Anyone know anything about the training staff and doctors?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Long's injury was advertised as an 8-10 week recovery, and this was after Week 1. He's not up at that 10 week mark yet, so I don't understand why people are freaking out yet. Obviously he's going to have atrophy, he hasn't used those muscles in weeks. He's still got to get into football shape and he's not yet at the original time table. It will take time and he's progressing nicely, he'll be ready when he's ready.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Hindsight being 20/20, I personally believe considering how (the play) Bradford re-tore his ACL that there can't be any reasonable doubt he tried to come back before his knee was 100% ready.

If I'm Stan K. I'm a little disappointed in somebody on the training/medical staff not knowing this, maybe they were influenced how it worked for Adrian Peterson and to an extent RGIII but it was an utter disaster for the Rams.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
One of the Rams team doctors performed my knee surgery 2 years ago, Dr. Brophy. Everything went exactly as he said it would, down to the recovery time.

However, Dr. Brophy and/or Dr. Matava did not perform the surgery on Bradford/Long as they chose their own doctor, James Andrews.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Finely tuned athlete or not, when he had surgery on what apparently was a pretty serious foot/ankle injury, he is unable to do anything in the time he is recovering. In the meantime, that finely tuned athlete, who trains every day when healthy, will atrophy more than the "normal" weekend warrior.

He has been out of the walking boot for a little less than two weeks. If you think that is enough time, first to get ALL the strength back into his injured leg, AND then once he does in fact get the strength back, be enough time to get back into football game shape, then you and I will agree to disagree.

As far as Bradford and Long, they had MONTHS to rehab an injury that required surgery, and were never in a cast and immobilized for more than 6 weeks. Totally different injuries, so its not even a comparable conversation. For me, that Chris Long has been so durable, and has played thru many minor injuries in the past, just exaggerates the point of seriousness for me as to why he isn't back yet. IMO, you are just looking for something that isn't there.
The injuries they have suffered over the last few years is more than just coincidence.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The injuries they have suffered over the last few years is more than just coincidence.
Let me ask you this.... do you honestly think they are the only team to have suffered these sort of injuries? Ask L. Bowman in SF that question. or losing M. Crabtree for the time they did. How many WRs have they gone thru? have a few RBs still on the shelf.....Maybe ask New England when they lose Gronkowski for the length of time. Talk about a finely tuned athlete. But he sure missed an awful lot of time. And how is it that Brady managed to come back after missing less than a full year with his ACL injury, before the medical advancements that have taken place since have made it even more possible.

Or ask the 2013 Falcons if they think the Rams are the only team to go thru this. It's a violent game. It happens to every team. The issue with the Rams, first of all, we pay a whole lot more attention and obviously are closer to them when they happen here. But more importantly, this team is impacted more because of lack of experienced and quality depth that when they lose a key player, they just can't over come it like some of the others.

I still am not sure what you are trying to insinuate. Are you trying to say there is some sort of sorted conspiracy at Rams Park?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Let me ask you this.... do you honestly think they are the only team to have suffered these sort of injuries? Ask L. Bowman in SF that question. or losing M. Crabtree for the time they did. How many WRs have they gone thru? have a few RBs still on the shelf.....Maybe ask New England when they lose Gronkowski for the length of time. Talk about a finely tuned athlete. But he sure missed an awful lot of time. And how is it that Brady managed to come back after missing less than a full year with his ACL injury, before the medical advancements that have taken place since have made it even more possible.

Or ask the 2013 Falcons if they think the Rams are the only team to go thru this. It's a violent game. It happens to every team. The issue with the Rams, first of all, we pay a whole lot more attention and obviously are closer to them when they happen here. But more importantly, this team is impacted more because of lack of experienced and quality depth that when they lose a key player, they just can't over come it like some of the others.

I still am not sure what you are trying to insinuate. Are you trying to say there is some sort of sorted conspiracy at Rams Park?
Just asking a question. Why does everything have to be a conspiracy?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'm not the one who seems to think there is more to Long being not ready to come back yet.
I read the post as implying ineptitude of our training staff. I don't think the argument has much foundation but that is how I interpreted the OP.

Debacled

Starter
If you guys have any questions at all about re-injuries to ACLs or longer than expected recovery times look at the guys who are blowing out their HEALTHY knees celebrating.

Any given play with that much force being thrown around. Regardless of previous injuries.

TexRamFan

Rookie
C. Long's leg has atrophy?
J Long and Bradford retear ACLs
Players are dropping like flies every week

Is there a connection to the strength and condition trainers and doctors on staff with the Rams? I don't know anything about them but it sure seems like this has been a problem at Rams park for a while.

Yes there is.

Most professional sports franchises have a Head Strength & Conditioning Coach along with a few assistants and interns. They also have a Head Trainer (along with with assistants) and they have a team doc.

S&C coaches work closely with trainers and trainers discuss with doctors injuries etc. However, players can always seek other opinions or doctors at anytime.

