Andrew Whitworth excited to be back in 2021

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Good. One less thing to worry about in the offseason. Shouts to Wayne Gretzky for planting that seed in his mind. "Play until they rip the Jersey Off your back".

Who knows, maybe he will play 3 more years for us during our coming threepeat. :horns:

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Get that man some stem cells and a hyperbaric oxygen chamber!

Long live Whitworth!

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I usually get really bored and want to hit the stop button when the sports interviewers get off subject and chummy with the "how's your golf game" bit, but this is interesting in that he says it keeps him in some sorta shape and not just sitting around the house. Being active is very important when you get up there in age and it's good to know that Whit is ready for another year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I usually get really bored and want to hit the stop button when the sports interviewers get off subject and chummy with the "how's your golf game" bit, but this is interesting in that he says it keeps him in some sorta shape and not just sitting around the house. Being active is very important when you get up there in age and it's good to know that Whit is ready for another year.

It’s his MIND SET from day 1. He says it Best being a GREAT MENTOR.He tells the young guys about cross-training.
My biggest take from all this is how much he has bought in.He knows so much about what’s going on.
He knows Matt Stafford & his wife personally. Talked about Jared & what a good KId he is.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just no way the Rams can turn down AW returning to fulfill his signed contract IMO. That $11.2 million 2021 cap hit is real high but starting LT's in the NFL that play as well as AW will cost a team that or more. If the Rams were to release AW there is a near $6 million cap hit of dead money.

Its possible Rams might be able to talk AW on lowering his cap hit in 2021 (by offering & guaranteeing him a less than stressful hit on his 40 plus old body, mostly those knees & ankles that have caused him so much pain as of late). This could be accomplished by utilizing Joe Noteboom (entering his 4th season) taking half the snaps @ LT during the regular 16 gms season. Keeping our well-seasoned LT as fresh as possible & removing him from half of a season's worth of p[ossible injuries. Fresh healthy & ready for the playoffs. Unlike what happened this last season.

Kromer is sure to want to make some HD adjustments to how much he utilizes AW in 2021. Kromer nearly lost our best pass-blocking OL'er for the last half of the playoff run season due to injury. AW ended up only finishing 8 gms in the regular season in 2020. AW's total win-lost gms in 2020 record was 7-4. #6th OL'er Noteboom started 9 regular-season games LT/LG went 6-3 during those starts.

But I have been an advocate of a combination & blending of those two LT's for a period of time. Mostly in an effort to keep AW from wear & tear but also to get Noteboom real close working with the HOF'mer AW thus greatly improve Notebooms understanding of the LT requirements & knowledge from AW's brain. It will also provide the Rams a full & complete book on Noteboom skills & abilities as a finished 4 season starting LT before he enters FA'cy this time next year. Rams will know exactly what they are signing up for in the future with no surprises.

I believe the Rams will find a trading partner for our 2nd most experienced OL starting RT Rob Havenstein. Why ??? #1-Very good chance the trade will net a 2nd-day draft selection. #2- Hav's close to $20 million in salary cap will bring relief to the major Rams concerns. Add in the fact Snead has the RT position well fortified with a mass of Ram young lower-salaried RT's just fighting for the opportunity to get a starting position.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Good. One less thing to worry about in the offseason. Shouts to Wayne Gretzky for planting that seed in his mind. "Play until they rip the Jersey Off your back".

Who knows, maybe he will play 3 more years for us during our coming threepeat. :horns:

Leadership.

Imo the Rams' offense sorely missed Whitworth when he went on IR. At the beginning of the year it looked like the oline could really get it done. You could see it in the energy they brought to each play. After Whit's injury, not so much. None of the other linemen were able to give the oline the positive kick in the ass into the next gear that Whitworth did.

He came back early from injury to help in the playoffs though he wasn't up to full speed.

A friend of Stafford's.

Leadership. We really need this guy next year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
AWESOME! I'm excited to have Whitworth back, and I can't wait for us to win a Super Bowl for him.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm game for him to be back, but if he reall wants to win he'd take a pay cut for that Championship shot.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wouldn't lowball Big Whit. I'd ask him how low we could get away with before it hurts his pride. If we were to lose that dude we would be effed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wouldn't lowball Big Whit. I'd ask him how low we could get away with before it hurts his pride. If we were to lose that dude we would be effed.
If we can & do trade Hav we certainly need AW here to sturdy up a very young OL.

Kromer is going to be going with basically the same OL cadre that he has had around since 2019. The OL is still young inexperienced. The OL'ers most likely to join AW would be swing OT Noteboom, Swing OG/OC Allen, Interior OL'er Shelton, Swing OG & OC Corbett, Swing OG & RT Evans, Chandler Brewer swing OT/OG, Jamil Demby swing OG & Swing OT/OG Anchrum. No telling how Kromer will line them up or where he will insert them. But one thing for sure AW is the leader.

