Any updates/thoughts on Jo-Lonn Dunbar?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I am probably totally wrong but I really thought that when the Rams released Dunbar that they really had plans on bringing him back in the very near future! I am just wondering if anyone has heard or read any rumors /news or have any personal opinions on Dunbar. Personally, I think he was a huge part of the Rams defense last season and I am hoping the Rams do bring him back after his suspension.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well here's the thing I was saying about Dunbar ,he'd pretty well lost the job he had last year to a rookie, cuz Ogletree is playing that position and was good for 8 tackles (first on the team) in his first game, AND had shown himself during the pre season as far better in pass coverage.

We can parse this to be JUST a salary cap saving ALL we want but in end if he was justifying the salary he'd never have been dropped so I'm not pining for the guy. At the same time other people were getting raises he was cut to save money, tells me what the coaches thought about his value to the team ,sure if we have injuries it'd be nice to have him waiting in the wings but you don't maneuver this way with vital pieces.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Hers the thing I'm thinking TD.......Dunbar brings experience and ability to a unit that can use some depth and he knows the system and the terminology. Plus he is better than the 53rd guy on the roster.......so if he is available to bring back to me it's a no brainier.

If he is available and they don't bring him back it tells us he did something really, really,really bad.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
LesBaker said:
Hers the thing I'm thinking TD.......Dunbar brings experience and ability to a unit that can use some depth and he knows the system and the terminology. Plus he is better than the 53rd guy on the roster.......so if he is available to bring back to me it's a no brainier.

If he is available and they don't bring him back it tells us he did something really, really,really bad.

The problem I see with that Les is we don't carry 53 linebackers, he has to be better than the lowest ranked LB and THEN you probably need to ask if he'll STILL be better by the end of the year.

I agree in a cap free roster number free environment he's worth a spot, but WORTH A SPOT is determined by all the variables and it's pretty evident when they were all combined Fish decided he wasn't worth it,so considering HOW MUCH better we have become in a very short time ,I'm down with this decision.
BTW ,anyone noticed how well George Selvie is doing ?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Is he better than Witherspoon? I think Dunbar is definitely better than WW against the run but maybe not against the pass. Witherspoons contract is guaranteed so they wont cut Wil. But Dunbar of last year is an upgrade over the slower Spoon.

So, do they bring back Dunbar and bump Bates or Armstrong? The push to be a young team would make it seem unlikely.

If they did bump one of them it would be Bates. However they could cut someone from another position, like RB since they have a plethora (as El Guapo would say). So, is Dunbar more valuable to the team than Chance Reynolds? I would think so. His aggression and enthusiasm is good for the team.

Then the real question is 'Can he still play with that level of aggression and enthusiasm without the substance that he tested positive for?' (maybe Cocaine? as rumored). I doubt it, but the coaches know what they saw on the practice field. If they think he still has it in him then they bring him back.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Elmgrovegnome said:
Is he better than Witherspoon? I think Dunbar is definitely better than WW against the run but maybe not against the pass. Witherspoons contract is guaranteed so they wont cut Wil. But Dunbar of last year is an upgrade over the slower Spoon.

So, do they bring back Dunbar and bump Bates or Armstrong? The push to be a young team would make it seem unlikely.

If they did bump one of them it would be Bates. However they could cut someone from another position, like RB since they have a plethora (as El Guapo would say). So, is Dunbar more valuable to the team than Chance Reynolds? I would think so. His aggression and enthusiasm is good for the team.

Then the real question is 'Can he still play with that level of aggression and enthusiasm without the substance that he tested positive for?' (maybe Cocaine? as rumored). I doubt it, but the coaches know what they saw on the practice field. If they think he still has it in him then they bring him back.
Good points all around.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Elmgrovegnome said:

Good points all around.
ME?
I'm glad we have a team good enough to decide to cut a player of his caliber,just sayin'.

