Are the Saints set at QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With Drew Brees retirement, the Saints are set to go all-in with Tasom Hill and Jamesis Winston camp battle for the starting QB job.

Do either of those guys get you excited?

I mean... they go from “Hall of Fame Drew Brees” to.... one of those two?

We never really heard the Saints mentioned seriously in trade rumors on draft day for one of the top rookies. Even trade rumors for Wentz, or Rodgers... not much noise about the Saints.

Is Hill or Winston a long term option? Or... will the Saints find themselves in the QB market next year?

This whole situation seems “weird” to me. I wouldn’t be happy going into 2021 with Hill and Winston as my top two guys... but the Saints don’t seem to be blinking twice about it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still think Winston can play. I know it's a big *if*, but.... if Winston cut the turnovers down, he'd be a pretty good QB. Could be that short passing O they run there could be what he needs.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Winston can play great at QB. Then he will have games where he turns the ball over 5 times. Sounds like someone we used to know. . . .

dang

Legend
Saints and Asshole Face will be sweating this out for sure. Hill is not a starting QB and Winston is inconsistent at best.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I still think Winston can play. I know it's a big *if*, but.... if Winston cut the turnovers down, he'd be a pretty good QB. Could be that short passing O they run there could be what he needs.

I actually agree here, as long as Winston can showcase understanding from the neck up because that is where the issue lies IMHO. My wife thinks he's a punk and thus she believes the Saints are in serious trouble.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I've gotta believe that Payton knows what he has and is confident at this point he can create a system that will maximize their abilities.
We might not like Asshole Face but that doesn't mean he isn't an excellent offensive coach.
Besides Drew Brees was a shell of himself the last few years as his arm was all but shot in the games I watched.

~ArkyRamsFan~

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I expect them to be a playoff contender. But a notch down from when Brees was there. Probably an early exit playoff team. Oh wait, weren't they that with Brees too the last few years?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It will be interesting to watch. Payton is a good QB coach. If he can resurrect Winston then he deserves the credit as the best QB coach ever imo, surpassing Shanahan.

One thing that cannot be taught is processing speed. Some guys are to slow to process what they are seeing when it’s happening fast. I think that’s Winston, plus he’s not that good of a decision maker based on his seafood theft. I don’t think Payton can turn Winston into a top fifteen QB, but his ego is likely making him give it a shot.

If the Saints have a down year it will move them up the draft board. Maybe Payton has his eye on a college QB from the 2022 draft.

oldnotdead

Legend
Taysom Hill is only 30 years old and he's shown enough over the years to IMO give them a quality starter in the right system. The old Brees system is the best fit for Winston, but the erratic nature of his career is a concern. To take advantage of Hill's skill set the Aints would have to revamp their offense. They did it once before when they signed Brees and might be so inclined to do so again.

If they do change the offense like I feel they will, then Hill will be their starter. Hill is more mobile and probably has a better arm than Winston. The bottom line is that Hill is a far more dangerous QB, particularly on the move. Changing the offense has been IMO the biggest impediment for Hill in the past. But with Brees gone the way is clear for them to make those tweaks. I doubt that Hill would have stayed when he had a chance to leave without some sort of commitment by the Aints to get a fair shot at the starting QB position.

Hill has completed 88 of 121 attempts over the years for over 900 yds. (72.7%) with 4 TDs and 2 INTs. That's a sample large enough to make the commitment. Hill is the presumptive starter even though they are putting up this sham competition. You only have to look at their contracts to see who the starter is. Hill is signed on a one year prove-it deal with Winston on a backup level one year deal. I expect to see Hill as the long-term starter for the Aints.

Psycho_X

Legend
Taysom Hill is only 30 years old

Wow, I so did not know he was 30 already. Figured 25 or 26 since he's only been in league for 4 years. Payton certainly has a weird obsession with the guy. I expect Winston to be the starter but either way I don't expect their offense to be as deadly as it used to be/ Their defense has been the bigger threat the past couple of seasons. Will be interesting how they look as a whole after retirements and their salary cap purge they had to perform this offseason.

dang

Legend
Wow, I so did not know he was 30 already. Figured 25 or 26 since he's only been in league for 4 years. Payton certainly has a weird obsession with the guy. I expect Winston to be the starter but either way I don't expect their offense to be as deadly as it used to be/ Their defense has been the bigger threat the past couple of seasons. Will be interesting how they look as a whole after retirements and their salary cap purge they had to perform this offseason.
Tim Tebow in Myers ear “Don’t forget me coach. I can still throw a 10 yard dart”.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Taysom Hill is only 30 years old and he's shown enough over the years to IMO give them a quality starter in the right system. The old Brees system is the best fit for Winston, but the erratic nature of his career is a concern. To take advantage of Hill's skill set the Aints would have to revamp their offense. They did it once before when they signed Brees and might be so inclined to do so again.

If they do change the offense like I feel they will, then Hill will be their starter. Hill is more mobile and probably has a better arm than Winston. The bottom line is that Hill is a far more dangerous QB, particularly on the move. Changing the offense has been IMO the biggest impediment for Hill in the past. But with Brees gone the way is clear for them to make those tweaks. I doubt that Hill would have stayed when he had a chance to leave without some sort of commitment by the Aints to get a fair shot at the starting QB position.

Hill has completed 88 of 121 attempts over the years for over 900 yds. (72.7%) with 4 TDs and 2 INTs. That's a sample large enough to make the commitment. Hill is the presumptive starter even though they are putting up this sham competition. You only have to look at their contracts to see who the starter is. Hill is signed on a one year prove-it deal with Winston on a backup level one year deal. I expect to see Hill as the long-term starter for the Aints.
Hill has a better arm than Winston?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect them to be a playoff contender. But a notch down from when Brees was there. Probably an early exit playoff team. Oh wait, weren't they that with Brees too the last few years?
Ao5skPg.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hill is definitely not going to get them anywhere at QB. Winston is their hope. And the guy has as much talent at QB as anyone.

There is room for the Saints to get better with Winston because they've been playing with a shrunk field with Brees back there for a couple years now. But seems to me that long term Winston will let them down. He might play lights out this year and get a big contract but he'll revert to who he is.

What I do like about Winston is his aggressiveness. He's not a guy who is cowed by a top defense. Good compete he's just a dickhead.