Anybody now think it might be easier to extend our upcoming UFA’s?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I mean, because of the successes of this current McVay coached team?

Think about it.

The Rams have their fair share of players that they really want (maybe even need) to extend.

Donald
Joyner
TruJo
Watkins

These guys probably top the list but there are others, too.

My theory? Extensions might now be easier because this Ram team and coaching staff are exciting, fun to play for, and are going places. Places like the playoffs, I think. Geez, what more would a FA be looking for?

Assuming that the Rams can offer a competitive salary, what player wouldn’t want to stay? This is a golden opportunity for FA’s, certainly starting with some of our own. Notice some of the comments coming from TruJo lately? About how pleasing it is to (finally) be playing on a team that possesses a top O? Who knows? TruJo might just be a Ram in ‘18 after all.

Hopefully, our upcoming UFA’s can and will see the Big Picture when deciding where they want to play in ‘18. Nothing is more sad than seeing a quality player stuck on a team that is poorly coached and/or lacking in surrounding talent. And there is no shortage of such teams that will be waving their checkbooks at FA’s again this next offseason.

Here’s hoping that we can keep this McVay/Phillips Express going next year with key extensions.

socalrams90

Starter
One thing for sure, if we lose players we definitely are going to be attractive to free agents. Up and coming young team in LA built to win a SB in the next 3 years. Being in LA will start to have its benefits for us pretty soon.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald, Watkins and TruJo already sort of have an easy to agree upon set market. About $12 mil each for Tru and Sammy, highest paid D player for Donald..

Joyner concerns me. Wade won a super bowl with Darian Stewart at safety...they might not put a premium on that position, and Joyner has played like a top 5 safety this year, which would fetch around $8 mil per year..

I personally want to keep him but just thinking about team structure, could see Joyner being the one that they let go

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Exactly, winning is what makes markets attractive, LA all the better. Nobody signing up for a 4-12 shit show. Remember when Denver got all those free agents when they had Peyton Noodle? Let's see how many they get without a QB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The value of DB Lamarcus Joyner to the Rams defense has increased as this season wears on, The implosion of former starting safety now departed Mo Alexander plus loss of long time 3rd safety & Nickle-Back Cody Davis to the IR & soon UFA'cy in March. Rams no longer have any Ram drafted safeties waiting in the wings to replace Joyner.

Rams Org. do have 3 wavier wire signed safeties as depth. All were released/cut from previous NFL teams. With the above having taken place if LJ was to be unable play the Rams would have to depend on those 3 WWC's back ups. Countess is the best of the three but he is not a good slot cover DB. LJ has been our main DB who has been assigned to cover the slot receiver now since his rookie season.

If the Rams fail to be able to sign DB's who enter into Free Agency in march i.e.Trumaine Johnson, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Troy Hill & Cody Davis......resigning LJ IMO is a big NEED!

Last edited:

RedRam

Pro Bowler
For those wanting the most money they can possibly get, Cleveland has cap room to spare!

I'm no mathematician, but the math is pretty clear to me...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Donald
Joyner
TruJo
Watkins

I would prioritize Donald first off, and try to get him locked up. But there is time with him, not to mention there is an option to move him in a blockbuster deal if they need to. I love the guy and would do what I can to keep him in horns but he can't be more important than the team at large so if you need to move him and draft a replacement so be it.

Joyner is valuable and all but I wouldn't pay him big money in this defense. If they can get him for a meet-in-the-middle deal then do it, otherwise move on. He's a flexibility/role guy, moreso than a dominant force in the middle, and I really like the way JJ has been playing.

Johnson is gone. Would not waste my time trying to sign a #2 who thinks he's a #1.

Watkins has injury history and really has a half-season left to show the Rams why they should pay him. I'm ok with signing him, but the buy-in has to be there on his part and I would not give him elite money. At this point I'd say he's a 75% chance of departure in FA because this is not an offense that is going to give a wideout high touch numbers.

Here's what I would guess is going to happen:

Donald - signed to mega deal.
Joyner - signed to reasonable deal.
TruJo - depart FA.
Watkins - depart FA.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
We have a lot of people to sign this offseason. Makes me a little nervous because we have some big money FA's that's going to require that we pinch pennies with others. That in itself is going to be the hardest part in maintaining our dominance on the defensive side and offense.

Restructure Tavons deal. He'll want to be here but he's going to have to restructure that #1WR money if he stays the course that he's on right now. If he blows up and plays out of his mind in the 2nd half of the season then i'd have no issues keeping him where he's at.

Let Tru walk, Like others have said. He wants shutdown corner money. He' not a shutdown corner. Nuff said.

Quinn, if he comes cheap, i say resign him. Otherwise maybe upgrade that position

Watkins, I assume his play will be consistent with what we've seen up to the mid point. He'll have his big games and he'll have his games where he goes into hiding. I think it's just the system we play in. While it's important we have that guy that requires double covering it's just as important to realize we can't overpay someone who isn't putting up 1500 receiving yards a year. I wouldn't expect him to get paid anymore than TA is getting currently. Especially if TA restructures.

Joyner is a work horse. Sign him now. No need to make more holes on our team when we have a guy there who's playing out of his mind.

Davis, Sign the dude, he'll come cheap and he fits so well in Bums Defense. Maybe better than Joyner :)

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One thing for sure, if we lose players we definitely are going to be attractive to free agents. Up and coming young team in LA built to win a SB in the next 3 years. Being in LA will start to have its benefits for us pretty soon.
It's definitely going to be an interesting off season:
* We will have a lot of FA's that we will want to keep.
* There will be FA's that want to stay!
* There will be FA's that want to test the Market!
* there will be Teams chasing after our FA's!
* AND I'm sure glad I don't have to make the decision on who to keep and who to let go!!

