And Nick Wagoner's response to the PFF thread is ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dick84

Laurinaitis has trouble shedding he's not effective as a blitzer, and he's not good in coverage.

He's an athletically challenged but intelligent football player, but he's nowhere close to being the difference maker that some seem to think he is at least in terms of play. That said you can't put a number on his leadership.

Luckily his contract will be paying him much closer to what he's worth going forward.

"Trouble shedding".. I'll have to take your word for it, I guess.

"Not an effective blitzer" .... 3.5 sacks in very limited blitz opportunities. Not sure how you could say that.

"Not good in coverage"... Really? Compared to? He's not "great" in coverage... But is, in fact, quite good.

"Athletically challenged"? Dude runs about a 4.8... Not freakish.. But very good. Nothing bad... 8th fastest in draft class and would've been top five this year.

He doesn't blow people up... Isn't overwhelming at the point of attack.

I'm fascinated to see what he does under Williams and how it changes perceptions of him.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Laurinaitis has trouble shedding he's not effective as a blitzer, and he's not good in coverage.

He's an athletically challenged but intelligent football player, but he's nowhere close to being the difference maker that some seem to think he is at least in terms of play. That said you can't put a number on his leadership.

Luckily his contract will be paying him much closer to what he's worth going forward.

And I don't think he's anywhere near the below average player some think he is. I think he's like a few other players which might include Bradford. They have been surrounded by mediocrity since they got to the Rams. As the pieces fall into place around them I think we will see the real players they can become.

RustyRay

Rookie
There aren't a ton of MLB's who play well with NFL G's in their face all the time...

JL hasn't always had great help from the DT in front of him keeping him clean...I believe Ray Lewis often said his success was directly related to both being able to run to the ball and see things because Goose was eating up blockers.

Now JL has always had nice tackle #s and made lots of plays. He isn't flashy and he isn't a big hitter, but he is a solid athlete who knows where he is supposed to be and what he is supposed to do and often gets it done at a high level..he is very smart and also sets up the D and knows what others are supposed to do.

Coaches speak highly of him and so do his peers and he is a team leader on and off the field...not sure what else you could ask for...

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
"Not an effective blitzer" .... 3.5 sacks in very limited blitz opportunities. Not sure how you could say that.

He's had more opportunities than you think, it's just that he usually just runs into somebody so you can't tell he's blitzing. ;)

"Not good in coverage"... Really? Compared to? He's not "great" in coverage... But is, in fact, quite good.

This has never been on this list of things Laurinaitis does well.

"Athletically challenged"? Dude runs about a 4.8... Not freakish.. But very good. Nothing bad... 8th fastest in draft class and would've been top five this year.

It's widely known and accepted that Laurinaitis isn't fast.

Being top 8 in your class at MLB in the 40 isn't impressive.

Top five this year? Mosley (4.67), Borland (4.78), Brown (4.78), Coyle (4.62), Barrow (4.59), Bullough (4.71), Williamson (4.59), Carson (4.73) and there's more...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/probe.php?genpos=ILB&draftyear=2014&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

He doesn't blow people up... Isn't overwhelming at the point of attack.

Agreed.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
And I don't think he's anywhere near the below average player some think he is. I think he's like a few other players which might include Bradford. They have been surrounded by mediocrity since they got to the Rams. As the pieces fall into place around them I think we will see the real players they can become.

I gave Laurinaitis a pass especially early last year when he was having to line up Ogletree and got caught in his adjustments mid-snap a few times.

Hopefully this year he can play more and teach less.

He's a fan favorite so he'll always be one of those players that Rams fans will have trouble looking at objectively.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I for one, have always considered PFF's ratings to be very suspect and subjective and with this kind of dribble they lose even more credibility in my eyes.

If this Rams roster is truly 31st they should finish no better than 2-14 in 2014 especially considering the toughness of their upcoming schedule and I do not think that will happen even in the rugged NFC west. If that actually happens then I may give PFF some respect but for now, it is my opinion that PFF's work is just a steaming pile of excrement.

