Andrew Whitworth: "You've seen what we talked about last year has come to fruition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Andrew Whitworth: "You've seen what we talked about last year has come to fruition

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The Rams' run game is back, which in turn is helping the passing attack and opening up the entire offense as a whole.

For any of that to happen, though, it requires a strong effort up front. Coincidentally, early returns on the 2020 version of Los Angeles' offensive line are promising.

"You've seen what we talked about last year has come to fruition," Andrew Whitworth, the most experienced member of the group, told reporters during a video conference Friday afternoon.

There's proof in both traditional statistics and advanced analytics.

Statistically, the Rams are fifth in the NFL in total offense – ninth in passing and third in rushing.

From an analytics standpoint, the 38-year-old Whitworth's 97 percent pass block win rate is good for sixth among all offensive tackles in the league, according to ESPN. As a team, the Rams have the seventh-best run block win rate, helped by two of those young players who gained experience last year: Austin Corbett, whose 77 percent run block win rate is fourth-highest among all NFL offensive guards, and Austin Blythe, whose 73 percent run block win rate is sixth among centers.

Amid all the injuries the Rams' offensive line endured last year, Corbett and Blythe were bright spots. Blythe started at right guard, moved to left, then took over for Brian Allen at center after Allen's season-ending knee injury in Week 10. That shuffling led to Corbett plugging the hole at left guard, and he showed enough there to retain a starting role, though at right guard instead. Blythe also retained his starting job at center.

"I mean, a lot of these guys that we believed in that were young, just had no experience, and you get out there and play in real games and get a little bit of trial by fire, and get out there and experience things, it started to come together the last part of the season last year," Whitworth said. "The play got better and better."

Whitworth sees that same toughness and physicality in second-year pro Edwards, who is now stepping in for Joe Noteboom (calf) following Noteboom's placement on injured reserve. Like Corbett and Blythe, Edwards gained valuable experience as a rookie last year (six starts in 10 games) and is well-positioned to step into a starting role.

"Dave, that's how he's wired," Whitworth said. "He'll fit right in because that's the style of football he's used to playing at Wisconsin, that's kind of the player he's been when he's stepped in for us, because that's really the style he plays and what he's best at. I expect him to step in and do well."

Sunday presents perhaps the biggest challenge to date for Los Angeles' offensive line, going up against a Buffalo defensive line that has contributed to the NFL's No. 3 run defense and No. 5 total defense.

Pass this test, and it only further solidifies the progress that has been made.

"They really have," McVay said, when asked how well the offensive line has been doing in the run game and limiting sacks through the first two weeks. "They've done an excellent job."

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I know that OL is a passionate topic on this board, and for very good reason. The offense goes as far as the OL allows it. Very encouraged by the early returns from this group. Loved the Corbett trade and feeling really good about this group of young men on our OL.... Whitworth is pretty good also.... :)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They're gettin it done. And I agree and hope that Edwards gives them a boost as well. Would be nice timing facing Buffalo.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I'm excited to see how our line does with Edwards tomorrow. Might be a game-changer.

Yea me too, I think Edwards is just a better guard so very interested to see how we perform against their good front. If we continue to roll on offense the way we have been then we should be able to beat anyone this year. When A'shawn and T Lewis come back the D will take another step too.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Whit is a Gosh Darn Freek, Period.......He's breaking history......

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It all starts up front with Big Whit

it starts with Austin Blythe CENTERING
The BALL & goes from there .

If you go back & listen to Big Whit from last season he will tell you lossing John Sullivan was key.

Roger Saffold left & The Rams has Zero experience upfront. Austin Blythe playing out of position which should have been addressed whenever.
—The drafting of Brian Allen was the COVID of 2019. How you give a guy a starting spot without earning it.

You & me go back with The Offensive Line. I lost that Williams or whoever he was bet.My point then was Demby was not ready & couldn’t be counted on. He got cut & went to Detroit,so I call that a wash because Kromer went with a short bench.

Yes Andrew HOF Whitworth is The Best. What he has meant to his Younger Bro Sean Mcvay makes wonders.

Havienstien is still weak of the edge,but is in shape.He is an excellent run blocker & Henderson is using the cut back to the right well.
My thought before watching the game & knowing Notebooms injury was Edwards would switch to the RG spot. -That makes no sense & The Rams offensive line took off once Akers & Noteboom got hurt.
Henderson & Edwards really took off.
-Big Whitworth had a few mistakes. He is still going to improve 2020. Nick Bosa is out, so 2 less big time games. I loved his last game of 2019 against Arizona.He got beat,but his passion was great. A couple CHEAP holding Calls & he was after the Ref. I knew he was coming back to The Rams then for sure.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Whit is a Gosh Darn Freek, Period.......He's breaking history......

Jackie Slater !! Actually he is playing at a higher level for his age.

What Big Whitworth has done off the Field is Very Impressive as well.

Don’t forget Jared Goff is a stud & a winner.Ask Roger Saffold if he was wrong 2016

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Big Whitworth had a few mistakes. He is still going to improve in 2020. Nick Bosa is out, so 2 less big-time games. I loved his last game of 2019 against Arizona. He got beat, but his passion was great. A couple CHEAP holding Calls & he was after the Ref. I knew he was coming back to The Rams then for sure.
Whitworth was dealing with a couple of nagging injuries.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Proud of the gargantuans in the trenches. Time for the big dogs to eat again. On the menu is Buffalo!!!!!