Are we gonna run more than we pass this year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Two schools of thought on that.

1. Fisher is a ground & pound coach who likes to let his defense dictate the pace of the game
2. The game has evolved since then, and Fisher is fully aware of that. More passes of the short yardage variety (with YAC) could be just as good as a hand-off. In fact, that's what they call those bubble-screens and laterals ... "Long Hand-offs."

So, what do you think the pass-to-run ratio will end up being this year? For reference, last year it was 557 pass attempts, and 410 rushing attempts. It's also important to note that the Rams' most experienced rushers are Pead and Richardson (1 year NFL exp), and their most experienced pass catcher is Cook (4 years NFL exp) and behind him is Pettis and Kendricks (2 years NFL exp).

Good lord this is a young team.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I've never agreed that Fisher is a "ground and pound" coach. When he had a capable QB (McNair) the Titans offenses usually ranked in the top half or higher in passing.

Fisher is a coach that looks at what he has and makes it work.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sum1BTRthnU said:
I've never agreed that Fisher is a "ground and pound" coach. When he had a capable QB (McNair) the Titans offenses usually ranked in the top half or higher in passing.

Yeah, I agree. I went back and researched his offenses right after he was hired, and I don't subscribe to that school of thought either. If anything, he's more pragmatic and adjusts to what his personnel can provide. Now, with this new crop of athletic playmakers, what's to keep him from turning up the heat and airing it out?

Not much. The only hurdle I can see right now is inexperience.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
My thoughts are Fisher gets the ground and pound label due to the fact that his teams POUND the other team not necessarily by running the ball. But by just beating the shyte out of you.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
We didn't trade up for Austin in order to grind it out nor did we sign Cook to block
Sam should have a probowl season

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:

1. Fisher is a ground & pound coach who likes to let his defense dictate the pace of the game
2. The game has evolved since then, and Fisher is fully aware of that. More passes of the short yardage variety (with YAC) could be just as good as a hand-off. In fact, that's what they call those bubble-screens and laterals ... "Long Hand-offs."

So, what do you think the pass-to-run ratio will end up being this year? For reference, last year it was 557 pass attempts, and 410 rushing attempts. It's also important to note that the Rams' most experienced rushers are Pead and Richardson (1 year NFL exp), and their most experienced pass catcher is Cook (4 years NFL exp) and behind him is Pettis and Kendricks (2 years NFL exp).

Good lord this is a young team.

Nope.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sum1BTRthnU said:

Hey Zombie.....Yeah, I agree with you and X, Fisher adapts to the talent he has. We ARE young. Austin is so exciting like a roller coaster in an old park, and your hopin to God the restraints are good!
With Jared Cook, it's like getting that excellent deal on a Rolex, and you're hoping it's real the next day.

I think our offense will explode, and it will catch the league by surprise. jmo.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
EastRam said:
My thoughts are Fisher gets the ground and pound label due to the fact that his teams POUND the other team not necessarily by running the ball. But by just beating the shyte out of you.
Fisher gets the ground and pound label because after mcnair he hasnt had a decent qb to depend on.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Chris Johnson isn't exactly a "ground and pounder" type back.

Besides...I don't think the way the offseason has went will mean ground and pound. The guys they added on offense are all speed demons (the main guys are) plus Jake Long for blind side protection. It's just built for a pass-oriented scheme.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
More "Pass oriented" sounds better. I bet it's still pretty balanced, leaning towards pass.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Depends all on the score. If we lead early in games he will run a little more if we get behind we will pass more. Like you guys have said he isn't a ground and pound coach he adjusts to what is working and exploits weaknesses.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
X said:

1. Fisher is a ground & pound coach who likes to let his defense dictate the pace of the game. He has built a strong good defense rather fast here. He favors defense & does well at it. He has favor'd the defense thus far where he has drafted heavy & high with 2 first rders & a 2nd & two 3rds. He has signed three big $$$ DL'ers in Long,Hayes & Langford, a MLB'er in JL & a CB in Cortland ton of UFA cap $$$. But he did not forget about the offense either with 1 first rder two 2nd rders & a 3rd plus big $$$ UFA signings of two OL'ers in Jake & Scott plus a TE in Jared. Its close to being balanced but still has a tilt to defense. This 2013 offense is NOT a ground & pound O. Its has more fresh speed & has the look of killing other teams by millions of small cuts to bleed them out late when the defense will get stronger & takeaway greedy kill instincts .

2. The game has evolved since then, and Fisher is fully aware of that. More passes of the short yardage variety (with YAC) could be just as good as a hand-off. In fact, that's what they call those bubble-screens and laterals ... "Long Hand-offs." Snead & Fisher made a very big decision Early to go & stick with Sam Bradford a NON RUN QB over the new fresh fashioned & effective running QB's schemes. Fisher after a year off from the NFL came back to win it all before he rides off into the western sunset & he will do it with the Rams. The NFL will need to evolved to catch up to Fisher!

So what do you think the pass-to-run ratio will end up being this year? For reference, last year it was 557 pass attempts, and 410 rushing attempts. It's also important to note that the Rams' most experienced rushers are Pead and Richardson (1 year NFL exp), and their most experienced pass catcher is Cook (4 years NFL exp) and behind him is Pettis and Kendricks (2 years NFL exp).

All depends on the OL period. Ton of ifs here X....IF INJURIES continue???If Wells has one more pro bowl season left in that right leg (knee & foot). If Jake can retain some of his first few yrs of NFL youth & pass block of yrs past? Can Saffold be an effective complete ORT & even a bigger ? is can he remain on the field? Can the 32 yr old Harvey become even more meaner & nasty & fill in @ ORT if need be? Can Chris Williams finally live down his half a decade of total failures to win a starting position has not played effectively since 2007 as a Sr in college! Four of the five OL posts are basically new to these Ram posts. Only Harvey is bonified solid with less questions IMO. Four of the Five had injuries issues & the other is CW who as of yet does not know where to play. So if we see a healthy OL of the five mentioned above & they play up to there potential running the ball will be a afterthought.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Thordaddy said:
We didn't trade up for Austin in order to grind it out nor did we sign Cook to block
Sam should have a probowl season

Yep. Fisher is smart, the Rams will be balanced, but we will win more games through the air than the ground. This is Sam's team and he will use his arm to win games.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's a passing league.

Schottenheimer likes the pass.

I agree; Fisher's rep for pound and ground has more to do with the toughness he wants on the field than anything else. He wants his team to be physical and have you feeling it the next day.