Anyone else find all the combine numbers a bit ridiculous?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
Re: Anyone else find all the combine numbers a bit ridiculou

I agree about the combine and over analizing measurables.

Nothing beats the eyes test.

I believe one example of the eye test.... Brian Quick was drafted soley based on what Fisher and Snead saw at a work out, and not on anythng measurable they read.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:
Well... If all this data didn't help the evaluation process I'm sure they'd stop doing it. So, it must work for the scouts.

I agree with jap, however; would be nice to see these guys work in pads.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
But then we wouldn't have been able to see Andre's tits.

andresmith.jpg

:lol:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

MojoRisin

UDFA

The Dog said:
I agree about the combine and over analizing measurables.

Nothing beats the eyes test.

I believe one example of the eye test.... Brian Quick was drafted soley based on what Fisher and Snead saw at a work out, and not on anythng measurable they read.

I agree to an extent..

If Quick doesn't have the measurables, he probably doesnt get a sniff from a scout.

You have to have the measurables to get to the dance.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

X said:
DR RAM said:
MojoRisin said:
DR RAM said:
The bench can tell you a lot about a guy, such as, does he work out, it points towards his work ethic.

I love the combine.

Where you a little concerned with the Brockers pick? He didn't exactly light up the bench.
I was a little, and when he gets stronger, he will be unstoppable, but if you watched his tape, he plays with such incredible leverage that I thought he'd be fine. Now, he ended up being better than fine, but he hasn't come close to reaching his ceiling. Great pick, especially considering we moved down to get him.
His bench press was misreported initially.

[tweet]175686962064269313[/tweet]

He later benched at his pro day and put up 21 reps. Which isn't tremendous, but it is better than what was initially reported. But for someone with 35 inch arms, it's not all that bad either. Plus, most of his strength and push comes from the way he drives with his legs.
Cordy Glenn, a player that I loved last year did 31 reps with almost 36" arms which is extremely impressive. You are right, they are harder to do with long arms. I heard Jared Allen did like 13 reps, so it doesn't mean everything, it's just a piece of the puzzle.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Come on guys... You dont think an OT from Arkansas Pine Bluff deserves a second looks after the numbers he has posted at the combine???

Terron Armstead is 6-5, 306lbs, 34-inch arms, and just ran a 4.65 40. Posted 31 reps too.

If that doesnt wanna make you re-visit the tape on a guy, IDK what will.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

libertadrocks said:
Come on guys... You dont think an OT from Arkansas Pine Bluff deserves a second looks after the numbers he has posted at the combine???

Terron Armstead is 6-5, 306lbs, 34-inch arms, and just ran a 4.65 40. Posted 31 reps too.

...Holy shit. I don't care if it's the Combine or not; that's just as impressive as Dontari Poe running a sub 5.00 40 at his weight.

He just shot his draft stock through the roof, that's for sure.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

libertadrocks said:

Tape is fine, that's what happened to Chris Johnson and his 40 time.

But for every Chris Johnson there's a Vernon Gholston. So yeah...combine is just to see the players. Don't care if one guy did 29 reps or 24 or 30.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

It's more of a chance for teams to get to know prospects, and see their work ethic. For prospects who are already established from their tape, yes it does mean something to a degree.

It is pretty funny to see these some of these fat guys in their underwear try to run though. :lol:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Username said:
It's more of a chance for teams to get to know prospects, and see their work ethic. For prospects who are already established from their tape, yes it does mean something to a degree.

It is pretty funny to see these some of these fat guys in their underwear try to run though. :lol:

lol. Yeah. Kinda sad that Im 6-3, 185, and workout 5 or 6 days a week, yet half of these OLinemen probably run a faster 40 than I do.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Memento said:
libertadrocks said:

...Holy shit. I don't care if it's the Combine or not; that's just as impressive as Dontari Poe running a sub 5.00 40 at his weight.

Vs Alabama St. @ :39 <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUXt6Y1AoII" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUXt6Y1AoII</a>

/Discussion

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Mamula

/discussion :razzed:

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo

Eifert and Ertz clearly "cheating" on bench press by arching their back ridiculously more and more thru each rep and allowing shoulder effort for additional help. :cmon:

I'm only 190lbs and can clear 225 the right way and at least 20x . Where's the fuckin ROD Scouting Combine? :gr:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Username said:
Memento said:
libertadrocks said:

Vs Alabama St. @ :39 <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUXt6Y1AoII" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUXt6Y1AoII</a>

/Discussion
Great ability, and he played OK at the East West Shrine against decent competition, but....he needs a lot of coaching. His technique, as simple as just releasing from the line, needs work. Doesn't appear to play with a mean streak. Doesn't consistently play with leverage, nor am I sure if he understands it, but when he does, he's a load. I'll put most of it on coaching, but I'd do a lot of homework on him. 4th rounder unless he got a great report from the East West Shrine coaches on his ability to learn.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Cooper looked real good in the movement drills, Fluker did not.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shoot after a couple bean burritos I have great movement drills.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Angry Ram said:
Shoot after a couple bean burritos I have great movement drills.

TMI :razzed:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Warner4Prez said:
I agree. I think the NFL has taken an even that is viewed by a lot of top NFL people as useless and turned it into a media circus. PFT ran a blip the other day that said that nearly every team is only concerned with medical exams and then interviews, with actual combine numbers falling by the wayside.

Tape is all that really matters, the NFL and powers that be have just managed to get us hyped on random numbers.

This isn't correct. NFL people do not believe the combine is useless. It's one of the most important parts of the draft process. People just overrate the measurables portion. The medical, interviews and position drill portions are more important than measurables.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

DR RAM said:
Username said:
Memento said:
libertadrocks said:

/Discussion
Great ability, and he played OK at the East West Shrine against decent competition, but....he needs a lot of coaching. His technique, as simple as just releasing from the line, needs work. Doesn't appear to play with a mean streak. Doesn't consistently play with leverage, nor am I sure if he understands it, but when he does, he's a load. I'll put most of it on coaching, but I'd do a lot of homework on him. 4th rounder unless he got a great report from the East West Shrine coaches on his ability to learn.

I'm not a fan of any OT that gets blown up by a linebacker so bad that he makes the tackle with his own body. Looks way too raw, even with coach Boudreau on our side.

fearsomefour

Legend

Exactly. Can he slide? How is his lateral movement? Does he set up with balance? It is pretty silly to use a 40 and vert jump ect. for anything other than a measure of general athleticism.
I dont care what a WR runs in the 40, I want to see change of direction.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Faulk has some high praise for Austin... Harvin and Welker combined..... If Amendola does leave, we have to pick him with 22. If I was Snead I'd be telling Amendola's agent if he wants to test FA he's not going to get more money out of them.