ArkyRamFan Mock 1.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Heh....I just joined and my first post is a mock!! Probably not the last either...... I've been working on this one for awhile and I would appreciate all comments both pro and con. As it is written, "Iron sharpens iron."

So here it is.....here is a 4 round mock that I believe is a good mix of BPA and need.

Round 1 Pick 15 Paxton Lynch QB
Paxton Lynch at 15 in the 1st is a no brainer. Rams fans can only hope he is there as there are a multitude of rumblings that the Browns, Whiners and Eagles will all go QB in the first. We shall see.......My plan is to bring Lynch along slowly while developing Sean Mannion. Foles and Keenum will fight it out for the starting job in TC and the loser will be cut or traded. Sean Mannion will be the back up this year.

Round 2 Pick 43 Kenny Clark DT
Clark with our first pick in the 2nd would be a smart move by Fish and Snead.. Many Rams fans will bemoan yet another defensive lineman but fail to realize that now that we have lost Nick Fairly Michael Brockers is really the only beefy guy we have in the middle of the line on the roster. Aaron Donald is more of a up the field gap shooter and at 285 lbs is not all that stout. Besides let us recall that Mr. Brockers is in his walk year and there is, unfortunately, a reasonable chance that we will NOT resign him. (Sadly....I recall many of my fellow Rams' fans saying there was NO way that Fish would let J. Jenkins get away.) But that didn't happen, did it?

Round 2 Pick 45 Kendall Fuller CB
A guy like Kendall Fuller also makes plenty of sense now that Janoris is gone. Many are pinning their hopes that E.J. Gaines recovers and is ready to assume Jenks' spot in the lineup. Sorry, I am not as optimistic for several reasons:
A.) Lis Franc foot injuries can be slow to heal and cause future residual problems. And as a corner Mr. Gaines will need both of his feet and all the speed he can muster.
B.) Gaines had his share of injuries in college as I recall. This may be a reason he dropped all the way to the 6th round. But at any rate can a defensive team like the Rams take the chance that he all of a sudden becomes the picture of health? I think not. Let us not forget that J. Jenkins in spite of his flub ups did stay healthy and on the field. At this point we cannot say the same for Mr. Gaines.

Round 3 Pick 76 Braxton Miller WR
I am not all that exited regarding the quality of WRs and TEs in this draft. Outside of Doctson and Henry really what is there to get excited about? I certainly understand the line of thought that we MUST improve this unit if we are ever going to win consistently; but reaching for questionable and/or flawed players in a down year for WRs and TEs is a recipe for disaster not success. Miller in the third would be a solid pick. Maybe even a guy like Pharaoh Cooper or a Tyler Boyd if he drops a bit. Any of these would help push the envelope as it were without making any huge reaches.

Round 4 Pick 110 Tyler Higbee TE
A good prospect whose receiving numbers improved every year in college. Hopefully he can block well enough to stay on the field as a rookie.

To sum it up..... I think a draft like this would improve the Rams greatly.

I would also like to say that I am happy to be a member of Ramsondemand and look forward to many a discussion with ya'll.

Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not much of a mock guy but it seems your reasoning is sound. I like Paxton at 15 or if we can figure out a not too painful way to get ahead of the Iggles.

Most of all - welcome aboard.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Welcome aboard @ArkyRamsFan and for your first post and thread I give you a standing O.
53914370-a3d4-11e3-9b03-a5ff66e534f3_BillMurrayFistpump.gif

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I like your draft. The problems I have are, 1) Miller likely isn't around in round 3. 2)We have Roberson and Joyner as well as newly signed Sensabaugh if Gaines can't go. So taking a corner early seems like a big risk avoiding the more problem areas. We might be able to get a decent WR with one of those second round picks. Or even Hunter Henry if we're lucky. In your scenario, our offense is still epically shit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
(y)Welcome aboard you should enjoy the good knowledgeable Ram fans here in this forum. I liked your entire first four rounds of picks very much. The QB/WR/TE selections would boost this offense. I would consider this Mock Draft to be a very smart long range draft.

The 2nd rd selection of NT Kenny Clark would be a outstanding selection. Rams do not have a back up NT on our roster currently. If NT Brockers was to depart in free agency in less than a yr from now this defense would be in bad condition. If Brockers was to be injured this yr who would be the Rams starting NT:eek:?