As far as superiority over WW goes,I can't think of a LB in the whole league I'd rather have mentoring our young guys,he's a class act, just is.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Is his suspension underway? I thought if wasn't served until he was on an active roster. But I could be wrong

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
El Juggernauto said:
Is his suspension underway? I thought if wasn't served until he was on an active roster. But I could be wrong
I've heard it reported both ways, ,I think it is served regardless if he's on a roster.

THAT IS a very salient issue here cuz, after the suspension is served I think we'll revisit this and THEN we'll all get to know what the Rams coaches really think of Dunbar.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
When you start your season with four rookies LB'ers Bates, Tree, Armstrong & Stewart one would think that you would want a true class act professional presence to guide, direct & help instruct them how to play pro ball ahead of them. Would you want that player to be a Dunbar who is not available to play in the first 6 games of the season or a player like Spoon ? That would not be a hard decision for me to make.

Not having Dunbar on the field versus having Spoon is one could debate but I would bet that Dunbar is much better than Spoon overall in the on field play area. So Dunbar not being on the field has cost & hurt the Rams. Not Good!

One of the new & bright positive areas ongoing on this Ram team is LB'er cadre. It will be vital to get these four LB'ers on the right positive good path from the very beginning of this 16 game season especially after two of the better rookies Ogletree & Armstrong have a history of making negative bad decisions. Those decision have cost their past teams. Dunbar IMO is costing the Rams now & Snead & Fisher made the hard but right decision in cutting ties with Dunbar.

Dunbar like Spoon can play all three Ram Lb'ing posts he can also play in the Nickle & Dime Lb'er position....very valuable. Dunbar could work his way back into this team if he wants to sacrifice his pride. A true test of quality IMO. Dunbar can offer the Rams a vet presence to go with JL & Spoon a good thing. But the Rams have only 5 Lb'ers on the master roster now meaning Fisher & Walton feel comfortable with Bates-Ray Ray & Tree. Dunbar future with this team ......doubtful IMO.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
BonifayRam said:
When you start your season with four rookies LB'ers Bates, Tree, Armstrong & Stewart one would think that you would want a true class act professional presence to guide, direct & help instruct them how to play pro ball ahead of them. Would you want that player to be a Dunbar who is not available to play in the first 6 games of the season or a player like Spoon ? That would not be a hard decision for me to make.

Not having Dunbar on the field versus having Spoon is one could debate but I would bet that Dunbar is much better than Spoon overall in the on field play area. So Dunbar not being on the field has cost & hurt the Rams. Not Good!

One of the new & bright positive areas ongoing on this Ram team is LB'er cadre. It will be vital to get these four LB'ers on the right positive good path from the very beginning of this 16 game season especially after two of the better rookies Ogletree & Armstrong have a history of making negative bad decisions. Those decision have cost their past teams. Dunbar IMO is costing the Rams now & Snead & Fisher made the hard but right decision in cutting ties with Dunbar.

Dunbar like Spoon can play all three Ram Lb'ing posts he can also play in the Nickle & Dime Lb'er position....very valuable. Dunbar could work his way back into this team if he wants to sacrifice his pride. A true test of quality IMO. Dunbar can offer the Rams a vet presence to go with JL & Spoon a good thing. But the Rams have only 5 Lb'ers on the master roster now meaning Fisher & Walton feel comfortable with Bates-Ray Ray & Tree. Dunbar future with this team ......doubtful IMO.
Yeah ,if I was gonna type a post that long ,I'd say the same. thanks :ww:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I think there's still a place on this roster for Dunbar, especially considering Spoon's age and the length of season remaining.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
BonifayRam said:

Dunbar's suspension is for 4 games.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I would be more than happy to have Dunbar back on this team. I think he brought a certain energy to the defense that got the unit going. He reminded me of London Fletcher in that way. If he comes back it makes our front 7 quite formidable.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
brokeu91 said:
I would be more than happy to have Dunbar back on this team. I think he brought a certain energy to the defense that got the unit going. He reminded me of London Fletcher in that way. If he comes back it makes our front 7 quite formidable.

Totally agree! I hope the Rams can get him back!