Apparently Adrian Peterson hasn't learned a thing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I went back and forth on whether to post this in the Dumbass of the Day thread but here it is instead. Here's a man who went through all sorts of problems both legally and with his NFL career for spanking his son with a switch, yet he now openly admits he still punishes his children with a belt. Why he couldn't keep that to himself is a mystery. "Rodger Goodell on line 1."

To read the whole article, which btw is quite interesting, click the link below.
***********************************************************************************
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2807182-adrian-peterson-is-still-the-same-ap?share=other

Four years removed from the trial, he still uses physical forms of punishment to discipline his children—"I had to discipline my son and spank him the other day with a belt," Peterson says—though he employs other techniques as well. He will take away their electronics, place them in different timeouts around the house, have them do wall squats. "There's different ways I discipline my kids," he says. "I didn't let that change me."

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I spank my kids at times. Sometimes they deserve it haha. I know I did when I was their age.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I spank my kids at times. Sometimes they deserve it haha. I know I did when I was their age.

I was brought up in an era when myself and every other kid I knew was punished in a way that today would be considered child abuse. When I raised my son I decided to do the opposite and never punish him in that way. To each their own. What puzzles me is that Adrian Peterson doesn't have enough common sense to keep how he raises his children to himself.

The Redskins just lost their QB for the season and now they may also lose their RB because he ran his mouth, that is if Goodell decides to step in. Sad.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
If he beat his wife or girlfriend with a belt what would the reaction be? Why should it be any different for a child? Abuse is abuse.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was abuse last time because of how hard he hit the kid. Corporal punishment isn't illegal in and of itself, and I'm in favor of it when necessary.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Have you seen those parents who have decided that spanking is totally wrong (equal to child abuse) only to find themselves at some public place where others have gathered to enjoy themselves with their child going absolutely ballistic, so what do they do? They kneel to the child’s POV so they can look it in the eye and with some bullshit soft mannered voice try and negotiate with it, “Timmy, can you see why throwing that action figure at Betty was wrong?” But it does zero good and eventually an embarrassed daddy has to drag the kid outside with promises of ice cream if they just shut up

I think a lot of people who take such offense to spanking think the alternative is to reason -
to offer a calm explanation that appeals to the child’s good nature and rational thought. As if this will get the child to behave in a positive way. But sorry it never works. Negotiating with child is far worse than the threat of a good ass woopin’

You figure the job of a parent to teach your child how to survive on their own and to walk a path of success and righteousness, etc... So I think when you spare the rod, so to speak, you give your child this false notion that the world bows to their will (the child) and that it will never sting or be ever be uncomfortable. A good spanking can alert the child that there is a point in which life can get painful — and that they need to police themselves to avoid stepping over the line. This is how they lewrn to be responsible for themselves. for example I told my son from an early age if he disrespected his mother or sister we’d have trouble. So the first time he did it, he got a spanking to remember and i raised my voice etc. the next time he attempted to backtalk me, all i needed to do was give him a look - the look - as if I was about to give him another serious spanking and it stopped him cold. He knew instantly, “proceed with extreme caution.” He was 5 or 6 at the time. Since that day he’s been about as loyal and loving to his mom and sister as I could ever hope for. It’s nice to know he’ll appreciate his wife the same way - with devotion and respect. I just don’t see how I could have been as affective had I chosen the method of negotiation. I just imagine how fucked I’d be today if I had treated my son as if he were some sage being instead of the tretcherous sponge needing immediate guidenace and warnings that he was

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think it depends on the child.

We have four kids and each was different. My eldest had an iron ass and he didn't respond a ton to spanking. Just the mention of a spanking would make my youngest cry and they'd get right in a hurry.

Once we knew our oldest wasn't disobedient, but high-functioning autistic, the spankings tapered off rapidly and we resorted to other measures and that extended to the rest of the kids as well.

Are there some kids who really need their butts busted? Sure. It's immediate and hard to ignore the sting. And sometimes, especially if it's rarely used, it can be extremely effective in halting damaging behavior.

That said, a spanking (and I say this about myself and my wife as well) is generally an indicator that something didn't work prior to the bad act and should be an indicator that more parenting is needed, not just spank and move on.

What concerns me is the belt. You can't tell how hard a blow is using an object. I spanked my eldest son ONCE with a belt. I was spanked with a belt as a child and it wasn't awesome. However, once I realized that I couldn't tell if I was being corporal or abusive, I was horrified and never even considered it again.