The CB selection with the 2nd second round pick fills the same issues as the NT Clark selection. In less than a yr from now one starting CB & our top outside reserve CB will enter free agency as it stands today. The loss of those two will be a sizeable HOLE. Having a talented rookie drafted this yr would prevent much concerns over the future CB issues. fuller could very well be our starting outside CB in 2017 with the two losses in FA'cy.

I believe that WR Braxton Miller will still be on the board when we select @ #76 in the 3rd rd. He would be a very good catch in this spot. Miller is rated as the #109th in 2016 draft prospects in NFL.com & rated @ #70th in the top CBS draft prospects.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Welcome aboard and thank you for showing us your idea for a Rams draft! I differ slightly from yours in that my 2nd rounders went to supplement our rookie QB and improve the offense. I don't think we could go wrong with either approach but I can see our next four picks after the QB being the positions that you, and I, have selected. They just make too much sense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Heh....I just joined and my first post is a mock!! Probably not the last either...... I've been working on this one for awhile and I would appreciate all comments both pro and con. As it is written, "Iron sharpens iron."

So here it is.....here is a 4 round mock that I believe is a good mix of BPA and need.

Paxton Lynch at 15 in the 1st is a no brainer. Rams fans can only hope he is there as there are a multitude of rumblings that the Browns, Whiners and Eagles will all go QB in the first. We shall see.......My plan is to bring Lynch along slowly while developing Sean Mannion. Foles and Keenum will fight it out for the starting job in TC and the loser will be cut or traded. Sean Mannion will be the back up this year.

Clark with our first pick in the 2nd would be a smart move by Fish and Snead.. Many Rams fans will bemoan yet another defensive lineman but fail to realize that now that we have lost Nick Fairly Michael Brockers is really the only beefy guy we have in the middle of the line on the roster. Aaron Donald is more of a up the field gap shooter and at 285 lbs is not all that stout. Besides let us recall that Mr. Brockers is in his walk year and there is, unfortunately, a reasonable chance that we will NOT resign him. (Sadly....I recall many of my fellow Rams' fans saying there was NO way that Fish would let J. Jenkins get away.) But that didn't happen, did it?

A guy like Kendall Fuller also makes plenty of sense now that Janoris is gone. Many are pinning their hopes that E.J. Gaines recovers and is ready to assume Jenks' spot in the lineup. Sorry, I am not as optimistic for several reasons:
A.) Lis Franc foot injuries can be slow to heal and cause future residual problems. And as a corner Mr. Gaines will need both of his feet and all the speed he can muster.
B.) Gaines had his share of injuries in college as I recall. This may be a reason he dropped all the way to the 6th round. But at any rate can a defensive team like the Rams take the chance that he all of a sudden becomes the picture of health? I think not. Let us not forget that J. Jenkins in spite of his flub ups did stay healthy and on the field. At this point we cannot say the same for Mr. Gaines.

I am not all that exited regarding the quality of WRs and TEs in this draft. Outside of Doctson and Henry really what is there to get excited about? I certainly understand the line of thought that we MUST improve this unit if we are ever going to win consistently; but reaching for questionable and/or flawed players in a down year for WRs and TEs is a recipe for disaster not success. Miller in the third would be a solid pick. Maybe even a guy like Pharaoh Cooper or a Tyler Boyd if he drops a bit. Any of these would help push the envelope as it were without making any huge reaches.

A good prospect whose receiving numbers improved every year in college. Hopefully he can block well enough to stay on the field as a rookie.

I would also like to say that I am happy to be a member of Ramsondemand and look forward to many a discussion with ya'll.

Comments?
This is a nice sound Draft that I could live with.But I'd rather go DE than DT!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Welcome to the board :cheers:

I'm not a fan of Lynch at all. I like the rest of the players you drafted but i would prefer to see more skilled guys on offense.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Welcome to the board!

I like the prospects you picked, especially Higbee one of my favorite prospects in the draft, I don't know if a guy with his upside will be there in the 4th in a weak TE class, but that would be awesome

My one issue is going with defensive depth over immediate offensive help. Clark and Fuller are nice prospects, but they dont really have a chance to start this year. I think we can get developmental depth guys especially at DT the deepest position in the draft a little later in the draft and focus on offense where we need immediate help early. Additionally, I don't know how much stock the Rams put into a backup NT, Westbrook was our backup NT last year until we lost both of our starting DEs to injurie. Lynch and Miller are high upside guys, but they are very raw and they are not ready to play in NFL yet. We haven't added anything offensively in FA, so with those developmental prospects coming in as our major offensive additions we are basically trotting out the same offense from last year minus Cook and I am not comfortable with that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Comments?

