Are we giving Rams coaches sufficient credit for the rapid development of so many youngsters?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I wonder.

Not to take anything away from the fabulous job done by Les Snead and his scouts these past two years in acquiring talent. But it does occur to me that superior coaching has turbocharged the development of many already talented Ram youngsters.

Kyren Williams
Alaric Jackson
Steve Avila
Kevin Dotson (not a rookie or 2nd year player, but damn, he’s having a career year)
Puka Nacua
Byron Young
Kobie Turner
Ernest Jones
Ahkello Witherspoon (career year)
Quentin Lake
Jordan Fuller (another career year)

Other youngsters have had their own flashes and may well soon be strong contributors.

I’m just saying that it seems improbable that so many of these guys would simultaneously become rookie studs or young vets have their career years. I think that McVay is too modest to have too much attention go to himself and his assistants but I feel pretty strongly that all this rapid development didn’t occur in a vacuum.

I think McVay had a HR offseason with his asst coaching hires.

Thoughts?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It takes an organization, right?

It’s both, for sure.

If anything, I think this highlights McVay’s growth and his focus on coaching hires this offseason.

AND Snead made banger picks.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I think Les and his team did an outstanding job this off-season. The coaches especially McVay have really worked with group and gotten the most out of them.

Great job by LaFleur and the OL & RBs coaches. Defensively Pleasant has done a masterful job with the secondary considering I thought they would be the Rams Achilles heel. With Fuller, Lake, Witherspoon and Johnson exceeding way over what I expected a very pleasant surprise.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think the veteran players deserve credit as well.
I’m a huge proponent of player/coaching.

Guys like AD, Hav and Kupp are great guys to lead the way for the next group coming up.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Ultimately, might have to pin the credit all the way at the top with Kronke.
Shit flows downhill (at least on earth it does---I learned a lot about gravity recently, just watched Oppenheimer)

Us fanatics root for a well run organization --top to bottom.

But back to OPs question: Yes. Our coaches have been outstanding.
Success is a multi-faceted beast.
Rams are running a Master Class.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay made some hard calls with his staff last offseason and the benefits are clear. Last season there were some staffing decisions that I'll chalk up to hubris. Like putting a LB coach over the secondary, or a RB coach over the TEs. Might not have been so bad had he hired a good RB coach when he moved Brown over, but either way I think his offensive staff needed fresh blood and the defense needed better quality for the secondary and at this point in the season the moves look like slam dunks.

Staff matters. Rams right now are far better off than they were last year.

Going forward I think we're still yet to see if the TE coach can get Higs some relief out there. We're still dependent on him. Also the OL is starting to gel so what will the ceiling on them as a unit be. Lines can be weird and much better than the sum of their parts when the right mix of guys are all working on the same sheet of music. This game in Baltimore is a big piece of that puzzle due to the challenge of it, as is that final SF game. But I like how we're trending for sure.