Anybody Else Just Sick For Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sure he cannot play his favorite game anymore but I know kids that never even got the chance to play that game. There are people all around us that have it bad their entire lives and never get to sniff the level of success that Sam has. I feel sorry for them.
How does the latter cancel out the former? That's like saying it's okay that I lost my house in a hurricane, because there are lots of people who never owned a house so I feel worse for them. I mean, it's perfectly within your rights to not feel bad for the guy, but that kind of rationalization certainly won't take away the devastation he most certainly feels (if he can't play anymore). If he can rehab and get back to it, then this is all a moot point anyway.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Of course I do. Nobody wants the ability to do what they love taken away from them. And for the people out in the internet who keep freaking citing how much money he has, and how it should make up for every other disappointment in his life, get a freaking grip. I'm sure Bradford would trade any money he's made for the chance to keep playing QB in the NFL injury free. It would be the same for anyone else. If your main joy in life was taken away, you'd give up your money to be able to keep doing it. Hell, lots of people say they'd play in the NFL for free, or give their left nut to be able to do what he does. But he shouldn't care anymore because he got paid? Ridiculous.

Amen bro.
Money isn't everything.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The guy didnt pizz away his opportunity like many, many others have done. He's busted his rear to get healthy and contribute. Its not his fault he got paid what he got paid.
I feel a lack of empathy for his situation is pretty disturbing.
ACL tear on same knee less than 8 months from previous? Man, that dude is in for a world of hurt to rehab that.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
ATTENTION ALL RAMS FANS !

As a die hard Rams fan I have been supportive of Bradford as he's a Ram. I still believe he has BIGTIME talent but it will never be realized. I have never been a hater, i've never been a mom, but it is time to say "injury prone". The fact of the matter is that the Rams must draft the future QB of this franchise and WE WILL BEGIN A NEW ERA. Lets us unite in that what must become-----The future franchise of Stl. Rams!
Bradford should immediately renegotiate his contract and resign for back up QB money 3-5 mil a year over 5 years with next to nothing guaranteed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
How does the latter cancel out the former? That's like saying it's okay that I lost my house in a hurricane, because there are lots of people who never owned a house so I feel worse for them. I mean, it's perfectly within your rights to not feel bad for the guy, but that kind of rationalization certainly won't take away the devastation he most certainly feels (if he can't play anymore). If he can rehab and get back to it, then this is all a moot point anyway.

I am sure he is devastated. But that doesn't mean I have to feel bad for him. Like I said, up to this point the guy has had a fantastic life, full of success. I feel bad for my neighbor who worked with MS for 15 years until the doctors forced him to quit and is now stuck in a chair. I feel bad for the kids with Spina Bifida that cannot run with a ball much less walk. I feel bad for the poor kids who are born into a family of drug addicts. I feel bad for the poor people who lost everything in hurricane Katrina. I feel bad for the people that cannot have children. But I dont feel sorry for anyone that has had wild success his entire life and chose to play a game for a living where he knew that he could get seriously hurt.

I doubt Sam wants any of us to feel sorry for him either.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The guy didnt pizz away his opportunity like many, many others have done. He's busted his rear to get healthy and contribute. Its not his fault he got paid what he got paid.
I feel a lack of empathy for his situation is pretty disturbing.
ACL tear on same knee less than 8 months from previous? Man, that dude is in for a world of hurt to rehab that.

I dont think it is disturbing at all. I dont have a grudge about him getting paid. I have never complained about that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I am sure he is devastated. But that doesn't mean I have to feel bad for him. Like I said, up to this point the guy has had a fantastic life, full of success. I feel bad for my neighbor who worked with MS for 15 years until the doctors forced him to quit and is now stuck in a chair. I feel bad for the kids with Spina Bifida that cannot run with a ball much less walk. I feel bad for the poor kids who are born into a family of drug addicts. I feel bad for the poor people who lost everything in hurricane Katrina. I feel bad for the people that cannot have children. But I dont feel sorry for anyone that has had wild success his entire life and chose to play a game for a living where he knew that he could get seriously hurt.

I doubt Sam wants any of us to feel sorry for him either.
That's cool. I'm not suggesting that you have to feel bad for him. And I'm sure Bradford doesn't need anyone's pity. There's also no shortage of people I feel bad for in the world, and that extends to animals too. But that really doesn't make me feel any less worse for Bradford, because I know first-hand what it's like to lose the ability to play football. But I can't imagine what it must be like to lose it at that level.

I'm sure he'll be fine in the long-run, but at this very moment, I can only imagine how shitty he feels.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
I don't feel too bad for Sam. He has a great life. Football legend at Oklahoma. Top dog at his high school. Probably had his choice of chicks all those years. Would never have trouble finding a job. Doesn't need to get a job if he isn't dumb about his money. There are a lot of people in this country that are struggling to pay the mortgage or find work or with being alone. I can't feel that bad for a guy who has had such a good life up to this point.

You make a good point in order to keep it in perspective. The only thing is I don't think Sam Bradford plays football for the money. He's always been a competitor and loves to compete so I know this has devastated him. He's just injury prone. He'll only play for the Rams again if they restructure or re-sign him at a lower number and even then they'll HAVE TO GET a young QB to groom behind him should he (most likely) mot be able to stay healthy again.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You make a good point in order to keep it in perspective. The only thing is I don't think Sam Bradford plays football for the money. He's always been a competitor and loves to compete so I know this has devastated him. He's just injury prone. He'll only play for the Rams again if they restructure or re-sign him at a lower number and even then they'll HAVE TO GET a young QB to groom behind him should he (most likely) mot be able to stay healthy again.

