Antonio Brown presents many problems for Rams/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Antonio Brown presents many problems for Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...antonio-brown-presents-many-problems-for-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams have no misconceptions about what Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown can and will do when they meet on Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

Ask any Rams defender and they'll admit Brown is going to make some catches and gain some yards. That's pretty much a given considering Brown's vast skills. But the key isn't about shutting Brown out so much as it is preventing him from making the type of game-changing plays that have become his hallmark.

"Exactly," safety Rodney McLeod said. "You know a guy like that is going to make some plays but you just challenge him, make everything hard for him and just try to frustrate him. Obviously he’s going to make some catches but just don’t make them explosive plays that can change the game."

On paper, the pairing of the Rams secondary versus Brown is a major mismatch. Brown has at least five receptions and 50 yards in an NFL record 34 straight games. For perspective, Denver's Demaryius Thomas is next with five such games.

While the Rams are a respectable 10th in the league in passing yards allowed in the first two weeks, that number is deceiving considering they rank 30th in run defense and 31st in completion percentage allowed (80.9 percent). Easy completions have been an issue for the Rams under coach Jeff Fisher, too, as they finished 31st in 2014 (68.1 percent), 32nd in 2013 (68.1 percent) and 30th in 2012 (66.2 percent).

Obviously, the current rate of almost 81 percent won't continue, but it has been clear that the Rams defense is willing to give up completions and try to make quick tackles to limit yards after the catch. That might be a dangerous approach against Brown, who since 2013 is seventh in the NFL in yards after catch with 336.

"He’s a dynamic receiver," McLeod said. "He can pretty much do it all. Deep threat, they throw him a lot of screens. You know he’s going to be targeted a lot and obviously we have some work on our hands. We’re up for the challenge."

One way to limit Brown's production? Well, a strong pass rush would be a good idea but the Steelers use Brown in so many ways that it can be hard to keep him from shaking loose. Having a quarterback such as Ben Roethlisberger, running backs DeAngelo Williams and Le'Veon Bell and tight end Heath Miller around him doesn't hurt, either.

“He has a great complement around him," Fisher said. "When you’ve got a run game, you’ve got a quarterback that’s experienced and can see and make the throws down the field, they work really well together. He can really run. They’re in sync. Rarely is there a throw where they’re not on the same page. They back-shoulder fade, he catches the deep ball, he catches the shallow cross, he catches the bubble screens. He’s just a really good player. You have to know where he’s at.”

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This matchup scares the bejeezus out of me. I just do not see how the Rams win this game. I may have thought that about the Denver game last year however.....can't remember. This team has a way of making you scratch your head....and your eyes out.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I am OK with Brown getting his. As long as the Rams win. I have Brown in my fantasy league and need him to kick some butt.

Rainram

Starter
Step 1: Stop the running game. Please. Stop their run game.
Step 2: Pressure Ben. Need turnovers.
Step 3: Limit their big plays. Keep them out of the End Zone. Holding them to Field Goals will help.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You know what to do, McLeod.

mcleod.gif

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
giphy.gif

This guy brings as much disruption as A. Brown. WATCH ABOVE PLEASE!!!!!!NO INJURIES!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Gurley says he could run a 4.3 before the injury. He is damn fast...I don't expect to see much of him for a few weeks tho. We need to double Brown all fucking day. Let's hope our Dline does what it does and get to Ben before he can hit Brown deep

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams hope to avoid Brown-out
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8c88b1dc-e229-580a-8334-05255ddfc518.html

No offense to the Calvin Johnsons, A.J. Greens, Odell Beckham Jr.’s, or Julio Joneses of the NFL world. And we’ll throw Dez Bryant in the hopper as well, even though he’s currently out due to injury.

But the best thing going among wide receivers these days — hands down — played his college ball at Central Michigan and was a sixth-round draft pick.

That would be Antonio Brown — 5-10, 181 pounds — and almost impossible to cover. The best wide receiver in the National Football League.

“Right now, for sure,” Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson said. “The last two weeks, he’s beaten everybody. Even last year he was a good receiver, had good numbers.”

