Another test of Goodell's Leadership?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Big Unit

UDFA
Good news about Chris Borland retiring; though I'd be frustrated if he was a Ram, not a 49er.

We're fans, and something like this doesn't change that. Nor does domestic violence; or Adrian Peterson; or any of the other "outside influences" impacting the game.

But the NFL is trying to grow the brand; it's already got us. Thus the emphasis on female fans; on yearly games in London; on putting a franchise or franchises in LA. In my opinion, the Borland retirement - a 24-year-old third round pick on a high profile team - is yet another hit on the NFL's persona; it's "good will" in the marketplace.

In my opinion, these "attacks" on the shield bode well for St. Louis keeping an NFL presence. The commissioner HAS to fix LA; delays have resulted in three "lame duck" franchises; in St. Louis; in San Diego; and in Oakland. And there's no way that 4 franchises in California; none in St. Louis; makes sense. Heading for LA and leaving St. Louis bare looks like a pure money grab; it breaks the implicit contract between the NFL and its fans. That's NOT something other NFL owners would look at lightly, in my opinion.

Sure, NFL franchises make money; but the big value in the franchises is the growth in value, from when a franchise is purchased, to when it is sold. In my opinion, that's why Stan Kroenke is motivated to buy land in Inglewood; nothing else. An LA franchise - particularly if Kroenke keeps the merchandise rights as Jerry Jones has done in Dallas - is far more valuable than a franchise in St. Louis. It's a money grab, pure and simple; but at the same time, it denigrates the shield; breaks the bond between franchises and the cities who bleed for them. I don't see how NFL owners can permit that to happen; the value of their franchises is too tied up in good will they've garnered in their communities.

I don't know what the best solution is; permitting Kroenke to purchase the Broncos, and reconcile his NFL franchise with his other teams? permitting a trade of franchises? prohibiting Kroenke's move? I don't know. But it's time for Roger Goodell to set the agenda; to lead the owners to some decision that protects the NFL, as well as the individual franchises jockeying for a place in LA. I think such a decision also protects the NFL in St. Louis; anything else would unnecessarily diminish the brand.

Just my opinion. And any new development - even a 24-year-old retiring for health concerns - makes leadership in the LA situation that much more important.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
that's the point of a move if the NFL wants one. they are only willing to move a hot or up and coming team to LA. so if the Rams make a deep playoff run or at least look much more promising then it only increases the chances the Rams go and one of those others possibly moves out