I spent a few years on a professional franchise as a strength and conditioning coach/intern and then spent 10+years in the private industry working with collegiate and professional athletes.

Here is the thing many fans fail to recognize...... A majority of professional athletes spend the entire off-season with private S&C coaches at private facilities across the nation. Anyone can open a facility and "train" a professional athlete. I have seen and heard first hand some horror stories of athletes in the off-season. Some guys train with friends and some even family. The head S&C coaches do not have a say who they work with. Some athletes choose to take a program from the Head S&C coach and follow it on their own, but many head in their own direction and some probably do little to no work in the off-season.

Athletes make their gains in the off-season then they report to camp. At camp the S&C coaches do not have a ton of time to produce significant gains. They help to maintain strength, improve stability, mobility, flexibility, and maintenance etc. (or whatever their individual believes/philosophies are). So whatever that athlete did in the off-season is what they come to camp with. Whether it is a big weight loss like Brockers (I am not for sure if Brockers trained with the Rams staff in the off-season or not) or strength gains like S-Jax use to have (he worked at a private facility in the Stl suburbs), the head S&C does not have much to say about it in the off-season. I worked for an NBA franchise and in the off-season we had 4-5 guys train with the our staff. The other 15 or so guys went off on their own. Then they would return for the season.

Then if a rash of injuries crop up during the season, the S&C or training staff usually gets the blame.

Sometimes injuries are fluke injuries (Long got rolled up, concussions are not avoidable and you see many ankle contact injuries, etc), and sometimes athletes have more lax joints that lead to being injury prone. Explosive athletes are also prone to injury. It really is a mixed bag. And some seasons you just run into injuries.

As a staff, we would always sit down at the end of the year and look at the injuries that occurred during the year and discussed if there was something we were missing or something we could do to prevent further injuries in the future. I know for a fact the Rams also work closely with Gatorade on nutritional components as well. Gatorade has a consultant that visits them with the latest studies and information and works directly with the trainers.

These injuries have nothing to do with the staff IMO. From the little I know about them, they are great at what they do.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yes there is.

Most professional sports franchises have a Head Strength & Conditioning Coach along with a few assistants and interns. They also have a Head Trainer (along with with assistants) and they have a team doc.

S&C coaches work closely with trainers and trainers discuss with doctors injuries etc. However, players can always seek other opinions or doctors at anytime.

I spent a few years on a professional franchise as a strength and conditioning coach/intern and then spent 10+years in the private industry working with collegiate and professional athletes.

Here is the thing many fans fail to recognize...... A majority of professional athletes spend the entire off-season with private S&C coaches at private facilities across the nation. Anyone can open a facility and "train" a professional athlete. I have seen and heard first hand some horror stories of athletes in the off-season. Some guys train with friends and some even family. The head S&C coaches do not have a say who they work with. Some athletes choose to take a program from the Head S&C coach and follow it on their own, but many head in their own direction and some probably do little to no work in the off-season.

Athletes make their gains in the off-season then they report to camp. At camp the S&C coaches do not have a ton of time to produce significant gains. They help to maintain strength, improve stability, mobility, flexibility, and maintenance etc. (or whatever their individual believes/philosophies are). So whatever that athlete did in the off-season is what they come to camp with. Whether it is a big weight loss like Brockers (I am not for sure if Brockers trained with the Rams staff in the off-season or not) or strength gains like S-Jax use to have (he worked at a private facility in the Stl suburbs), the head S&C does not have much to say about it in the off-season. I worked for an NBA franchise and in the off-season we had 4-5 guys train with the our staff. The other 15 or so guys went off on their own. Then they would return for the season.

Then if a rash of injuries crop up during the season, the S&C or training staff usually gets the blame.

Sometimes injuries are fluke injuries (Long got rolled up, concussions are not avoidable and you see many ankle contact injuries, etc), and sometimes athletes have more lax joints that lead to being injury prone. Explosive athletes are also prone to injury. It really is a mixed bag. And some seasons you just run into injuries.

As a staff, we would always sit down at the end of the year and look at the injuries that occurred during the year and discussed if there was something we were missing or something we could do to prevent further injuries in the future. I know for a fact the Rams also work closely with Gatorade on nutritional components as well. Gatorade has a consultant that visits them with the latest studies and information and works directly with the trainers.

These injuries have nothing to do with the staff IMO. From the little I know about them, they are great at what they do.

Thanks Tex

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm not the one who seems to think there is more to Long being not ready to come back yet.
CoachO I appreciate your input and would defer on many of the subjects here as you seem to have more first hand knowledge than I ever will in fact if you take a look at the original post:

Is there a connection to the strength and condition trainers and doctors on staff with the Rams? I don't know anything about them but it sure seems like this has been a problem at Rams park for a while.

I could not have much more clear about not having any knowledge about them.

Maybe you're just having a bad day? Peace