Anyone else see Roberto Aguayo going 2nd round?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's earlier than I'd take him and than I think the Rams should take him. If he goes that early there are other options.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's earlier than I'd take him and than I think the Rams should take him. If he goes that early there are other options.

Yeah, I'm not saying the Rams grab him there... But he could go there.

Just an interesting topic for a kicker.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I'm not saying the Rams grab him there... But he could go there.

Just an interesting topic for a kicker.
I could see a playoff caliber team that is desperate for a kicker taking him late 2nd if there aren't any other major holes.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Especially if you don't have a franchise QB or an especially high scoring offense, the ability of a kicker to accurately score from distance will have a disproportionate affect on scoring. That's worth a 2nd rounder.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No I don't see him going in the 2nd round, IMHO, the 4th. Easy does it on kickers everyone is overstating the extra five yards on a touch back, works in college just fine and I don't have an issue with a team starting at the 25.

My concern is that Special Teams Coaches are going to try to get cute and what's going to happen is kickers are going to be directional kicking on kick offs and kicking many out of bounds and teams start at the 40, which is a major issue.

If Aguayo goes in the 2nd round that would be major because Al Davis is not around anymore. IMO, the Rams could draft a kicker, but I see them taking somebody like Ka'imi Fairbairn in the 6th.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Probably 3rd or 4th, because of the rule change.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta laugh at a team taking Aguayo in the 2nd. They're nuts. The 3rd and the 4th are both stretches for me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gotta laugh at a team taking Aguayo in the 2nd. They're nuts. The 3rd and the 4th are both stretches for me.

Who do you have rated higher, Ka'imi Fairbairn or Ross Martin?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who do you have rated higher, Ka'imi Fairbairn or Ross Martin?

I don't think Fairbairn offers us anything that Zuerlein doesn't. He's an inconsistent kicker with a big leg. Martin would offer us the opposite of Zuerlein. Very accurate kicker with a weaker leg. So I'd bring in Martin to compete with Zuerlein. I wouldn't rate either over Aguayo but I think you have to be special for me to take you in Round 3 or 4 as a kicker. Aguayo isn't special enough for me.

Look at his career numbers:
Inside 40 - 100%
40-49 - 75%
50+ - 62.5%
Long - 53 yards

Yes, the consistency inside 40 yards is amazing. But many NFL Kickers today hit 95+% of their kicks inside 40 yards. His average from 40-49 yards would be average at best among NFL kickers (I think it's likely below average). His average from 50+ yards would probably be above average but look at his long FG of his career. It's only 53 yards which means he wasn't taking the challenging kicks that most NFL kickers do which means that it's unlikely he'll remain above average when he's asked to make 55+ yard FGs with some regularity.

In fact, over the past 5 years, NFL Kickers have hit 93.5% of kicks under 40 yards and if you remove the blocked kicks, the numbers goes up into the 94% to 95% range. Over that same time period, NFL Kickers have hit 78.0% of their kicks in the 40-49 range and 67.9% of kicks in the 50-53 range.

Basically, Aguayo's numbers are awesome under 40 yards but they're below average over 40 yards. I don't see enough benefit here to spend a high pick on Aguayo. You're basically getting an upgrade from 95% to 100% inside 40 yards (although, we all know the 100% figure won't hold) and a downgrade outside of 40 yards.

Problem here is that Fisher loves kicking long FGs. Aguayo's college numbers are below the NFL average over the past 5 years from 40 yards and beyond.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm not into drafting kickers...always a better one walking around on the street....udfa..then rinse and repeat after 3-4 years....

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He's gonna be the best kicker in the league. The kid has a solid gold foot and he is money.

The last Nole kicker who was drafted super high (Sebastian J) is still kicking ass. This kid is going to be better than him.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
He's gonna be the best kicker in the league. The kid has a solid gold foot and he is money.

The last Nole kicker who was drafted super high (Sebastian J) is still kicking ass. This kid is going to be better than him.

Very possibly true, Selassie.

I'm a big fan, myself.

But the OP asked if Aguayo would be a 2nd round pick. I could see spending our #76 pick in the 3rd round for him, but that's as high as I could go.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think for a team that has redzone issues and wants to score on every possession, he's worth a 3rd.

I also think that GZ will rebound because he had a groin injury for most of the year and that made a difference.

Also, GZ gets put out there in much higher pressure situations than most kickers. When the offense sucks as much as ours has, that's a LOT of pressure...knowing that you may be the ONLY way we score points...unless the defense gets the ball.

I think he rebounds big time. I support getting competition for him, but I've seen him kick live and I've never seen anything like it. He's special and we'll be sorry if we let him go.

Mark my words.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Very possibly true, Selassie.

I'm a big fan, myself.

But the OP asked if Aguayo would be a 2nd round pick. I could see spending our #76 pick in the 3rd round for him, but that's as high as I could go.

Sebastian J was drafted #17 in the 1st. Was he worth it ?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yes he was, Selassie.

But the OP's question was whether Aguayo would be a 2nd round pick.

He won't be, imo.

Well,,, my response was that my crystal ball says Aguayo will have a better career than the drunken Polish kicker in Oakland... and he has been one hell of a kicker for years.

With the additional aid of hindsight... Sebastian's draft # doesn't seem all that crazy now. Maybe it's unconventional to take a kicker high in drafts,,, but it certainly turned out good for that team in Oakland.

My guess... stated again here... is Aguayo is about as sure of a pick not to be a bust as you can get. If your team needs a kicker, and the new rules make them even more valuable, then you can solve your kicking problem for many years by drafting this kid. He's going to be the best in the league.

Does Sure Thing equal a 2nd round pick... it does to me. Thought I already made myself clear.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well,,, my response was that my crystal ball says Aguayo will have a better career than the drunken Polish kicker in Oakland... and he has been one hell of a kicker for years.

With the additional aid of hindsight... Sebastian's draft # doesn't seem all that crazy now. Maybe it's unconventional to take a kicker high in drafts,,, but it certainly turned out good for that team in Oakland.

My guess... stated again here... is Aguayo is about as sure of a pick not to be a bust as you can get. If your team needs a kicker, and the new rules make them even more valuable, then you can solve your kicking problem for many years by drafting this kid. He's going to be the best in the league.

Does Sure Thing equal a 2nd round pick... it does to me. Thought I already made myself clear.

We are talking about 2 different things, Selassie.

Yeah, Aguayo is a talent. Yeah, Janikowski turned out to be an okay 1st round pick.

But so what? That wasn't the thread topic question.

The question was will Aguayo be a 2nd round pick? Imo, no he won't. He might one day prove to have been worth it. But for my money, we have bigger needs and great value at other positions with out two 2nds.

And I'm a big Aguayo fan.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Please say NO to Fairbairn. As a UCLA fan I never trusted him his whole career. His senior year was definately his best though. I would rather sign back Zurlein than take Fairbairn. No I would not like taking a kicker anytime before the 4th round but if Aguayo lasted to the 4th-5th round I wouldnt mind taking him.