Brian Allen who everyone has written off & who crashed playing center in his 2nd season might end up seeing a good amount of action @ both OG posts as a top reserve. He started more @ OG in college than he did center. He was especially good play LG.

With all the negatives being thrown around about our OL one thing that will occur is this entire young OL will have another season of seasoning & learning under its belt. Would that not count for something positive here? Snead knows he must inject some additional talent into this 2021 OL cadre to head off the next yrs loss of 4 OL'ers to FA'cy. Center is #1 and LT is #2, however, the LT might be taken first over the OC.

Last edited:

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
That's to bad. I was hoping they were going to move forward without him. The Rams haven't said whether they are bringing him back yet so the jury is still out.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams need to make a decision. Do you want Noteboom going into the future or not? If not then they are starting all over again having wasted 4 years on Joe. IMO Noteboom is a starting caliber YOUNG LT and he will be snatched up next year. The Rams also are over the cap and although I see how they can clear that deficit they still need money to lock up the two extensions they absolutely need. They need to extend Floyd and Williams and IMO that will take the release of Whitworth, Havenstein and Brockers. I'd rather have Floyd and Williams than two aging players in Whitworth and Brockers and a JAG in Havenstein. If they are really all in then clear the decks and continue to build this team.

Playing LT is not the same as playing QB and IMO his age is showing. Those 3 will give them the $15-$16M they need to extend Floyd and Williams.

IMO the Stafford trade signals that the Rams are all in i.e. win now mentality.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't understand how you see Boom as a starting caliber LT. The dropoff from Whit to Boom is a bit of a gulf. We're also a contender now not the Browns or something. :LOL:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams need to make a decision. Do you want Noteboom going into the future or not? If not then they are starting all over again having wasted 4 years on Joe. IMO Noteboom is a starting caliber YOUNG LT and he will be snatched up next year. The Rams also are over the cap and although I see how they can clear that deficit they still need money to lock up the two extensions they absolutely need. They need to extend Floyd and Williams and IMO that will take the release of Whitworth, Havenstein and Brockers. I'd rather have Floyd and Williams than two aging players in Whitworth and Brockers and a JAG in Havenstein. If they are really all in then clear the decks and continue to build this team.

Playing LT is not the same as playing QB and IMO his age is showing. Those 3 will give them the $15-$16M they need to extend Floyd and Williams.IMO the Stafford trade signals that the Rams are all in i.e. win now mentality.
The fact is Joe Noteboom was promoted to be the starting LG starting in 2019. Noteboom only made it through 5 gms as a starter until he injured his knee & was out for the remainder of the season. Kromer in 2020 once again went with Noteboom as the starting LG initially until he was injured again this time in the 2nd gms of the season. That's when OL'er David Edwards who started @ RG in 2019 took the LG post & never gave it back to Noteboom. Noteboom got healthy & when AW went down with a tore up knee in the 9th gm of the season Noteboom was the reliever @ that post. Noteboom did well enough to help the Rams get into the playoffs.

The Joe Noteboom Ram future has not been made as of this moment & most assuring will not be made into the very early 2022 pre FA'cy. So there is no need to rush into any final decision here on Noteboom. I do not see Noteboom selection & his employment with the Rams as being wasted. It's just not been finalized at this time.;)

I agree 100% with you on your thoughts on the trading of veterans Rob Havenstein & Micheal Brockers for the reasons: (#1)- To regain over $40 million in future Ram cap funds for 2021/2022 seasons. (#2)- Fact Rams need a critical injection of talented players onto the roster @ low economic prices...... draft selections are the best medicine to heal this need.

Yes, funds must be obtained by some method in order to offer the very good RFA starting CB Williams a First round tender (Approx. $4.8 mil.) then you must figure in the future salary funds to sign him to a long-term contract for the future after 2021. I have not seen any ROD member not agree with this. The problem is what will Williams mandate in high-end $$$ to remain a Ram after 2021. That is a very big unknown. So the Rams must have several young developing corners here just in case. Right now Rams do not have those corner elements here. 2019 3rd rd pick CB David Long has been close to a bust thus far!

Now let me throw this out .......what if AW is the next Tom Brady as a left tackle in the element when it comes to LONGEVITY & ENDURANCE playing at a high-level way into his 40's? Snead & McVay had plans to have AW here for several seasons, This was also desired by them so they gave AW a 3 yr contract less than a year ago. A $30 mil/ $12.5 mil guaranteed contract! If the Rams were to cut AW there is close to #6 mil of instant dead funds! That's just not going to happen.

The bottom line from my perspective .....good effective LT's are much more difficult to find than OLB'ers or Corners.

Last edited: