Any body want Duke Johnson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Duke Johnson just requested a trade. He’s a pass catching stud. A nice checkdown safety net.
CJ Anderson just signed with the lions.
If we can get him for a low draft pick, I’d pull the trigger.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Think he just signed a new deal last year so he’d probably be too much

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Browns are always on locally here so I watch them quite a bit.

Duke Johnson is a bum. Never understood why the Browns have invested in him. Despite their lack of talent they've always had a better RB than him that they've taken off the field.

Malcolm Brown is better than him and I would rather see John Kelly too.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really? I have to admit I’ve never watched him play. Was always a bench dweller on my fantasy team. Very consistent with catches and some yards.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I personally like the potential of Duke. Not sure what it'd cost but you can put me in the "yeah, I'm interested depending on cost" camp

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I personally like the potential of Duke. Not sure what it'd cost but you can put me in the "yeah, I'm interested depending on cost" camp

From sportac it seems he signed a 3 year extension last season on the last year of his rookie deal. So he will be paid $2.3m this season, $4.1m next season and $5.15m in the final season. I think this year's salary is guaranteed.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really? I have to admit I’ve never watched him play. Was always a bench dweller on my fantasy team. Very consistent with catches and some yards.

I think he did a lot of his damage when the Browns were down.

I've never seen him do much in competitive games, although like I said before, the Browns seemed to always want to get him involved for some reason.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I am glad for CJ that he got another contract and glad for us that he will offset Matthews and get us back the 4th round comp pick for Joyner.

I've seen this statement a couple of times now from a few ROD posters and I'm a little confused as to how the Comp pick deal works. Surely CJ's deal would have to be commensurate with what we are paying Matthews for it to 'recoup' the pick? I doubt Anderson gets a deal in the $6-8M range so wouldn't it be more likely we lose the Joyner 4th rd pick and maybe pick up a pick in the 6th or 7th depending on what Anderson's contract terms are?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen this statement a couple of times now from a few ROD posters and I'm a little confused as to how the Comp pick deal works. Surely CJ's deal would have to be commensurate with what we are paying Matthews for it to 'recoup' the pick? I doubt Anderson gets a deal in the $6-8M range so wouldn't it be more likely we lose the Joyner 4th rd pick and maybe pick up a pick in the 6th or 7th depending on what Anderson's contract terms are?

We don't know yet what the lions paid cj. If it's $4m then it will offset the Matthews signing.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Essentially the signing of Matthews would either cancel out an equal value free agent signing from a guy we lose. If there is no equal value signing it will cancel out the lowest value of ours. They won't reduce the value of a signing just cancel one out.

Ramrocket

Name
Rod
We don't know yet what the lions paid cj. If it's $4m then it will offset the Matthews signing.

Thanks KF

Just $4M? That's great. I was under the impression that the contract was for $16M over 2 yrs. I know there are incentives built into it but figures the base was around $6M. I see now it is a base of just $4.6M per yr. Do the 'likely to be earned' incentives in this contract come into consideration for the comp picks?

Ramrocket

Name
Rod
Essentially the signing of Matthews would either cancel out an equal value free agent signing from a guy we lose. If there is no equal value signing it will cancel out the lowest value of ours. They won't reduce the value of a signing just cancel one out.

That makes sense too. Easier to manage as well.Thanks OldSchool

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Matthews' deal apparently offered a bunch of incentives and bonuses that don't count for comp reasons - basically only the salary matters, don't know about signing bonus. As @OldSchool said, signings will first cancel out comp picks from the same round. If there isn't one, then lower round picks get canceled. If none of those, then they will cancel out a higher pick. When the Rams only had lost Joyner and Saffold - both likely 4th rounders - the Matthews signing was going to counteract one of those, even though Matthews' contract likely would get a 6th (possibly 5th, but not likely) pick. But a 7th round type comp signing like Anderson's likely is, would counteract Matthews' first - so long as hes' on their roster for 10 games.

Limey

Rookie
You can keep track of it here:

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/