Analyzing the Rams 2017 key free agents

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://isportsweb.com/2016/12/24/analyzing-the-los-angeles-rams-key-2017-free-agents/

Analyzing the Los Angeles Rams key 2017 free agents

The 4-11 Los Angeles Rams will have some interesting decisions to make this offseason. With nearly $41 million in cap space the Rams will have to make some key decisions with their 2017 free agents. This is because in 2018 they will have Aaron Donald, Alec Ogletree, and Greg Robinson all being potential free agents.

This upcoming Rams free agent class has some key players in Trumaine Johnson, TJ McDonald, Kenny Britt, Greg Zuerlein, and Benny Cunningham. All five of those players should be re-signed, especially Johnson and McDonald due to the lack of good depth in the secondary.

Trumaine Johnson
Johnson was selected in the third round of the 2012 draft, the same draft the Rams got Janoris Jenkins in. This past offseason, the Rams chose to go with Johnson over Jenkins as they placed the franchise tag on him.

An issue the Rams have had for years is good depth in their secondary, as they have been forced to start inexperienced corners such as Troy Hill and Michael Jordan when guys such as Johnson and EJ Gaines have been injured.

A big issue for Johnson has been his ability to stay on the field and he has played in 36 of 47 possible games in his last three seasons, including this season. However, Johnson has shown he can play well when healthy as he was able to shut down the now retired Calvin Johnson last season.

In 2016 Johnson has slowed down when it comes to creating turnovers as he has a lone interception coming off of a season in which he had seven. Johnson is a good physical cornerback, maybe a bit too aggressive at times but he does do well in the run game.

Overall, the Rams cannot afford to lose a guy like Johnson, especially with the way the team is set up. The big issue is how much money will he want after getting the franchise tag worth nearly $14 million.

TJ McDonald
The former USC Trojan and third round pick in the 2013 draft is wrapping up his fourth year in the NFL. The hard-hitting safety has played in every game for the Rams this season and has one interception along with five pass deflections and 46 tackles.

McDonald has never been a guy who makes the flashy interceptions or just the big plays in general. Just like Johnson he is a physical player and likes to lay the lumber along with many on the Rams defense.

McDonald was part of a great safety duo last year with Rodney McLeod and has been able to do a solid job with Maurice Alexander by his side. In a similar boat as Johnson, McDonald is almost a must re-sign with the lack of quality depth in the Rams secondary.

Kenny Britt
Bringing in Kenny Britt was probably one of the best things Jeff Fisher did for the Rams. Fisher brought in the troubled Tennessee Titans wide receiver and in his third year with the Rams is the team’s first 1,000 yard wide receiver since Torry Holt in 2007.

This season Britt has set career highs in targets, receptions, and yards. In six games Britt has had 75 of more receiving yards and has been targeted ten or more times in four games.

For years the Rams have been searching for a true number one wide receiver and they might have found that in the 28 year old Britt. All of these numbers are being put up with below average quarterbacks as well, just imagine if Jared Goff comes out in 2017 doing what the Rams expected of him when he was drafted.

A big, tall receiver who has shown he can produce is a must re-sign for the Rams. If they can find a solid number two to go along with Britt and Tavon Austin, the team will have a nice receiving core for the future to help Goff.

Greg Zuerlein
Greg “The Leg” Zuerlein had a rough season in 2015 as he made just 20/30 field goals. This season, Zuerlein has been much more accurate as he is 17/20 this season, and his three misses have comes from forty or more yards, two from beyond fifty yards.

With a struggling Rams offense it has been hard for Zuerlein to get as many opportunities to make field goals, but his strong leg is still a force to be reckoned with. Accuracy is still a work in progress as his career field goal percentage is 79.1%, but he has been a solid kicker aside from 2015 and one could make the argument for 2012.

Benny Cunningham
Cunningham has been dependable as a kick returner and as the backup to Todd Gurley this season. Despite only having 21 carries, Cunningham was able to rush for 101 yards, which is 4.8 per carry. That along with 16 receptions for 91 yards is solid for the Middle Tennessee State alum.

The kick return game is where Cunningham shines ever brighter. This season Cunningham returned 22 kicks for an average of 27.2 per return, which is fifth best in the NFL. While he is not the flashiest player, he gets the job done and gets it done right. Cunningham should be re-signed to help relieve Todd Gurley during games and do his good work on special teams in the return game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
At this point in time I think all 5 need to be resigned! In 2018 Only 2 of the 3 mentioned will be a priority, If GRob doesn't get his act together he won't be on the Team! JMHO!

FRO

Legend
You have to bring Britt back and Johnson back. If I were the GM I would want all 5 back, but priority has to be with Johnson and Britt.

TexasRam

Legend
Johnson is priority 1. We need him and another offseason Cb to get back to a top 10 Defense.