NOTE: My First Post at ROD

Last edited:

Dick84

He's had more opportunities than you think, it's just that he usually just runs into somebody so you can't tell he's blitzing. ;)

It's widely known and accepted that Laurinaitis isn't fast.

Being top 8 in your class at MLB in the 40 isn't impressive.

Top five this year? Mosley (4.67), Borland (4.78), Brown (4.78), Coyle (4.62), Barrow (4.59), Bullough (4.71), Williamson (4.59), Carson (4.73) and there's more...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/probe.php?genpos=ILB&draftyear=2014&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Agreed.

Perhaps you don't understand "athleticism"?
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/james-laurinaitis?id=79850

You're pretty lame in your response. All subjective, nothing substantive.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Is that link somehow evidence of his athleticsm?

He's very average. That shows on the field as well.

But his leadership and intelligence will keep him from being a liability during what may be the last two years of his career as a Ram.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

In Week 4 these teams faced off in St. Louis, where both defenses were able to dominate. MLB James Laurinaitis (+5.8) was unstoppable in run defense, pass rush and coverage,

Just one week where he was dominant.
You are right your opinion on JL is not popular here:rolleyes:

lockdnram21

Legend
imo if Doald wouldnt have been availablei think they would have drafted Mosley and JL would have been a cap casualty next year. I think JL contract is a product
of the rams sucking and they had to give that money to somebody. I also think C Long is overrated but i will attribue his off year to playing injured. If he doesn4 return to form i think he might be a cap casualty next season to

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Long was still one of the best 4-3 DEs last year production wise. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Laurinaitis's cap hit drops to something like $4M. It's a very fair contract going forward and I don't think they're going to cut ties with either of their defensive captains.

We're seeing why it was a good idea to front load a lot of these contracts. We shouldn't have much trouble signing Quinn unless he absolutely wants out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I guess Chris Long Is only average because he, ranked 7th best 4-3 De according to them. And he has only had 33 sacks in the last 3 tears!!:mad:

Dick84

"Athletically challenged"... Your words.

He's anything but.

He's good athletically.. Not great, not elite, but better than average.

You see.. Average is in the middle.. He is above average for middle linebackers.

And I've yet to see/read anything backing up poor coverage.

That's just not true.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I get what Ziggy is saying. I don't think he's ripping on Laurinaitis. JL is not an elite MLB i agree. He isn't overly strong,fast or athletic...but i sure wouldn't want to be without him, and still searching for someone...ANYONE to replace London Fletcher. We've had some shitty MLB's in here in between Fletch and JL.
If JL's body could react as quickly as his football mind he'd be a superstar IMO. Add to that his leadership. As it stands he's a smart, durable, all around solid starter in my book....and he could end up having his best season yet behind Brockers and Donald.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
So I guess their argument at the end of the season is that roster rankings have no bearing on Win/Loss records when the Rams finish 12-4?:sneaky:

A55VA6

Legend
Just to get this straight... we have the 2nd worst roster in the NFL? lol k.

They must be terrible talent evaluators and know nothing about our younger, less known players just like most of the fans of the NFL. We may have had a worse record than alot of teams last year, but that doesn't mean those teams are better than the Rams. They just had an easier schedule and didn't have to play 6 games between SF, SEA, and ARI.

In my opinion, just looking over all 32 teams rosters.. i'd say the Rams are maybe 18th best in the NFL. To me, that's a realistic ranking for this team. But you know, everyone hates the Rams so I am not going to worry about what they all think.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I swear, sometimes PFF's rankings are like NFL.com comments. They're both dumb.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
*CLICHE ALERT*

No one outside this forum believed in us.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
On Topic: Yeah i find it hard to believe that we'll be trotting out the 31st ranked roster on Sundays. Tbh i didn't read the entire article. I could care less. We were probably good enough to make the playoffs in a few other divisions last season even with our starting QB out.