I would pick WR Boyd before either of the second rounders. Otherwise looks fine.

There seems to be a bit of reporting that Houston is seriously considering Braxton Miller in round 1

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like your draft. The problems I have are, 1) Miller likely isn't around in round 3. 2)We have Roberson and Joyner as well as newly signed Sensabaugh if Gaines can't go. So taking a corner early seems like a big risk avoiding the more problem areas. We might be able to get a decent WR with one of those second round picks. Or even Hunter Henry if we're lucky. In your scenario, our offense is still epically crap.

JackDRams,

Well that was the point I was trying to make when I said I was not impressed with the quality or quantity of WRs or TEs in this draft. In other words, I don't think we can "fix" the offense in this draft. And even though I have us getting our franchise QB and an athletic WR unfortunately there are just not enough impact players available.

Therefore rather than reach for players in an attempt to fix the offense I'd rather fill holes and build for the future with some defensive players that could be starters for years to come.

Also, Joyner is exclusively a slot corner and should never play outside the numbers as he is too small and slow. Sensabaugh/Roberson are back up guys at best at this point in time. IMO if either of these guys are starting we are in trouble as every team we play will target them and avoid whatever side TruJo is on.

Besides remember as long as Fish is the HC we are and always will be a defensive first team. We cannot hope to win if we neglect holes and depth on the defense in a desperate attempt to fix the offense.

WHAT SAY YE?

Last edited:

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Welcome to the board!

I like the prospects you picked, especially Higbee one of my favorite prospects in the draft, I don't know if a guy with his upside will be there in the 4th in a weak TE class, but that would be awesome

My one issue is going with defensive depth over immediate offensive help. Clark and Fuller are nice prospects, but they dont really have a chance to start this year. I think we can get developmental depth guys especially at DT the deepest position in the draft a little later in the draft and focus on offense where we need immediate help early. Additionally, I don't know how much stock the Rams put into a backup NT, Westbrook was our backup NT last year until we lost both of our starting DEs to injurie. Lynch and Miller are high upside guys, but they are very raw and they are not ready to play in NFL yet. We haven't added anything offensively in FA, so with those developmental prospects coming in as our major offensive additions we are basically trotting out the same offense from last year minus Cook and I am not comfortable with that.

StealYoGurley,

I beg to differ. I would expect that Kendall Fuller will be starting at corner by week 6 or so. Fish is not afraid of playing rookies in the secondary as witness J. Jenkins and L. Joyner. I can't see either Roberson or Sensabaugh keeping a talent like Fuller on the bench for long.

And, yes, we will in all likelihood be trotting out much the same offense as last year but with a significant difference. I expect that with a full year of Gurley, a developing and maturing O line, a more efficient Keenum instead of Foles and an OC like Boras instead of Cignetti we should play better and even score some more points. Not a lot of points mind you but better than last year.

WHAT SAY YE?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
JackDRams,

Well that was the point I was trying to make when I said I was not impressed with the quality or quantity of WRs or TEs in this draft. In other words, I don't think we can "fix" the offense in this draft. And even though I have us getting our franchise QB and an athletic WR unfortunately there are just not enough impact players available.

Therefore rather than reach for players in an attempt to fix the offense I'd rather fill holes and build for the future with some defensive players that could be starters for years to come.

Also, Joyner is exclusively a slot corner and should never play outside the numbers as he is too small and slow. Sensabaugh/Roberson are back up guys at best at this point in time. IMO if either of these guys are starting we are in trouble as every team we play will target them and avoid whatever side TruJo is on.

Besides remember as long as Fish is the HC we are and always will be a defensive first team. We cannot hope to win if we neglect holes and depth on the defense in a desperate attempt to fix the offense.

WHAT SAY YE?

