Anyone own a "Tiny House"?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
My girlfriend and I are thinking of ways to spend the summer in NY and staying in Texas during the school year. We were looking at Tiny Houses to build on our own in both states to save money on living expenses. Does anyone have experience with these types of houses?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My wife was watching a TV show on that subject just the other night. At first,,, I thought it was some kind of joke because the house they were building was smaller than a tool shed,,, but I guess there really is a market for this kind of thing. I sometimes feel cramped in our 3 bedroom/3 bath townhouse... those tiny houses they build on that TV program are tinier than tiny... but there would be a Big savings on expenses I suppose. Hell, they were building one on wheels on that show too.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My wife was watching a TV show on that subject just the other night. At first,,, I thought it was some kind of joke because the house they were building was smaller than a tool shed,,, but I guess there really is a market for this kind of thing. I sometimes feel cramped in our 3 bedroom/3 bath townhouse... those tiny houses they build on that TV program are tinier than tiny... but there would be a Big savings on expenses I suppose. Hell, they were building one on wheels on that show too.
Trust me, when she first showed me I thought it was insane. But they are so customizable that it makes sense when you realize you could add on. 800sq ft for only $15,000 and another $5k to actually build everything inside. Not a bad investment. Especially if we end up living in two places during the year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How organized are you? My understanding is that while every nook and cranny is used for storage, you have to always be putting things away that you are not using at that minute. Would drive some people bonkers, especially if you flit around on what you're doing.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You could do the same thing with a camper right? You have to put it somewhere regardless so wouldn't something with wheels be a little more versatile?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
RV's and campers are pretty expensive though.
$20k is what was mentioned for a "tiny house" times two. Depending on logistics, one camper could possibly be utilized at both locations? I have to believe you can find a good used camper for less than $40k. I guess it depends on where exactly the resting place will be at both locations and the time available for relocating a camper from NY to Texas.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My girlfriend and I are thinking of ways to spend the summer in NY and staying in Texas during the school year. We were looking at Tiny Houses to build on our own in both states to save money on living expenses. Does anyone have experience with these types of houses?
Say goodbye to any semblance of privacy though. You'll be in each other's sight 24/7. Though, you did say 'girlfriend', so I'm guessing that's not an issue at this stage. I love my wife, and we've been married 15 years, but I couldn't survive without my man cave. And she couldn't live in a space that small if it means the bathroom isn't separated by an entire room and two walls. To this day, I don't think her human body is capable of passing gas. I have literally never heard it. And she'd damn sure like to keep it that way. Lol.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Say goodbye to any semblance of privacy though. You'll be in each other's sight 24/7. Though, you did say 'girlfriend', so I'm guessing that's not an issue at this stage. I love my wife, and we've been married 15 years, but I couldn't survive without my man cave. And she couldn't live in a space that small if it means the bathroom isn't separated by an entire room and two walls. To this day, I don't think her human body is capable of passing gas. I have literally never heard it. And she'd damn sure like to keep it that way. Lol.
LOL! My wife claims to have never farted, uh, excuse me, passed vapors. And I'm just like you in regards to NEVER hearing her float an air biscuit. And the door is locked to the bathroom anytime she uses the throne, always.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Lol probably an age thing, my parents don't pass gas either..

My fiancée though, she outdoes me sometimes