Anyone impressed with Walton yet?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't see it yet. And I hope Fisher gets more involved with his defense, especially the back 7. The back 7 looked a lot better last year. We really took a hit when G Williams ended up with that mess in NO.

For the Rams to be a major factor this year, Fisher needs to get his D playing much better. Fisher is more of a D guy than an O guy anyway. I don't expect Fisher, to work miracles with Bradford like a guy like Harbaugh would, but I do expect Fisher to work some magic with the D and STs. I like what Fisher has done with his STs, but I expect major improvement with his D fairly soon. Fisher said they played too much zone last week. Was that on Walton? Worries me a bit.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
To early to tell and i guarantee you if fisher saw something in the d he didn't like he will be discussing it with walton.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
max said:
I don't see it yet. And I hope Fisher gets more involved with his defense, especially the back 7. The back 7 looked a lot better last year. We really took a hit when G Williams ended up with that mess in NO.

For the Rams to be a major factor this year, Fisher needs to get his D playing much better. Fisher is more of a D guy than an O guy anyway. I don't expect Fisher, to work miracles with Bradford like a guy like Harbaugh would, but I do expect Fisher to work some magic with the D and STs. I like what Fisher has done with his STs, but I expect major improvement with his D fairly soon. Fisher said they played too much zone last week. Was that on Walton? Worries me a bit.
Fisher giving Walton the DC job is impressive in it self, Fish is a defensive genius so if Walton struggles in the least he always has Fisher to turn to. I think we were playing more zone, trying to manage the game and walk out of there with a W.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm not unimpressed, especially not after one game. I'll assess how I think coaches are doing after a few games in, or the bye week. It's hard to judge after small sample sizes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think Walton is just calling the plays, and for that I'm ambivalent. There are 5 (former and present) defensive coordinators on this staff, so I like the individual training and focus on scheme so far. What I don't like is a seeming unwillingness to gamble on defense, but at the same time -- I understand it.

RamEERS

Pastor
i dunno know why, but the thing with fisher while he was in tennessee and in st louis was always soft zones... which was very evident last week during the first half....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I heard Fisher say after the game that he felt the D played a little too much zone. I think he said as much on the Jeff Fisher show.

I saw that when AZ went to the four and five wide sets they had some success and i felt we were slow in responding to it.
IIRC we initially just defended it with alot of zone and our DB's were getting caught watching and out of position.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
From the season opener not quite yet ready to judge. However I would say I was satisfied. Our WTF turnovers occurred on offense; a great strip and getting the arms up deflecting the SB pass. While others mentioned Finnegan's mistakes I'd say its a learning experience that Fish and Walton already covered.

It was his first game as a d-coordinator for us. Let's touch base on this near our bye week 11.

Right now he's likely still working cohesively w/ Fisher, McGinnis and Cecil. Collaborated efforts is what I presume is happening. Personally aside from a few oopsies by Finnegan we played damn good on D. I'll say I'm impressed with the overall result from that game and expect it to continue as such.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Nothing wrong w/ bringing pressure and creating 2 stripped fumbles and what 5 total sacks and an INT by Tru! :grin:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Walton won't diverge from Fishers M.O.
Gregg Williams would have been given the keys to drive the D but not a new like Walton.

Bend but dont break is what we will see from the secondary. Get used to it. Fishers defense goes through his D Line. He has an old school approach tokeeping the game close and win it in fourth quarter.

fearsomefour

Legend
Too early to tell.
The D in effect gave up 17 points to an improved team. If the D can make some plays and hold teams to around 20 the Rams should win most of those games.
I do not like D lineman dropping into coverage....saw this in preseason. Why take away from the strongest unit on your team?
Dont remember seeing it in week one.

iced

i was pretty pissed we weren't blitzing more and playing more man, like what is supposed to be our strong suit.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
:plus1:
But like many others are saying, it's way too early to make any fair conclusion. If Williams was our DC we'd have had 30 blitzes in the game. :bg:

iced

albefree69 said:
But like many others are saying, it's way too early to make any fair conclusion. If Williams was our DC we'd have had 30 blitzes in the game. :bg:

seemed to work on matt ryan last week!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I feel they thought we could generate consistent pressure on the Cards without having to blitz, from the D-line alone. I had no problem with the defensive gameplan since they kept us in the game after being down by 11, whatever gets that W baby! :mrgreen:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Impressed? No.
Unimpressed? No.

Arians is a new HC. Hard to know what to expect from Arizona because there's no film on their O.

I am going to give him a few games before I make any judgements. Wasn't happy with the soft coverage though.

F. Mulder

Starter
I know Fisher has been high on him even before he hired him but to me Walton is just a conduit between what Fisher and McGinnis want to do and what Walton actually does. I'm not saying Walton isn't part of the gameplan or on-field calls and adjustments, I'm saying I don't think he is the "true" DC overall. If coverages are too soft and they aren't changed vs. Atlanta it is because Fisher and DM want them that way not because Walton doesn't know what he is doing. Fisher and McGinnis have the power to change the overall Defensive approach as well as if they want certain Defensive packages or philosophies under certain game situations IMO.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
albefree69 said:

the last impression i have of williams is alex smith and the whiners driving 80 yards twice for 2 tds in literally 30 seconds per drive at the end of the divisional playoffs in the 2011 season. the saints offense twice put the saints in front with less than 2 minutes on the clock and williams' d gave up 2 tds in no time. i'm thankful he's not with the rams.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
bluecoconuts said:
I'm not unimpressed, especially not after one game. I'll assess how I think coaches are doing after a few games in, or the bye week. It's hard to judge after small sample sizes.
This

Plus, I think everyone needs a few games to get into it. I know that Fisher wanted a younger guy that he could groom. Walton does not have a lot of experience as a DC so I think he will "grow" into the job. I know that's not something that anyone wants to hear, but it's probably true.

Like others have said Fisher is a defensive genius and he's good at knowing good, young coaching, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
It's Fishers defense. I honestly only consider Walton a defensive assistant with a specialty in coaching up the young secondary.