Andrew Donnal @ LT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
After Saffold got hurt (broke his hand?) Andrew Donnal came in a finished at LT. I only listened to the game on the radio so I'd like to hear from you folks how you think he played. I saw him at training camp and he played a lot of LT with the 2's and he looked pretty solid there. He played LT at Iowa.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Terrible. After Saffold went down the entire o line was absolutely dreadful. Hence no offense in the second half. Poor Goff was wrecked nearly every passing play.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
He did fine all of those blitzes came up the gut. same problem different day

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher trying to show he's the big man by not dressing #73 . Foolish move with Saffolds history .

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Terrible. After Saffold went down the entire o line was absolutely dreadful. Hence no offense in the second half. Poor Goff was wrecked nearly every passing play.

Yep. And I read somewhere that Donnal last played OLT in ... high school. (Will get the link if I can find it).

So let's do some inventory:
- Make former starter GRob a healthy scratch today, instead of just benching him but keeping him dressed;
- Start Saffold at OLT, despite the fact that he always gets injured at OLT ... and sure enough, he got injured at OLT; and
- After Saffold goes down, bring in a guy who hasn't played the position since high school.

Is our coaching staff brilliant or what?

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
IIRC, he did well. Sort of well. Not bad in pass pro, run blocking not so good.

Funny story, I'm watching the game and I made a comment about not having any false start penalties (in my mind I'm referring to GRob) and what does Donnel do right after I say that?

Yep! Moved two steps back before the ball was snapped.

I'm going to have to start keeping my thoughts to myself.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The first few plays he did well and during the two minute offense Goof was clean. The second half nothing was working for the offense but it wasn't like the pressure was coming consistently from the left side.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
-- Draft a guy because he has all the physical tools but mentally, has a lot to learn

-- Bench said guy when he draws penalties, as does the rest of the team

-- Shuffle entire offensive line during your rookie QB's second start

-- Starting guard, whom you moved to tackle, gets injured

Am I talking about Spags/Smith/Bradford or Fisher/Robinson/Goff? Jesus.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The entire line was garbage today. Ready for a new coaching staff including a new OLine coach.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Donnal was serviceable but inconsistent. I'd start Donnal there next week instead of GR.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Many of us had Saffold getting hurt before he did, not activating Robinson or Pace Murphy was idiotic, I thought that Donnal had played some LT in college, but Donnal said, it's been a while. Fisher has far too much experience to make that mistake and where was OL Coach Paul Bordreau to remind him of that.

Overall I felt Andrew Donnal did far better than I expected, but you could tell he was not comfortable playing LT and Jeff Fisher once again underscores why it's time to go in another direction.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Line was great in the first half then we got down to far and they pinned their ears back and blitzed.

I disagree but we'll leave that little thumb down button alone. Goff was forced to evade the pass rush multiple times in the first half. They had a couple of good blocks that sprung TG yes but when it counted they were bad and the Saints, who don't have a good DLine, were in Goffs face entirely too much today.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to say. There was pressure coming from everywhere in the second half. Personally, I think our OL performed worse than it has in weeks. I don't think it's a coincidence that it happened after we shuffled the OL.

Truth is that Wichmann should have been the guy on the bench today. He was terrible. Barnes was pretty horrible too. Would have been nice if we could have had Greg at LT, Saffold at LG, and Brown at RG. But that's out the window now.

Saffold isn't a big loss. He didn't play well this year. But it annoys me that Fisher singled out Robinson when he's no more at fault than anyone else.

EDIT: I eagerly await the disagree button pushers.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hard to say. There was pressure coming from everywhere in the second half. Personally, I think our OL performed worse than it has in weeks. I don't think it's a coincidence that it happened after we shuffled the OL.

Truth is that Wichmann should have been the guy on the bench today. He was terrible. Barnes was pretty horrible too. Would have been nice if we could have had Greg at LT, Saffold at LG, and Brown at RG. But that's out the window now.

Saffold isn't a big loss. He didn't play well this year. But it annoys me that Fisher singled out Robinson when he's no more at fault than anyone else.

Your not getting an argument from me.
Most of the pressure on our qb's this year have come from the middle. They're also the reason our run game is lacking.
GRob should have at least dressed today. I was shocked when I found out he was inactive.

I haven't heard anything on Battle lately. Did I miss something?

Bruce2980

Starter

I agree, but I couldn't help myself with the disagree button. I find it funny that Saffold was predicted to get hurt if he played LT before that half was over on this forum earlier this week, and I thought that prediction was incite full, but apparently it went unnoticed by our brilliant coaching staff. When will they ever listen?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your not getting an argument from me.
Most of the pressure on our qb's this year have come from the middle. They're also the reason our run game is lacking.
GRob should have at least dressed today. I was shocked when I found out he was inactive.

I haven't heard anything on Battle lately. Did I miss something?

He's on the practice squad.

I was also shocked. Boy was that a dumb move.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you know what we rail on fisher for lack of accountability but the healthy scratching of GRob at least shows he trying to make players accountable

now whether he did it at the right time or the right guy (im not a fan of Grob FWIW ) is most definitely debatable but i kinda like the move