They all play for the money. Nobody wants to feel the way these guys feel on Monday morning for free.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think it is disturbing at all. I dont have a grudge about him getting paid. I have never complained about that.
You seem to focus quite a bit on the money factor. He's been succesful because he's got a gift and has worked his azz off to get better. And now due to a series of fluke injury, his career may be over.
That's an abrubt end to a lifetime quest, and he's got a rough azz road ahead.
There's a big difference between feeling sorry for someone, and having empathy.
Having zero empathy? Yeah thats disturbing to me

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You seem to focus quite a bit on the money factor. He's been succesful because he's got a gift and has worked his azz off to get better. And now due to a series of fluke injury, his career may be over.
That's an abrubt end to a lifetime quest, and he's got a rough azz road ahead.
There's a big difference between feeling sorry for someone, and having empathy.
Having zero empathy? Yeah thats disturbing to me

What you think things seem to be and what they are dont always match. I have noticed that about you.

I said it sucks. That is empathy. I dont feel sorry for him though. Maybe you should start a thread or even a forum to show sorrow for all of these players that get injured in the NFL? I wont join it they have had it better than most. They lived a dream.

Like I said Sam has had a good life. He will continiue to have a good life. He should have no regrets or sorrow about the decisions he has made.

Rams0307

Spot on analysis, Memphis, I agree with your sentiment. Kid worked so hard, but came into a quagmire of a situation. Not enough was done, especially by the Spags/Devaney regime, to support and protect Bradford.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
With so much focus on how his loss impacts the team this season, his contract and salary cap concerns, replacements now and in the future, and so on......has anyone really sat back and thought about how sick Bradford is right now?

The kid was a #1 pick in the NFL draft and went to an organization that over the years, poorly put pieces around him via coaching, players, and even strategy for his development. He gets hurt, rehabs like crazy to get back, and just when he finally gets his shot to play for what appears will be a very good team, he hurts the same knee he spent months rehabbing and is out for the season. Damn.

And it could only get worse for him, if Shaun Hill comes in and has a Rich Gannon like late career success story with his team. Perhaps, the only person that could possibly even come close to understanding would probably be Trent Green.

Absolutely I do. So many people look at the fact he's made all this money. Sure, he's made a lot of it. But he's still a kid. A young man that loves the game and has done things the right way. He's a good teammate, works hard to improve and never says anything negative about the people around him. He's been dealt a bad hand, unfortunately. Injury prone, not injury prone, whatever. Imagine if we drafted him last year. He'd have a WAY better team around him and we'd probably be talking about the next Brady (or something like that).
Unfortunately he came into a 5-42 team that was an utter mess and things didn't work out the way we all hoped. The worst part is the team is finally really close to being very good.
He just isn't (at least not this year) going to be able to reap the benefits of it.

Almost like Steven Jackson without the injury story.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I can only imagine his disappointment after all the rehab and the fact that he would be starting on a good team for once. FWIW, sometimes the doctors don't do a perfect job. For a guy walking on the street, it might not ever be a problem, but for Sam...

AnarchyRam

Rookie
They all play for the money. Nobody wants to feel the way these guys feel on Monday morning for free.
Did Bradford play basketball, football and golf in high school and college for the money? Pro sports is awesome for them in that it allows them to make serious money doing what they enjoy anyway. It's like an artist who toils in obscurity and starts making good money.. suddenly they sold out??

iced

There's no worse feeling of disappointment than working your ass off to play one of your favorite sports, only have it to cut short by a serious injury - especially one you just spent rehabbing...You put in all that effort and time, you have your hopes up and look forward to playin' with your buddies (anyone who is competitive knows this feeling).....It doesn't matter if you're just a teenager or a Paid professional - it still sucks tremendously

but that's where you turn that sadness into anger, and anger into fire - and when you have awesome teammates/friends, it's only even more encouraging. I hope Sam recovers, and he's ready to battle whoever else they bring in next season.

Yea Sam has made a lot of money...so what? He just had one of his favorite things ripped from him..and if he's as passionate about football as a lot of us (or perhaps even more?), imagine how that would feel to you... This game isn't always about money to some - it's the game itself that drives most.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Did Bradford play basketball, football and golf in high school and college for the money? Pro sports is awesome for them in that it allows them to make serious money doing what they enjoy anyway. It's like an artist who toils in obscurity and starts making good money.. suddenly they sold out??

No not at all. It is just a different level of pain. Very few high school players have life altering injuries after their careers. Lots of NFL players can hardly walk or are addicted to pain killers because of daily pain. There is more of a sacrifice. Put pads on and let an NFL linebacker or De tackle you then let your neighbor do it and tell me there isnt a big difference. My brother was a high school standout Olineman and DE. He loved playing at that level. When he got to college he said it was too much like work and didn't really like it. The level of sacrifice to play at the elite level comes with compensation for a reason. I wouldn't put myself through it for free, especially if I was supporting myself with a real job. Very few pros could even do it.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Holy smokes, I have defended Sam as our quarterback for years. I have watched this team struggle from one hopeless year after another, and now this ... Holy smokes, we finally built a team around him and this happens. This, this this is why I believe in building your team up first before spending something like a first round pick on a quarterback.

Second year in a row we lost our starting quarterback early in the season, this time before it even started with one of the most difficult schedules in the league? I know you all know what this is doing to me as a fan. I am so frustrated I have no words.

Am I sick for Sam? No, but at this point I am finally truly sick of the whole situation. If I was him, I'd get out of football while I can still walk. Walk away and don't look back. The organization needs to get someone decent who can play a full season to fill in until we have a stable offensive line with good depth.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
YES!!! Forget the team for a minuite...

I'm just sick he didn't get to show the QB he was and the haters will never let it down.