Any Blake Bortles (Backup QB) Updates?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Does anyone have any updates on if the Rams are trying to re-sign Blake Bortles as their backup QB? If not, Can we expect them to stick with Wolford(sp?) or look for someone in Free Agency or the Draft? Personally, I would like to see them re-sign Bortles since he is a Veteran and already knows the Rams system (And, Who knows maybe he could be another reason Fournette would like to join the Rams)!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I prefer the Rams start drafting and developing depth QBs. They have the offensive staff to do that. It just requires a draft pick mid to late rounds in every other draft or so, and then flipping these QBs to other teams once they grow a bit.

Our roster probably has too many needs to do it this year. Not to mention needing a kicker. So maybe start doing that next offseason but I would like to see us go that route. A second or third year backup who can torch opposing defenses in this system in preseason probably isn't too hard to pull off, and it has the potential to be quite desirable in trade which would be a nice way to supplement our picks every two or three seasons.

And in the event you really hit on a QB, then it gives you flexibility to flip your starter.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I prefer the Rams start drafting and developing depth QBs. They have the offensive staff to do that. It just requires a draft pick mid to late rounds in every other draft or so, and then flipping these QBs to other teams once they grow a bit.

Our roster probably has too many needs to do it this year. Not to mention needing a kicker. So maybe start doing that next offseason but I would like to see us go that route. A second or third year backup who can torch opposing defenses in this system in preseason probably isn't too hard to pull off, and it has the potential to be quite desirable in trade which would be a nice way to supplement our picks every two or three seasons.

And in the event you really hit on a QB, then it gives you flexibility to flip your starter.

flip your starter ?? Yeah go away from Jared Goff ? His salary is high,but he should be a Ram for a ling time. He & Mcvay are sort of tied at the hip ??

A kicker ?? The Rams just signed 2 kickers so that is off the table for sure!!

Yeah - will see the direction McSnead go this draft. I know I’ll have a better idea on there thinking after it.
We get to see the development of there past drafts now. 2018 might have been a lossing season as far as the draft goes. Then there bad signings & use of the Cap.
The reason I say not to draft an offensive lineman is because of the depth & draft picks from McSneads past. Kromer was a big part of it as well & have only kept 8 lineman after cuts.
Jamil Demby is coming into his 3rd season now.same Allen & Noteboom who were all 2018 picks.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think with Goff as young as he is, bringing Bortles back would be a good fit. Or someone like that.

We need a starter-vet type, that’s juuust not quite an every game starter. Someone that can win a game or two to keep a playoff run going.

Bortles type.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think with Goff as young as he is, bringing Bortles back would be a good fit. Or someone like that.

We need a starter-vet type, that’s juuust not quite an every game starter. Someone that can win a game or two to keep a playoff run going.

Bortles type.

John Wolford is a better QB than Bortles it seems ? At least in preseason. I’d like to see if The Rams can get a solid QB in 2020 draft. It’s been since Mannion

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Bortles is waiting for the Rams to sign Fournette. Then him, Ramsey and Fournette will form a cabal and overthrow Goff at QB..

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Would anyone be mad to take Montez if he lasts until the 7th to backup the Wolf?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just dont see the value in drafting a QB unless the Rams
a) carry 3 QB- (hope not)
b) draft a kid who can step instantly in to the #2 spot-
I dont see where a 6th or 7th rounder can be THAT guy to come in and win the #2 job
If you are drafting a QB to be a multi year backup, I think he's got to be in the 2nd-4th round range who has serious starter potential.
Otherwise, QB fodder for the practice squad and the cheapest vet you find to run the #2's

As for Bortles, he may as well wait it out. Ultimately take a low ball deal when waiting for an injury to a starter doesnt pan out

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I dont think there are many calls going to Bortles agent about being a starting qb. I'd also rather not spend a pick on a back up when we have a proven starter who has gone deep on the playoffs on our roster behind Goff. Makes zero sense if he will sign for cheap.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
John Wolford is a better QB than Bortles it seems ?

I’d say more data exists to suggest Bortles could keep a playoff run going a few games for us.

Wolford has shown some interesting things in preseason, but has no NFL track record.

This team seems to need the track record, more than the developmental type. Unless we don’t see ourselves as a playoff team.

If we were rebuilding, or Goff older... then I’d start messing with younger QB’s.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’d say more data exists to suggest Bortles could keep a playoff run going a few games for us.

Wolford has shown some interesting things in preseason, but has no NFL track record.

This team seems to need the track record, more than the developmental type. Unless we don’t see ourselves as a playoff team.

If we were rebuilding, or Goff older... then I’d start messing with younger QB’s.

You could’ve said that about Kurt Warner, or Bulger who took over for Bulger.

I thought Bortles was a nice pickup last season. Now I think his price will go up ? Depends cost ?

At what point should The Rams develope a young QB ? NE showed the value of drafting young QB’s

Again when do you see The Rams under McSnead not being a playoff team. I thought this season was fun watching the young Offensive line. I think they will develop more than most think by far.
Will see how this weekend goes. If OTA’s were not shut down, we would have had a little better idea already.

Go Rams !!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You could’ve said that about Kurt Warner, or Bulger who took over for Bulger.

I thought Bortles was a nice pickup last season. Now I think his price will go up ? Depends cost ?

At what point should The Rams develope a young QB ? NE showed the value of drafting young QB’s

Again when do you see The Rams under McSnead not being a playoff team. I thought this season was fun watching the young Offensive line. I think they will develop more than most think by far.
Will see how this weekend goes. If OTA’s were not shut down, we would have had a little better idea already.

Go Rams !!!

I have no problem with Wolford, or UDFA, 6th rounder for 3rd QB.

With Goff’s age... no real reason to invest in his successor. Sort of like that 3rd rounder for Mannion years back... could use that investment on a player that contributes now.

I am also of strong opinion a playoff team needs more certainty at #2 than Wolford offers. But, the coaches know most about his readiness.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I just dont see the value in drafting a QB unless the Rams
a) carry 3 QB- (hope not)
b) draft a kid who can step instantly in to the #2 spot-
I dont see where a 6th or 7th rounder can be THAT guy to come in and win the #2 job
If you are drafting a QB to be a multi year backup, I think he's got to be in the 2nd-4th round range who has serious starter potential.
Otherwise, QB fodder for the practice squad and the cheapest vet you find to run the #2's

As for Bortles, he may as well wait it out. Ultimately take a low ball deal when waiting for an injury to a starter doesnt pan out

I’m curious on what The Rams do. Like CGI says He has trust in the coaches. Mcvay says he hasn’t been looking at QB’s.. Wondering if it is just that time of season ??
Made a wager last year The Rams would not pick up a QB during the draft. This draft I think there is a chance,because of the open spot. That always says a lot to me. Just like a RB will be like the top(‘s) postition spot in 2020. Made a play this year The Rams won’t draft a Offensive Lineman. Now with the extra pick I’ll a little more curious, but don’t see a Center being one of them.