Actually, great numbers. Brown caught 129 passes in 2014, the second-highest single-season total in league history. Those catches were good for 1,698 yards, the fifth-highest total in league history. He was no slouch in 2013, either, with 110 catches for 1,499 yards.

And now, just two games into 2015, the 27-year-old Brown seems intent on putting together his third consecutive monster season. Entering Sunday’s game with the Rams at the Edward Jones Dome, Brown has 18 catches for a league-leading 328 yards and two touchdowns. Only three other players in the entire NFL have more than even 200 yards receiving so far this season.

So yes, Brown is in a league of his own.

“He’s killing the league right now,” Johnson said. “So we’ve got our work cut out for us.”

The Rams usually have Janoris Jenkins at right cornerback and Johnson at left cornerback in their secondary. Occasionally over the years, Jenkins will shadow a team’s top wideout — straying from the right corner, left corner concept to follow him all over the field.

But nothing seems to be working against Brown these days. Last week, San Francisco tried press coverage, putting a corner in his face at the line of scrimmage and trying to make it difficult for him to get into his routes. They gave safety help whenever possible.

The result? Nine catches, 195 yards, one touchdown (plus a 2-point conversion reception). Included in Brown’s haul were grabs of 57 and 59 yards.

If you provide safety help, that safety better take a good angle to the ball. On Brown’s fourth catch of the day against San Francisco — on Pittsburgh’s third possession — he beat press coverage off the line and then ran right by the safety help on a “go” route for a 59-yard gain to the 49ers’ 2-yard line.

“The dude can run,” Rams safety T.J. McDonald said. “They line him up all over the field. He can blow the top off (defenses). This team has more explosive passes than any team we’ve faced in the past.

“Big Ben (Roethlisberger) does a great job as far as looking safeties off and being able to get him the ball in different spots. Double moves outside, and all that stuff.”

As McDonald mentioned, Brown is no one-trick pony. Yes, he’s fast but there are faster receivers in the NFL. But he’s also quick and elusive, and his separation skills are second to none. Despite his modest size, he’s adept at catching the ball in tight coverage.

In all of those ways, his skill set makes him a current-day version of Isaac Bruce, the former Rams great. (He might be a little faster than Bruce.) Otherwise, there’s no one really similar to him in the game right now.

“He runs every route,” Johnson said. “Deep, short. Tough guy.”

Those route-running skills were on full display against the 49ers. Brown caught a couple of passes on wide receiver screens, those quick throws to the perimeter. Both of his 50-yard plus catches came on simple “go” routes. He had a catch on a comeback route in deep coverage. A catch over the middle.

His touchdown reception came on a short corner route when 49ers corner Kenneth Acker got caught looking in the backfield and Brown got behind him.

You don’t run all those different styles of routes without having great rapport with the quarterback, and such is the case between Brown and Roethlisberger.

“They work really well together,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “They’re in sync. Rarely is there a throw where they’re not on the same page. They back-shoulder fade. He catches the deep ball, he catches the bubble screens. He’s just a really good player. You’ve gotta know where he’s at.”

There was a point when Roethlisberger and his Steelers teammates were in awe at some of the things they saw Brown do on the practice field or in games. But they’re well past that point these days.

“We’ve learned that anything he does, it doesn’t surprise us anymore because he puts in so much work and time and effort into wanting to be the best that it’s paying off for him,” Roethlisberger said.

One of the byproducts of all that time and effort is ultra consistency. Brown has had 34 consecutive games of at least five catches for 50 yards, an NFL record. He’s had 13 straight games with at least seven catches, another league record.

So this will be a huge challenge for the 3Js, the Rams’ top three cornerbacks: Jenkins, Johnson, and Lamarcus Joyner. It could be a statement game for Jenkins in particular but also Johnson. They both are scheduled for unrestricted free agency after this season.

It’s enough to give any cornerback nightmares, right?

