Arizona Cardinals Preview

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/15/arizona-cardinals-2018-preview

10 Thoughts on the 2018 Cardinals, Who Are Talented But Face a Transition Year
By Andy Benoit

cardinals_bradford_football_05804_c0-265-5348-3383_s885x516.jpg

Washington Times

1. Just one NFC defense blitzed more than Arizona's last year: Carolina’s … which was led by new Cardinals head coach Steve Wilks. It was Wilks’s only season as a coordinator; prior to that, he spent 11 years as a defensive backs coach for the Panthers, Chargers and Bears. He puts unique pressure on his defensive backs, as many of his blitzes involve single-high zone coverage, not man-to-man.

By converting a pass defender into a pass rusher, you become one body short in coverage, enlarging the voids in your zones. Wilks was comfortable with this in Carolina because he had outstanding linebackers in Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis. His Arizona linebackers, recent first-round picks Deone Bucannon and Haason Reddick, have comparable speed to those Panthers, but not yet nearly as much on-field awareness.

What Wilks didn’t have in Carolina was a shutdown corner, which he now has in Patrick Peterson. Don’t be surprised if many of his Arizona zones deploy Peterson in iso-man coverage outside. Wilks also didn’t have a dynamic slot defender. Second-year safety Budda Baker might not be a true slot corner, but considering that’s where many of Wilks’s blitzes derive, Baker's athletic burst could ultimately make him a cornerstone there.

2. What might keep Baker out of the slot is Arizona’s lack of depth at safety. The options behind him consist of last year’s sixth-rounder Rudy Ford, undrafted rookies or, perhaps, yet-to-be converted corners. Depth is not a concern only at safety. Arizona has a strong starting defense but the NFL’s weakest bench.

3. No defender has created more negative plays for offenses over the last two years than Chandler Jones. He has the right side defensive end spot locked down. At left defensive end are two intriguing talents. First is Markus Golden, coming off an October ACL injury. Second is Reddick, who spent most of training camp at linebacker but should inevitably get a crack at rushing the passer, which was his forte in college. If either fully emerges, Arizona’s edge rushing will be outstanding. If both emerge, it could be unstoppable.

4. If third-year pro Robert Nkemdiche doesn’t hone some of his extensive raw talent in 2018, he never will. Nkemdiche’s athletic frame and initial quickness are a purer stylistic fit in Wilks’s 4-3 than they were in departed defensive coordinator James Bettcher’s hybrid 3-4.

5. Keep an eye on Olsen Pierre. The undrafted fourth-year defensive lineman jumps out on film. He’s proficient on the stunts and twists that Wilks features and has the tenacity to consistently make plays late in the down.

6. Sam Bradford has orchestrated a variety of offenses. During his brief stint as Minnesota’s starter last season he flourished on the type of quicker underneath throws that define much of Cardinals offensive coordinator Mike McCoy’s system.

That said … the Cardinals, though talented enough to harbor a win-now mentality, are likely in a rebuilding season. And, notably, Josh Rosen was the most pro-ready quarterback in this year’s draft. At UCLA he worked many of the route combinations McCoy will feature.Expect Rosen to take over before season’s end.

7. Larry Fitzgerald is the only known entity of this young receiving corps. At nearly 35, he’s as productive as ever, but through different means than early in his career. He’s no longer swift enough to consistently win on the perimeter, but his patience and route running mechanics have translated remarkably well to the slot. It’s a great reminder that speed can be overrated; as a receiver, defenders have to react to YOUR tempo. Super savvy technique can be enough to create separation.

8. He’d never say this, but last year’s broken wrist was a financial blessing in disguise for David Johnson. He saved a year on his legs and got closer to the end of a rookie contract that pays just under $2 million this season, making him the best bargain in pro football (if not pro sports). Johnson’s combination of lateral strength and agility is unparalleled. A play called “just give David the ball” would constitute smart, not lazy, coaching.

9. It’ll be interesting to see how much fullback Derrick Coleman plays.Johnson’s running style might not be conducive to a lead-blocker.

10. Yes, it’s a retooled offensive line, but not necessarily a better one.Left tackle D.J. Humphries is gifted, but injuries have cost him 14 games in two years. Left guard Mike Iupati is too prone to mental mistakes and physical breakdowns. Center A.Q. Shipley is out with a torn ACL, so the Cards are counting on third-round rookie Mason Cole.

At right guard, Justin Pugh’s $15.75 million guaranteed free agent contract makes it easy to forget that he was wildly up and down for the Giants last year. And thanks to a weird mix of injuries, great plays and execution gaffes, 10th-year right tackle Andre Smith remains unofficially the NFL’s biggest enigma.

BOTTOM LINE: Once injuries start hitting, this team will crumble. Expect a trying transition year in Arizona.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
OL will be the Cards achellis heel. Bradford and Rosen will be running for their lives. Too bad they're not running type QB's.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would say the chance of a Sam Bradford injury this year is nearly 100%.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I know we all like to poke fun at Sam - I'll admit I have had my moments there too - but I think we all know that one of these years, he is going to play a complete season and when he does, he will produce for his team.

Az looks like they will have O Line issues - which probably isn't a good fit for Sam and they play in a division with us - also not a good sign for him.

Still, while I'd like to see the Cardinals suck for the next 5 or 6 decades, I hope Sam finds some success in this league.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know we all like to poke fun at Sam - I'll admit I have had my moments there too - but I think we all know that one of these years, he is going to play a complete season and when he does, he will produce for his team.

Every year he gets older decreases the odds of that happening. If he goes this entire season as a starter and remains injury free, I will transfer all my ROD dollars to you.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
To be fair Sam did have one very good season (Vikings 2016). But the 2018 Cards aint the 2016 Vikings. It looks like a dink and dunk offense. So they will need their D to ball out.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I fully expect us to knock out Bradford. We've knocked out so many Cardinal quarterbacks over the years. Palmer, Kolb, Max Hall, Skelton, etc.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
3. No defender has created more negative plays for offenses over the last two years than Chandler Jones. He has the right side defensive end spot locked down.
Give that man $30 million a year!
6. Sam Bradford has orchestrated a variety of offenses. During his brief stint as Minnesota’s starter last season he flourished on the type of quicker underneath throws that define much of
...his career.

Fixed it for them.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Alot of the NFL "professionals " are high on the cardinals defense .

They look like a 8-8 at best team to me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Watching Cards @ Saints. Saints owned 1st team vs 1st team in the trenches. Cards got run on with ease. Bradford was safe and smooth. Still not seeing any real weapons besides DJ and Fitz.

Rosen looks good. Decisive, poised.

Cards defense has 4 takeaways but the Saints started Taysom Hill(who?) at QB and he's been handing out turnovers like candy the entire first half.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I would put this in this thread .

Last Wednesday I had to fly to Tampa Florida for work. On my flight I could have sworn I saw Bruce Arians. Looked just like him even with that stupid beanie hat. I was thinking he was flying down to Tampa Bay to talk about a possible coordinator position or something. Just my thought.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Saw their last game, well the first half. Bradford looked like his normal unnecessarily scared self with overly quick checkdowns. Rosen looked excellent. Kid will be starting by midseason no doubt in my mind.

Cards aren't good enough roster-wise but they have some players and we can't overlook them.