Andrew Helmick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Any chance WR Andrew Helmick makes the Rams final roster this season? He sounds like a very classy young man and apparently he IS fast!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wonder if he can return kickoffs?

That would go a long way.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
If we keep 6 than I think the last spot is between him and Nick Johnson IMO. I think Helmick is going to make it in this league, with us or not. Not saying he will be a star but I think he has ability to make active rosters. His hands are phenomenal, that is something that cant be taught. He has a good NFL body and he is not afraid to lay out to make the catch. He has pretty good speed too. I think he could be a Dane Looker type WR in this league. Like CGI said though, playing special teams will be key if he wants to make rosters right now, maybe not necessarily at returner but gunner on PR and KR as well. Im rooting for the kid....All and all I think we have a great group of UDFAs and while some may not catch on here, I think some will have other opportunities.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
biggame1190 said:
If we keep 6 than I think the last spot is between him and Nick Johnson IMO. I think Helmick is going to make it in this league, with us or not. Not saying he will be a star but I think he has ability to make active rosters. His hands are phenomenal, that is something that cant be taught. He has a good NFL body and he is not afraid to lay out to make the catch. He has pretty good speed too. I think he could be a Dane Looker type WR in this league. Like CGI said though, playing special teams will be key if he wants to make rosters right now, maybe not necessarily at returner but gunner on PR and KR as well. Im rooting for the kid....All and all I think we have a great group of UDFAs and while some may not catch on here, I think some will have other opportunities.

I don't believe Looker ever ran under a 4.4. Helmick did at his pro day. The kid has speed and hands. And he can be brought along slowly. If he could return kicks, that would be huge. He is gonna get a lot of work in camp and preseason so he will be exposed physically. He needs to stay healthy and he's got a solid shot of making the team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There was also a tweet from someone that he runs smooth routes too. Maybe he will be one of those gems Snead likes to mine.

CGI I thought the same thing if he won't be a WR right away because of the crowd let him return kicks. With his speed one seam can lead to a TD or great field position. Why not right?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Here's a nice article with videos on Helmick.

<a class="postlink" href="http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/breaking_st_louis_rams_sign_wr_andrew_helmick/13627271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... k/13627271</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Maybe a little Don Beebie 2.0 on our hands?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks max.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
paceram said:
Any chance WR Andrew Helmick makes the Rams final roster this season? He sounds like a very classy young man and apparently he IS fast!
I think he has a very god chance. IMHO, it is going to be between Radway, Helmick and Nick Johnson. Waht Radway and Helmick bring over NJ is height and speed. Radway is 6'3"- 4.32 40. Helmick-6' - 4.29 40. All gonna depend on what they can do on ST's

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
ReddingRam said:
paceram said:
I think he has a very god chance. IMHO, it is going to be between Radway, Helmick and Nick Johnson. Waht Radway and Helmick bring over NJ is height and speed. Radway is 6'3"- 4.32 40. Helmick-6' - 4.29 40. All gonna depend on what they can do on ST's

Helmick appears to have naturally soft hands. That's a huge plus for him.

The negatives for him are he's not a physical specimen and he appears a bit stiff. Not a lot of wiggle to him, not the Amendola quickness. But AH has better straight line speed. I'm rooting for him big time. He sounds like a great kid. He said he wants to return kicks, so I hope he gets the chance.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
max said:
biggame1190 said:

I don't believe Looker ever ran under a 4.4. Helmick did at his pro day. The kid has speed and hands. And he can be brought along slowly. If he could return kicks, that would be huge. He is gonna get a lot of work in camp and preseason so he will be exposed physically. He needs to stay healthy and he's got a solid shot of making the team.

I didn't mean as much of a comparison to Looker and Helmicks game traits. I meant how Looker was known as such a hard worker and had the respect of his coaches and peers from this, I meant how Looker too was an undrafted FA and actually had some longevity in the NFL, whether it was as a backup or not. I think Helmick fits that build (in my crystal ball). And while he did run a 4.4 at his pro day, looking at his game tape I dont think that blazing time will translate to the NFL with these higher caliber CBs. But still he has good speed none the less. ..Oh and he did light returning in college, plus the way he carries the ball after the catch makes me think he is not a natural return man. And thats fine. he is a big kid with jacked arms so I imagine he will be a good STer on kickoff and punt coverage vs returner. Im excited to see how he does this preseason. Coming from a super small school its not that hard to believe that he was unnoticed....