“C’mon now,” Johnson said laughing. “Gotta love the challenge. It’s a competitive business. We’re going against the No. 1 receiver right now coming into Week 3, so it’s gonna be fun.”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'd be ecstatic if the rams held him to 5 catches for 50 yards.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
If I am Pit I try to negate the Rams rush with lots of screens and quick dumps (ala KC last year), with Bell and Brown you can expect to get some big yards after the catch, and the Rams defense has shown some weakness to misdirection the last few years. Miller is a great TE for this game, he blocks really well to give you extra protection, but with so much focus on Bell and brown I expect him to sneak out of the backfield a few times to hurt us.

This game screams nightmare matchup for Rams...this PIT team can both run and pass and has many options. The Rams need to not only be up for this game but VERY disciplined in coverage or else they will get burned. They are capable of playing well against PIT but need to bring the A game!

Athos

Legend
Nonsense. He will get less than 80 yds against one of NFL best defenses.

Wishful thinking, bruh.

Only way that happens is if our offense is on the field a lot.

Brown will get his 100+ yards. We just have to keep him out of the EZ.....or we'll get burned hard.

If I am Pit I try to negate the Rams rush with lots of screens and quick dumps (ala KC last year), with Bell and Brown you can expect to get some big yards after the catch

Yep. They have an elite pass catching RB. And an elite WR with burst and acceleration. They're going to pound us hard in the run game with Bell and Williams, then hit quick slants and screens to Brown until or if we even adjust. Then they'll go deep. Expect a bunch of check downs with Bell too to negate our rush. The LBs will be exploited heavily in this game. Bank on it.

Folks....stop viewing this as an easy game for the D. Steelers have, probably easily, the 2nd best offense we'll face all season long......and even worse for a D that gets off to sluggish starts, we'll be seeing 2 of the top 5 offenses, imo, in the 1st 5 weeks with Pitt and GB.

Psycho_X

Legend

i'd be ecstatic if the rams held him to 5 catches for 50 yards.

I'll be ecstatic if we hold him to 100 yards lol. He is going to get the football and he will put up stats. The key to the game will be to stopping the run and getting to Big Ben the times Brown isn't catching the ball. And our offense acting like it belongs in the NFL again will help.

fearsomefour

Legend
Even if the Rams lose to the Steelers and Packers and can beat the Cardinals it still put them at a manageable 2-3 spot heading into the bye. With four winnable games in a row after that they still have a shot. My hope was for 2-3 heading into the break, that has not changed. As we all know the Rams could pull an upset here and come in 3-2.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Wishful thinking, bruh.

Only way that happens is if our offense is on the field a lot.

Brown will get his 100+ yards. We just have to keep him out of the EZ.....or we'll get burned hard.

The killer with Brown is that he is so good after the catch. If our defense breaks coverage (and with Bell out there it may happen) he could get 50yrds on a single catch. Brown is NOT the sort I think the D should go for the homerun on- interception/huge hit on- because if you miss you are going to get burned big time. Trust me he is use to D's trying to get to him physically, unlike some of the Denver receivers I do not think that works on him.

Athos

Legend
The killer with Brown is that he is so good after the catch. If our defense breaks coverage (and with Bell out there it may happen) he could get 50yrds on a single catch. Brown is NOT the sort I think the D should go for the homerun on- interception/huge hit on- because if you miss you are going to get burned big time. Trust me he is use to D's trying to get to him physically, unlike some of the Denver receivers I do not think that works on him.

Yep. The DBs HAVE to keep Brown in front of them. If they get turned around on him, it's game over. He's gonna waltz into the EZ in JJ is trying to go for the big play. You gotta limit Brown to short gains and wrap up. You try and go for the strip, he'll wiggle out and roast you.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This game is for all the Jenoris Jenkins haters...You will see why he is our best DB...I anticipate Jenkins putting the shutdown on A Brown.....He's a perfect matchup...

And I'm hoping a certain Rams receiver watches the jitterbug moves he uses to get open....

Athos

Legend
This game is for all the Jenoris Jenkins haters...You will see why he is our best DB...I anticipate Jenkins putting the shutdown on A Brown.....He's a perfect matchup...

And I'm hoping a certain Rams receiver watches the jitterbug moves he uses to get open....

This should go in the ballsy prediction thread.