray-Ray is looking good.

But...

I HAVE ZERO WORRIES WITH OGLETREE. I mean... how can anyone really be worried with just parts of two games of playing time under his belt? Not me!

This is what I was trying to say. Give him time.

ausmurp

Starter
Yamahopper said:

This is all I'm trying to point out. I agree the bulb could click at any time, not saying it wont. But I wish we could see what Armstrong can do against 1s.

As a huge fan of the NFL/College football game, and someone who calculates every step/decision I make in life - I'm a very logical person/am a software developer, which probably plays a huge role in that - I have a tendency to be non-bias even with my favorite teams being the Rams and Ohio State Buckeyes (GO BUCKS! O-H!). From this standpoint, watching as much as I do of the draft, college football, how other rookies do on other teams, I can tell you that I am worried about Ogletree. There were guys taken later in the draft, Bostic for Bears, Brown for Ravens, that are playing very well. Where we drafted Ogletree we expected him to come in and start, and so far he is not looking near as good as other rookie LBs in the class. I am worried and rightfully so. If Dunbar was not suspended I fully believe Ogletree would be backing up Dunbar and Witherspoon. Also one thing that a lot of more Biased fans always forget is that half or more of a draft class will not pan out, and many 1st/2nd rd picks will be busts - by busts it is meant that they will not produce early enough or at all to justify where they were drafted. I think Pead falls into this category and think he should be cut after the season. Based on where Quick was taken and the WRs in that class, he is close but not yet. I still question why we drafted a 'project' WR in the beginning of the second rd when we could've had Jefferey, Hilton, etc. Hilton especially, I thought it was obvious he would be very good in the NFL.

And for those saying Ogletree is not shying away from contact...huh? Come on guys, you have watched the first 2 preseason games. I'm not talking about practice, I'm talking about games against other teams. He is definately missing tackles big time and avoided tackling Lacy on at least 1 play - it was weird. Meanwhile Armstrong is killing guys out there. And when I said Armstrong looks bigger and faster than Ogletree, that is what I meant, he looks it. He may not be, I think they're actually almost the exact same size, but he plays bigger and faster - probably because it appears to have 'clicked' for him and not for Ogletree yet. I can't wait until Ogletree gets it, because when he does, we might have 2 really good OLBs from this draft class.

My $2.00, because cents are overrated :)

Thanks for the welcome. New to the forum but not new to the Rams or NFL as a 20 yr fan.