Are Rams setting up Bradford for stability? Or mediocrity?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Written by Will | 08 February 2012

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... ty/9819730

Sam Bradford will get one-on-one coaching for the first time since Dick Curl was let go. Photo by Chris Lee, Post-Dispatch.

The Rams followed through on Jeff Fisher's commitment to hire a quarterbacks coach this week, reportedly recruiting former Rutgers offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti Jr. The move is welcome just from the standpoint of having this position filled, and a Ram-nation-wide panic finally quelled. But his resume, like Brian Schottenheimer's, winds a long path through mediocrity.

The Rams may be getting more stable offensively under Jeff Fisher, but are they getting better?

Mike Sando tells us that Schottenheimer's offense is based on Don Coryell's numbers-based scheme (like half of the offenses in the NFL), but his specific mentors were Jerry Rhome (Martz's predecessor here in St Louis) and Jimmy Raye in Washington. Both offenses trended toward bland, befuddled messes. But nevertheless, having a quarterbacks coach familiar with that terminology would seem to be a prerequisite. For Cignetti, that experience was learned from the scraps of Norv Turner's playbook being held by Jim Hostler (a former college teammate) in San Francisco.

Yes, that Jim Hostler, and that San Francisco. This was 2007, or year four in the seven-year revolving-door method of bringing along Alex Smith. Cignetti was his quarterbacks coach for one year, before departing to Pittsburgh. And to say that Alex Smith and the offense struggled under Hostler would be putting it mildly. Notably, Hostler's offense did not contain the concept of the "hot read" - you know, the basic concept of finding a receiver to throw to when you identify a blitz.

Smith was sacked 17 times in 210 dropbacks that year. If Smith had thrown in that offense as often as Bradford did in his rookie season, he would have been sacked 50 times. Hopefully, as quarterbacks coach during that carnage, Cignetti picked up a few lessons on what not to do.

Bradford is now entering his fourth offensive system in as many years, dating back to his days in Oklahoma, and appears to be on a dangerously similar path. The hope is that this hire, and the stability brought to the team overall by Fisher's presence, will save Bradford from further experience in the "confuse-a-cat" method of coaching.

But Fisher's offensive tendencies in the past have never typically required quarterback heroics, preferring creativity and power in the running game. And here, ironically for Bradford's development, is where Cignetti and Schottenheimer have both excelled.

We will have to wait and see how this offense shapes up, and what new pieces are added to it in the draft and free agency. But if Cignetti's past experience is any guide, we're not sure Bradford needs any more help in knowing how to hand off, or how to pick himself up off the turf.

Anonymous

Re: Are Rams setting up Bradford for stability? Or mediocrit

I'd rather have Martz as QB coach......yet if JF hired him I'll give it a go.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

How 'bout we forgo the QB as a hero theatrics and let his play in a team oriented game take its place. Sam will do fine. I don't even think Sam thinks he needs to be the next Peyton or Warner as long as his team is kicking some ass. Trent fucking Dilfer is still riding a shitty career and one SB win for gawds sake.

Sam will be just fine and I dare say pretty damn good. Let the HOF shit shake out - which - I predict it will (you read it here bitches).

Even after people start talking HOF, Sam will still be talking WINS. The rest will speak for itself. Sam = mediocrity? Hardly.

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
How 'bout we forgo the QB as a hero theatrics and let his play in a team oriented game take its place. Sam will do fine. I don't even think Sam thinks he needs to be the next Peyton or Warner as long as his team is kicking some ass. Trent freaking Dilfer is still riding a cruddy career and one SB win for gawds sake.

Sam will be just fine and I dare say pretty damn good. Let the HOF shyte shake out - which - I predict it will (you read it here bitches).

Even after people start talking HOF, Sam will still be talking WINS. The rest will speak for itself. Sam = mediocrity? Hardly.

I'll go further and say NO ONE PLAYER is guaranteed anything on this team and that goes for SB too. Produce or JF pulls the plug. GUARANTEED. That said I believe JF is FAIR to his players in that they know what is expected and how it will be addressed if the unexpected is too common. JF holds the cards......and that's great news for Rams fans. At this point I'm beyond pulling for individual players. I want this TEAM to win and I don't care who wears the uniform while doing so. It's been too long. I want to see Ws.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler

squeaky wheel said:
I'll go further and say NO ONE PLAYER is guaranteed anything on this team and that goes for SB too. Produce or JF pulls the plug. GUARANTEED. That said I believe JF is FAIR to his players in that they know what is expected and how it will be addressed if the unexpected is too common. JF holds the cards......and that's great news for Rams fans. At this point I'm beyond pulling for individual players. I want this TEAM to win and I don't care who wears the uniform while doing so. It's been too long. I want to see Ws.

Fair point -- no team can afford to be held hostage by a player's contract that basically mandates his being on the field; especially if he's not getting the job done. Sam should be held to the same expectations as the other 52 guys on the roster.

I do have a problem with the original column that was posted -- I hesitate to call it an article, as it was very subjective in nature. The writer "Will" chose to focus on one year of Cignetti's career: 2007 with the 49ers. What Will chose to ignore was: Cignetti's coaching career has spanned 20+ years in both the college and pro ranks, with no lapses in employment.

Here's a more-detailed history of his career, that shouldn't necessarily be defined by one year.

Anonymous

HeiseNBerg said:
squeaky wheel said:

Fair point -- no team can afford to be held hostage by a player's contract that basically mandates his being on the field; especially if he's not getting the job done. Sam should be held to the same expectations as the other 52 guys on the roster.

I do have a problem with the original column that was posted -- I hesitate to call it an article, as it was very subjective in nature. The writer "Will" chose to focus on one year of Cignetti's career: 2007 with the 49ers. What Will chose to ignore was: Cignetti's coaching career has spanned 20+ years in both the college and pro ranks, with no lapses in employment.

Here's a more-detailed history of his career, that shouldn't necessarily be defined by one year.

Excellent point about work history. Depending upon the job in question the worst possible interviewer is the narrow minded sort who can't relate to anything other than their experience. Always costs them the best 'talent' that can set them apart, put them over the top etc. An institutional bias we see demonstrated all the time. Meanwhile most innovation occurs outside and is very costly to bring inside. Prior rejection has it's cost. :hehe:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I only posted the article as a talking point. Definitely wouldn't say I agree with it. I am getting more and more excited for this team with JF at the helm. I expect to see a more focused attack in both phases of the game. I think Sam will definitely benefit from not having to be "the man". Let him grow into that role. Nothing against Spags, I just feel like Fisher has already brought a strong, yet silent and determined mindset to this team. Why do I feel that way?? No idea...maybe from his interviews or from how the players seem to have bought into the vision. Then again, I am ALWAYS optimistic between February and September.....but it just feels different this time.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler

Faceplant said:
I only posted the article as a talking point. Definitely wouldn't say I agree with it.

Understood -- my criticism of the article was not directed at you, in any way.

And I share your optimism for the future of this team under Fisher. Although currently there is no tangible evidence to support it, I believe the Sam Bradford we'll see in 2012 will be a closer resemblance to the 2010 version than the one we saw last year.