Andrew Whitworth planned to retire as a Bengal even after joining Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Andrew Whitworth planned to retire as a Bengal even after joining Rams

Cameron DaSilva

Andrew Whitworth put off retirement for at least one more year this offseason when he signed a three-year extension with the Rams back in March. The length of the deal was surprising, but Whitworth can still retire when he wants, whether it’s after the 2020 season or at the end of his contract.

When Whitworth does eventually retire, he’ll have to decide which team to go out as a member of. He spent more than a decade with the Bengals, but his tenure with the Rams has been quite successful with an All-Pro selection, Super Bowl appearance and the first playoff win of his career.

Full Article--
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Love Whit and what he did for this franchise, it was because of Andrew Whitworth that the McVay era got off to such a successful start both inside & outside the locker room.....That being posted, IMO, I felt the Rams might have been better off, going after Trent Williams instead. Now they would have had to trade draft capital, but Williams 31, would have been a long term answer at LT, similar to what San Francisco did with the retirement of Joe Thomas.

Now maybe the Trent Williams saga was still up in the air at the time and the Rams did not want to give up a sure thing for a possibility and at the time of the Whitworth signing the Redskins were still undecided, but IMO, I would have been pleased with that transition at LT.

Now the hope will be one more year out of Whitworth or maybe a couple of months and then they transition to Joe Noteboom, who IMO, will be a much better LT then Guard and I sure hope Noteboom has fully recovered from his injury.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good for him and I see nothing wrong with that desire.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well let's see how his time here looks after he hangs 'em up. Who knows maybe he gets that Championship with us and that changes things.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never really understood the whole allure of the "1 day contract, retire as a:__________"
Doesnt change where somebody played. Kurt was a Ram regardless of who he retired with, doesnt change that Ike left the Rams for the 49ers or that Dickerson got traded to the Colts, I only think of them wearing Horns
Either way, talking about what team a guy is going to retire with shouldnt be discussed until his career is over, seems to be bad mojo if you ask me

bluecoconuts

Legend
That headline makes no sense, Whitworth literally said that was the intention before, but when he retires now he’ll make that decision then.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he did, but it doesn’t look like he is 100% doing it... At least according to the quote they put in the article.

oldnotdead

Legend
I don't care who he retires as. But I would love for him to return as an o-line coach. He already has been mentoring the young guys and he has a wealth of experience to share and pass on.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think there should be a federal law that says you have to retire as a player with the team who took you to the Super Bowl.

For realz.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Pretty sure that you don’t choose a team for PFHOF enshrinement like a baseball cap for Cooperstown

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Now maybe the Trent Williams saga was still up in the air at the time and the Rams did not want to give up a sure thing for a possibility and at the time of the Whitworth signing the Redskins were still undecided, but IMO, I would have been pleased with that transition at LT.

I wasn't hot on making a deal for Trent, but I hate where he ended up.:mad:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Doesn’t matter because you don’t go in with a team. It’s a ceremony on top of a ceremony

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Love Whit and what he did for this franchise, it was because of Andrew Whitworth that the McVay era got off to such a successful start both inside & outside the locker room.....That being posted, IMO, I felt the Rams might have been better off, going after Trent Williams instead. Now they would have had to trade draft capital, but Williams 31, would have been a long term answer at LT, similar to what San Francisco did with the retirement of Joe Thomas.

Now the hope will be one more year out of Whitworth or maybe a couple of months and then they transition to Joe Noteboom, who IMO, will be a much better LT then Guard and I sure hope Noteboom has fully recovered from his injury.

not just one more thing; the Niners took a risk. I hope it doesn't pay off (no offense to Trent)

I'm a bigger fan of Whitworth personally. :)

The hell with the past!

Steven Jackson was great. I wanted the Rams to get him a real Oline in the worst way. He continually made his own holes. Those were miserable times but AN will always be one of my favorites.