Andrew Whitworth in 2006 Would Have Changed Rams History

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In a discussion elsewhere about the disaster that was Tye Hill pick, and even worse mistake happenned a couple of rounds later in 2006. We picked a TE named Joe Klopfenstein several picks before the Bengals. The Bengals picked our current LT, Andrew Whitworth.

In 2006, we had a brand new HC Scott Linehan and staff and the team went 8-8 in his first year. We had a 2nd year, 1st round pick from the 2005 NFL Draft named Alex Barron. Barron's measurables at the combine were insanely good, but the dude fancied himself a basketball player instead of a star LT in the National Football League. He took the money to play a sport he didn't care that much about, so sad for us. Marc Bulger had his last good year as an NFL QB and passed for 4301 yards in 2006.

Marc Bulger was in the process of his name becoming a verb. We all know what getting Bulgerized means, because it had started. SJAX had run for 1500 yards and was a monster that year. Orlando Pace was our all star LT, but he was in decline. Andrew Whitworth was the answer back then and could have played RT until Big O's departure, as they attempted with Alex Barron. Big O played one game in 2007 and the Rams record went fron 8-8 in 2006 to 3-13 in 2007 due in large part to Orlando Pace's absence

In the disaster that was the 2007 season, Big O played one game and Bulger had no one to protect his blind side. Whitworth would have taken the place of an aging Orlando Pace and the Rams destiny would have been different as far as future records, coaching changes and future QB selections.

Joe Klopfenstein...*smh

Tano

Legend
And then they took another crappy TE in the 4th round that same year.

I think 2006 was the worst draft in the history of the Rams

Every one was a bust

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That’s a good one @Loyal

You know the biggest “what if” I can recall...

We probably should have had the #1 pick in 2012 (drafting Andrew Luck)... I think it was a strength of schedule thing, caused by a missed extra point week 17. Anyone recall this?

What if the franchise drafted Luck?

Wrap your head around that.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Someone needs to lock this thread, I don't want to be reminded how bad we were.

IF we are going to live in the past, let's live in 99-2001, haha.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Someone needs to lock this thread, I don't want to be reminded how bad we were.

IF we are going to live in the past, let's live in 99-2001, haha.
8-8 was the best record until McVay's first year. That 8-8 BS was better than Fish ever did. Right Fish?
LYQzE0Z.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I did the thread because we see how good Whit has been with us at the end of his career. Think if he had always been a Ram? He'd be as beloved as Jackie Slater

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The only players still on a team from the 2006 draft are Andrew Whitworth, Stephen Gostkowski and Sam Koch.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Nope. Nope. Nope.

I wouldn't change ANY of the pass.

Any of those guys come and maybe we are stuck with Linehan longer or Spags longer or Fisher longer... and just NOPE.

I think we're set up to be very good for DECADES.

i think we'll bitch and moan over 9-7 seasons as disappointments and needs for "big changes".

Every misstep brought us to this point and I like it here... so I wouldn't change a thing.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nope. Nope. Nope.

I wouldn't change ANY of the pass.

Any of those guys come and maybe we are stuck with Linehan longer or Spags longer or Fisher longer... and just NOPE.

I think we're set up to be very good for DECADES.

i think we'll bitch and moan over 9-7 seasons as disappointments and needs for "big changes".

Every misstep brought us to this point and I like it here... so I wouldn't change a thing.
I alwsys hated Whit back in the day! ~ Mack

Zodi

Hall of Fame
And then they took another crappy TE in the 4th round that same year.

I think 2006 was the worst draft in the history of the Rams

Every one was a bust

Five years prior, we had THREE first round picks. Damione Lewis, Adam Archuleta and Ryan Pickett.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At least Adam Archuleta was a decent pick

And those guys were instrumental in helping the defense to be turned around from historically bad to 3rd in the NFL. Obviously it wasn't just them, Aeneas was the main reason - but while those three picks mostly didn't pan out, at least it helped get us a Super Bowl berth, and obviously in that Super Bowl our defense played well, only allowing 13 points (and really less, because their TD came off another turnover I believe).

Tano

Legend
That’s a good one @Loyal

You know the biggest “what if” I can recall...

We probably should have had the #1 pick in 2012 (drafting Andrew Luck)... I think it was a strength of schedule thing, caused by a missed extra point week 17. Anyone recall this?

What if the franchise drafted Luck?

Wrap your head around that.
We had Bradshaw. Would Fisher have drafted luck and traded Bradshaw? Maybe.