Flint

Pro Bowler
None of us want to be told how to raise our kids, I think that’s the bottom line. What he’s doing isn’t illegal, it may seem unenlightened but it’s his choice.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh boy where's the popcorn meme...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My main point in posting this story was not to trigger a "spanking vs. non-spanking" discussion(which is each parent's choice and therefore a waste of time to argue about) but to bring attention to a player possibly headed to the Hall of Fame who is sabotaging his career because he doesn't have enough sense to keep his mouth closed. I would be surprised if he isn't contacted by the police or suspended for this, which would be a shame.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
This is correct; it isn't used to physically hurt them, it is used to 'correct' or discipline them. My would use 2 fingers and snap, and she would cry....this has worked, and she is a beautiful lady to be....Sorry, cats, the bible is right on this one (don't spare the rod). Petereson was physically abusive, that is the difference....and now he is dumb enough to say something, too.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
To be clear my comment was about using a belt, not about spanking in general. I refuse to accept there's a scenario where it's appropriate to use a belt on a child.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
There are so many ways to punish kids; send them to their room, ground them for a week, take the car keys away, or god forbid, take their phone or Xbox away!

When you have to resort to the violence of a belt, and don't kid yourself, that's what it is, understand that your child doesn't look at it the way you do. A 10 year old doesn't see it as just punishment or a deterrent. Their big take away is that the person closest to them, the person they trust the most, is violently beating them. And for what? They're just starting to learn about life and they're going to make mistakes. Is scaring the shit out of them and degrading both of you through violence really what you want to teach them. Will it make them be a better person? Do you want them to respect you or fear you. Do you want them to respect other people or to lash out in the same way when personal relationships aren't goint their way?

If you can't reason with them or find a non-violent alternative, then that's probably on you. Maybe you let them eat sugar at night and can't handle their response or maybe you don't spend enough time with them. Maybe they see how you treat other people, I don't know, but the people I've known who beat their kids, including my own father, are also the worst parents.

When I was 9 we used to get beat with hot wheel track. Then one Christmas I tore the wrapping paper off a new hot wheel track set and after a brief knee jerk reaction of joy, I realized that this new "fat track" was going to come back to bite me in the ass. And it did.

I remember most of the beatings but except for a couple instances, I don't remember the reasons why.

I'm not a religious man but I do like to ask the question, what would Jesus do?

Debacled

Starter
If he beat his wife or girlfriend with a belt what would the reaction be? Why should it be any different for a child? Abuse is abuse.

That would be 50 Shades. Which since I keep getting drug to them I assume are still somewhat of a hit:hiding:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
There are so many ways to punish kids; send them to their room, ground them for a week, take the car keys away, or god forbid, take their phone or Xbox away!

When you have to resort to the violence of a belt, and don't kid yourself, that's what it is, understand that your child doesn't look at it the way you do. A 10 year old doesn't see it as just punishment or a deterrent. Their big take away is that the person closest to them, the person they trust the most, is violently beating them. And for what? They're just starting to learn about life and they're going to make mistakes. Is scaring the crap out of them and degrading both of you through violence really what you want to teach them. Will it make them be a better person? Do you want them to respect you or fear you. Do you want them to respect other people or to lash out in the same way when personal relationships aren't goint their way?

If you can't reason with them or find a non-violent alternative, then that's probably on you. Maybe you let them eat sugar at night and can't handle their response or maybe you don't spend enough time with them. Maybe they see how you treat other people, I don't know, but the people I've known who beat their kids, including my own father, are also the worst parents.

When I was 9 we used to get beat with hot wheel track. Then one Christmas I tore the wrapping paper off a new hot wheel track set and after a brief knee jerk reaction of joy, I realized that this new "fat track" was going to come back to bite me in the ass. And it did.

I remember most of the beatings but except for a couple instances, I don't remember the reasons why.

I'm not a religious man but I do like to ask the question, what would Jesus do?

Well, if you were a sinner, he'd offer you grace and redemption. If you were sick he'd heal you. If you were hungry, he'd feed you. But... if you were a money changer in front of the Temple... he'd whoop...your...behind...with a length of ROPE. Homey didn't play that...

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Well, if you were a sinner, he'd offer you grace and redemption. If you were sick he'd heal you. If you were hungry, he'd feed you. But... if you were a money changer in front of the Temple... he'd whoop...your...behind...with a length of ROPE. Homey didn't play that...

I'm pretty sure those merchants who set up shop in the temple during Passover were all adults.

I can't see Jesus pulling out the ol cord and beating his 12 year old because he accidentally broke a lamp playing ball in the house.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'm pretty sure those merchants who set up shop in the temple during Passover were all adults.

I can't see Jesus pulling out the ol cord and beating his 12 year old because he accidentally broke a lamp playing ball in the house.

I'm not trying to speak for Mack, but I think the point was that circumstances dictate response and also that Jesus was not 100% opposed to violence. It all depended on the circumstances. I don't really want to turn this into a religious thread (darn it, now I'm doing it and I can't help myself; sorry mods) so I'll just stop there.

Psycho_X

Legend
There’s a big difference between spanking and whipping someone with a switch or belt. That’s called flailing.

Either way, you’re right he should know better. I get he doesn’t think it’s wrong so he doesn’t care but you’d think he cared about getting a paycheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.