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'd work on restructuring Tavons and TruJo's contracts. I feel like this organization is going to be run like the Patriots. Do the players want to chase Super Bowls or the highest pay checks? If we can restructure Tru's and tavons contracts and pay them what they're worth ( gadget player and #2 corner) I'd love to have them. Then work on extending other players contracts while looking for a #1 corner and depth in the draft.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I'd work on restructuring Tavons and TruJo's contracts. I feel like this organization is going to be run like the Patriots. Do the players want to chase Super Bowls or the highest pay checks? If we can restructure Tru's and tavons contracts and pay them what they're worth ( gadget player and #2 corner) I'd love to have them. Then work on extending other players contracts while looking for a #1 corner and depth in the draft.
Agree. I'd say restructure Tavon and Quinn's contract. Tru's contract is up at the end of the season, but I'd like to keep him at a reasonable price. Though after tagging him twice it might be hard.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Agree. I'd say restructure Tavon and Quinn's contract. Tru's contract is up at the end of the season, but I'd like to keep him at a reasonable price. Though after tagging him twice it might be hard.
I think Longacre has made Quinn expendable and would only tie money up in a player we don't even need. We dont really have any holes in our team except we will need someone to replace Barwin come next year. So we could grab someone pretty early in the draft to back up Longacre.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think Longacre has made Quinn expendable and would only tie money up in a player we don't even need. We dont really have any holes in our team except we will need someone to replace Barwin come next year. So we could grab someone pretty early in the draft to back up Longacre.
There's (at least) 8 games left in this season, I think it's a little early to predict who's expendable and who will be starting next season. Longacre's contract is also up. I agree that Quinn isn't playing at the level he used to be, but he still has value. If they could get him on a team friendly contract I don't see how that hurts the team.

As far as backups go Ebukam is coming along nicely, and Price looked good in preseason, he might get some playing time as the season progresses.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Donald, Watkins and TruJo already sort of have an easy to agree upon set market. About $12 mil each for Tru and Sammy, highest paid D player for Donald..

Joyner concerns me. Wade won a super bowl with Darian Stewart at safety...they might not put a premium on that position, and Joyner has played like a top 5 safety this year, which would fetch around $8 mil per year..

I personally want to keep him but just thinking about team structure, could see Joyner being the one that they let go

I could see Joyner staying for less than other teams may offer him. We know he loves the game, he knows the current staff wants him on the field as much as possible. And in the end that is what Joyner wants, to be on the field helping his team win. There is no weather better than SoCal, everywhere else is either cold, or summers are hot and humid or just hotter than hell. And I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Joyner wants a ring and believes that the Rams have the staff and personell to do just that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It should be easier because this team & its players are growing & getting better & having a blast in wining. Here some considerations in this upcoming off season in four months.

Center John Sullivan - Might end up as an alternate on the pro bowl if he stays healthy. A new 3 yr contract would be wise if he is accommodating with a moderate priced contract. I remain very positive for this.

OLG Rodger Saffold- Not a UFA until 2019 but I would seek to keep him longer thus I would look to do an extension in 2018 for 3 additional seasons. Why? Name his replacement @ the moment? ....OK you now understand my #1 reason. Now my 2nd reason Rams do not have bona fide starting capable LT reserve on this roster if something was to occur to Andrew Whitworth. Darrell Williams will be involved in Free Agency in March 2018 too plus DW has yet to start an NFL game.

OLB'er Matt Longacre- Matt will enter Free Agency in March 2018. The reason is evident from his play this season. I would like to suggest a 3 yr new contract for 7 million & let him know he is expected to be our starter in 2018 & beyond if he continues to play with the same results.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Departing UFA's :

Trumaine Johnson
Connor Barwin
Derick Carrier

Re-signed UFA's :

Sammy Watkins (5 years)
LaMarcus Joyner (4 years)
John Sullivan (2 years)
Nickell Robey-Coleman (3 years)
Dominique Easley (if healthy - 2 years)
Cody Davis (2 years)
Jake McQuaide (2 years)

On the Bubble :

Lance Dunbar (if Austin is traded, Dunbar gets re-signed - if Austin is retained for even 1 more season, which is likely imo, Dunbar departs)

Tyrunn Walker (strong potential for another free agent acquisition at NT)

Cornelius Lucas (should the Rams draft an OLT as an eventual replacement for Whitworth, he'd likely play OG for a couple years & be the first reserve LT off the bench, making Lucas redundant. Of course, the health and playing status of Andrew Donnal also makes the question of reserve offensive linemen a bit unpredictable.

Returning RFA's :

OLB/DE - Matt Longacre
FS - Isaiah Johnson
OT - Darrell Williams
RB - Malcolm Brown
WR - Bradley Marquez
CB - Troy Hill

CAP Casualty Cuts :

DE/OLB - Robert Quinn
DE - Ethan Westbrooks

Trade :

Sean Mannion (2018 is final contract year, ... the Rams have too many quality QB coaches on staff to not develop another young QB at this time)

Draft (Not necessarily in this oder) :

CB
LT
OLB
S
C/OG
CB
QB

Free Agency :

NT (Potential replacement for T.Walker and competition for T.Smart/Omarius Bryant)
ILB (Todd Davis of Denver, formerly coached by Wade Phillips)
OLB (competing with Longacre for starting role)