The big difference in our opinions is clearly the talent of Roberson and Sensabaugh. I do believe that Roberson and Sensabaugh have the ability to start if Gaines isn't a go. So with the pick you used on Fuller, I'm going best offensive weapon available. Because I do see some value in some of the receivers available in the second, whether that be a TE or WR. Also, since there is speculation that Braxton Miller will be a first round pick, that blows up your idea to get him in the third, where we could take a shot at a corner here. This FO has had great success finding corners all throughout the draft. So if the draft went something like Lynch, Clark, Thomas/Boyd/Henry and then a corner, I'll be much more relieved. Expecting the offense to just be better because, is one of those "if" bs scenarios. Well if Boras gets it together, if the o line improves, yada yada. I don't play that. Can't ignore the major weaknesses on the team for the outside shot that Gaines cant return to form. I'd rather gamble that he does, and if not, fall back on Roberson.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
The big difference in our opinions is clearly the talent of Roberson and Sensabaugh. I do believe that Roberson and Sensabaugh have the ability to start if Gaines isn't a go. So with the pick you used on Fuller, I'm going best offensive weapon available. Because I do see some value in some of the receivers available in the second, whether that be a TE or WR. Also, since there is speculation that Braxton Miller will be a first round pick, that blows up your idea to get him in the third, where we could take a shot at a corner here. This FO has had great success finding corners all throughout the draft. So if the draft went something like Lynch, Clark, Thomas/Boyd/Henry and then a corner, I'll be much more relieved. Expecting the offense to just be better because, is one of those "if" bs scenarios. Well if Boras gets it together, if the o line improves, yada yada. I don't play that. Can't ignore the major weaknesses on the team for the outside shot that Gaines cant return to form. I'd rather gamble that he does, and if not, fall back on Roberson.

JackDRams,
Well I see your point except that on my board there is no way Hunter Henry is still there in the middle of the second. Also, let's say for the sake of discussion that B. Miller is gone in the first like you assert. In my mind I don't see much difference between a T. Boyd or a M. Thomas than someone like Pharaoh Cooper or Leonte Caroo both of whom should be available in the 3rd round. Guess what I am getting at is Kendall Fuller easily takes Jenks's spot while these other WR prospects are probably all slated to spend the year as the 4th or even 5th receiver while they learn their craft.

Of course that's not to say they won't develop however, it is more along the lines of where do we get the most "bang for our buck." Just don't see much to get excited about between Thomas, Boyd, Cooper and Caroo when compared to a guy who could be starting and the long term answer at corner.

WHAT SAY YE?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
StealYoGurley,

I beg to differ. I would expect that Kendall Fuller will be starting at corner by week 6 or so. Fish is not afraid of playing rookies in the secondary as witness J. Jenkins and L. Joyner. I can't see either Roberson or Sensabaugh keeping a talent like Fuller on the bench for long.

And, yes, we will in all likelihood be trotting out much the same offense as last year but with a significant difference. I expect that with a full year of Gurley, a developing and maturing O line, a more efficient Keenum instead of Foles and an OC like Boras instead of Cignetti we should play better and even score some more points. Not a lot of points mind you but better than last year.

WHAT SAY YE?

Gaines will be over a year removed from his foot injury so he will have to jump 3 guys in addition to recovering from an Injury of his own.

Even with Gurley and the the O-line getting better without significant additions to the pass game the Offense could still be worse because he would see stacked boxes all game. Jared Cook was terrible but he was still one of our more productive receivers. IMO the Talent level on our offense is not good enough to rely soley on internal improvement.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Gaines will be over a year removed from his foot injury so he will have to jump 3 guys in addition to recovering from an Injury of his own.

Even with Gurley and the the O-line getting better without significant additions to the pass game the Offense could still be worse because he would see stacked boxes all game. Jared Cook was terrible but he was still one of our more productive receivers. IMO the Talent level on our offense is not good enough to rely soley on internal improvement.

StealYoGurley,

I agree with the bolded part of your statement but I guess we differ on how to go about doing something about it.

As I've stated in my mock and subsequent statements I do not see enough quality playmakers in this draft to produce any substantial improvement. Let me give you a case in point: By selecting Paxton Lynch at #15 we get our QB for the future but we also miss out on the 2 or 3 WRs that could have come in and made a difference. Guys like J. Doctson, L. Treadwell and W. Fuller. So which way should we go? Most would agree to get the QB but on our Rams that means not addressing the WR playmaker hole until later.

So do you see the problem with this scenario? We have to pass on the scant few play makers in this draft so we can (finally!) get our QB. Oh, and I strongly think that Hunter Henry will be long gone before we pick in the 2nd round. So, who do we take at that point? What "play making" WR or TE is going to be found in the 2nd?

I've said all that to say this. We needed to sign some talented people in this last FA period. I was unhappy that we did not acquire someone like Marvin Jones or Travis Benjamin. Even a TE like Ladarius Green would have helped. Instead we did nothing and now are looking at a draft pool that is bleak at those positions to say the least.

At any rate it would be a mistake to reach to fill needs at this point. We need to be very active when the June cuts occur but in the meantime we definitely do not need to reach in the draft. That is always a recipe for disaster.

Last edited: