Another reason why a RB may never see a big contract again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Never ever give a RB more than a 3 year contract after the first contract

I don't care how good they are.

After 7 years, they are usually done

Very rarely do you get an AP or Gore

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
McCaffrey single-handedly trying to wreck my season in two FF leagues. Will for sure be the end of me in one (now Henry, McCaffrey and AJ Brown all on IR) and back to juggling things in the other.

Just beat the #1 team so we are tied at the top heading toward the playoffs. Survived the games he missed earlier (3-2) but sweated it every week.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Is their own fault. When he came back this year they gave him what seemed like a full workload. They drafted another good back in Hubbard. Share the load so cmac can stay healthy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was thinking of starting a topic on this subject; Injuries

The NFL is a brutal league. The team standing at the end, isn’t the same team that started.

Athletes are like high performance engines these days… and we see more fireworks on game day and unbelievable plays as result.

But… the data shows we are also getting more breakdowns.

It’s hard to make it through 16 games, let alone adding a 17th, and 18th.

This chart blows my mind. No 2021 data yet.

8CE0415A-D28F-4107-98A0-C40DD6B8F77A.png

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311

The NFL is a brutal league. The team standing at the end, isn’t the same team that started.

Athletes are like high performance engines these days… and we see more fireworks on game day and unbelievable plays as result.

View attachment 50001

madrid311

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
Go for it! Love your view on it. I have a few thoughts about Injuries and the speed of the game.

Psycho_X

Legend

View attachment 50001
That's brutal and thanks for the chart. Had been curious about that lately. Just adds to the dumb decision of adding a 17th game to the schedule. But I really don't think most of the owners truly care about it... at least not compared to the $$ they get annually. It's really unfortunate.

The NFL season is three parts. The first part is get as many playmakers as you can to get to the playoffs. The second is get as much depth as possible to out depth the teams that make it to the playoffs. Third is praying your injuries are spread out among position groups to not have a huge weakness and that your starting QB isn't one of them.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
RBs take way too much punishment to rely on a bell cow. You need depth. Derek Henry, Dalvin Cook, McCaffery, David Montgomery, Gus Edwards, Elijah Mitchell, Chris Carson Edwards-Elaire, Aaron Jones, Zeke playing injured all year, Barkley... has any starting RB not gotten injured this year? Taylor and Harris are holding up but, unsurprisingly, are a rookie and sophomore. No tread on those tires. You need depth. If feasible, I'd keep all of Akers, Hendo, and Michel next year. I'd also look into drafting a RB but we have such little draft capital it might be wise to use it elsewhere, as we haven't seen what Funk and Xavier can do (surprise! injuries!).

Tano

Legend
RBs take way too much punishment to rely on a bell cow. You need depth. Derek Henry, Dalvin Cook, McCaffery, David Montgomery, Gus Edwards, Elijah Mitchell, Chris Carson Edwards-Elaire, Aaron Jones, Zeke playing injured all year, Barkley... has any starting RB not gotten injured this year? Taylor and Harris are holding up but, unsurprisingly, are a rookie and sophomore. No tread on those tires. You need depth. If feasible, I'd keep all of Akers, Hendo, and Michel next year. I'd also look into drafting a RB but we have such little draft capital it might be wise to use it elsewhere, as we haven't seen what Funk and Xavier can do (surprise! injuries!).
We still have 8 picks. They are just low picks

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
McCaffrey single-handedly trying to wreck my season in two FF leagues. Will for sure be the end of me in one (now Henry, McCaffrey and AJ Brown all on IR) and back to juggling things in the other.

Just beat the #1 team so we are tied at the top heading toward the playoffs. Survived the games he missed earlier (3-2) but sweated it every week.
I took CMC #1 against my better judgement, in all fairness though I would have taken Henry so either way I was in trouble.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If I had a talented kid playing high school football I'd strongly encourage him not to be a running back. If he was that good that the NFL is a possibility, odds are he won't last till 30. Todd Gurley is 27 and unemployed. Leveon Bell is 29 and no team. I hope the Rams learn by their mistake with Gurley and never give a RB that kind of contract again.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's brutal and thanks for the chart. Had been curious about that lately. Just adds to the dumb decision of adding a 17th game to the schedule. But I really don't think most of the owners truly care about it... at least not compared to the $$ they get annually. It's really unfortunate.

The NFL season is three parts. The first part is get as many playmakers as you can to get to the playoffs. The second is get as much depth as possible to out depth the teams that make it to the playoffs. Third is praying your injuries are spread out among position groups to not have a huge weakness and that your starting QB isn't one of them.

I was thinking… one strategy might be…

Build a “good player” roster, with no/few star players (need a QB).

Get as many good players as you can afford to collect via draft and FA… but shop that 75% market. Troy Hill and Darious Williams tier… get as many of these types…

When you hit in the draft, trade that player for more good players or picks as he nears the big payday. Goal is lots of good players, not paying one guy too much so you can afford the 75% FA market.

By end of the season, you stand a chance to have a very good team left standing.

You might not be dominating early in the year, so your route might be Wild Card, but by end of year you have more good players than the other guy.

I dunno. Interesting to think about…

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Draft one every couple years seems like the way to go. They are still critical as ever and make enormous impacts. But yeah don't pay them.

Psycho_X

Legend
I was thinking… one strategy might be…

Build a “good player” roster, with no/few star players (need a QB).

Get as many good players as you can afford to collect via draft and FA… but shop that 75% market. Troy Hill and Darious Williams tier… get as many of these types…

When you hit in the draft, trade that player for more good players or picks as he nears the big payday. Goal is lots of good players, not paying one guy too much so you can afford the 75% FA market.

By end of the season, you stand a chance to have a very good team left standing.

You might not be dominating early in the year, so your route might be Wild Card, but by end of year you have more good players than the other guy.

I dunno. Interesting to think about…
I think that's ultimately the key to the Patriots formula. They spend money on glaring holes but for the most part they flip the bird to most of their star free agents when it comes contract time with the exception of a few but even then they low ball them compared to open market.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I really struggle with this, because a franchise RB can take an offense to a whole different level. The GSOT is not the GSOT without Marshall Faulk, and he was worth every penny of the big contracts he got and then some. The Rams for much of the 1980's had lousy QBs and JAG WRs (at best) but also had Eric Dickerson and were a playoff team because of it. And the Rams offense with a healthy Gurley just a few short years ago was incredibly dynamic, and if he doesn't get hurt, things around here would be a lot different right now.

I get the risk of giving these guys a big contract, but on the flip side, the benefit of a franchise RB can never be overstated, so sometimes you just have to take the risk.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

View attachment 50001
I wonder how much money comes into play with these injuries. It’s certainly not like 30 or 40 years ago when guys cut off finger tips and played with broken legs.

madrid311

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
If I had a talented kid playing high school football I'd strongly encourage him not to be a running back. If he was that good that the NFL is a possibility, odds are he won't last till 30. Todd Gurley is 27 and unemployed. Leveon Bell is 29 and no team. I hope the Rams learn by their mistake with Gurley and never give a RB that kind of contract again.
I would try field goals. They always need good ones