Britt has to go. He's a headcase and a third down nightmare.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
None of these guys are a priority....Not Tru, Not TJ Mac, not Britt...I'd hate to saddle a new staff with some terrible contracts....
I still don't know what they'll do with Robert Quinn, Roger Saffold, Tavon Austin, and Lance Kendricks. Those are looking like TERRIBLE DEALS at the moment. I'm making money for Donald & Ogletree FIRST!!!! Then worrying about the others...

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think Tru and TJ are must and should come at a discounted rate. Neither are top tier guys

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
None of these guys are a priority....Not Tru, Not TJ Mac, not Britt...I'd hate to saddle a new staff with some terrible contracts....
I still don't know what they'll do with Robert Quinn, Roger Saffold, Tavon Austin, and Lance Kendricks. Those are looking like TERRIBLE DEALS at the moment. I'm making money for Donald & Ogletree FIRST!!!! Then worrying about the others...

Champ, I think you need a Snickers. You're not yourself when your hungry.

Ram65

Legend
I've been mistakenly thinking they resigned Olgletree. Duh! He is due $8,369,000 in 2017. So the Rams can actually have him count less on cap with a new long term deal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/alec-ogletree-12310/

I'd also like to sign Benny. He's a good No. 2

Yep!! Can run and catch. Very helpful for Goff.

I would like more info on Quinn and his injuries. Zuerlein and Benny for sure. The rest could go either way. We need to see who is new coach and his staff. Johnson get hurt and hasn't played great. His price tag should be lower. TJ has to be a good deal. He good but, not great. Same for Britt. I'm on the fence because he is inconsistent. He was better this year but was because he needs a new contract. It's still very early. Rams can deal with Austin and Kendrick. I look for Higbee to step up as the pass catching TE. They could be solid bookend TEs. Harkey anyone? Yes!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They've gotten themselves saddled with some bad contracts. Quinn is no longer a dominant pass rusher but he's being paid like one. And he won't be able to play 16 games anymore. We'll do good to get 12 out of him. Kendricks is a drop machine. Saffold is ok but nothing more. He's played more than usual this year but his injury history is iffy. Tavon is a gimmick guy you can't rely on in the pass game. Guys like him coulda been had on the 3rd day of the draft.

I'd like all the pending free agents back but not at the cost of losing out on other free agents we need. We need reliable receivers. Britt is the closest one we have to that. None of the others is even close. I don't know what to say about the line. Nothing good anywhere. But we realistically can't get rid of em all and start over. All we can do is hope the new staff can do a better job coaching them.

I'd look for a savvy vet at LT and either move Robinson inside or demote him to the bench. Let him finish his last year and don't pick up the 5th year option. If they bring back Tru we will need someone opposite him. And we need a true free safety.

All in all, we need the offense to be better. This was the worst one I've seen since the 1-15 season in 2009. Pretty much equal to that one. The league is geared to offense. Teams are scoring more. You can't expect to have a top tier defense year after year. You need guys who can make plays. We don't have anyone who resembles that.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm ready to let Britt walk - unless he is coming back at the veteran minimum. I'm not paying Tru as a top 5 corner either - although I might go top 15. Benny needs to come back. GZ can stay at a reasonable price and nothing more. TJ can stay long term - but I wouldn't break the bank for him.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm thinking the way things went this year, TruJo's market value might drop a little bit, into a range where re-signing him can work for the Rams.

I like TJ, but I wonder if he's redundant now with Alexander's progress this year (and a hopeful move of Joyner to FS, where he belongs).

I'm iffy on Britt. On one hand, he's never really put it on the line for anybody except Jeff Fisher. On the other hand, being the first Rams 1000 yard WR, in a Rob Boras coordinated offense is an accomplishment. This one might come down to who gets hired as the HC, and if he thinks he can motivate Britt to play hard, especially after he gets handed a decent paycheck.

I'd love to keep Benny, but there is always a possibility he could have an expanded role somewhere else. We might have to overpay to keep him (although from my understanding, the Rams will have a bunch of cap room in the offseason). This may be another one that comes down to the HC hire ... with the new HC having to convince Benny to stay.

I would try to keep GZ. He recovered nicely this year, and when 2/3 misses are from 50+ yards, you can't really fault him. That makes him 17/18 inside 50, and that's pretty damn good.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would re-sign Trumaine, first off. He's probably going to be better in a scheme that has more 2 deep looks, which I guess we will go to, and which would allow him to use his size closer to the LOS vice starting off with a 10 yard cushion, not to mention he's solid in zone. He is a quality corner, so keep him.

TJ is gone. Rams have Barron getting paid for run support and Alexander is a better version of TJ. Paying this guy will not give them returns and that money needs to go elsewhere like FA additions at WR or OL, not to mention paying Donald if they get his contract reworked early.

Britt is gone. I could care less about his 1k yards, the dude is terribly inconsistent and a goofy F that needs to go. Whatever he would ask for pay some more for a real top wideout in FA, I am sure they could get Alshon with a good offer if they have an offensive coach like Asshole Face running the show.

Zuerlein is yet another guy who never lived up to Fisher's expectation. He's a JAG. You can get kickers with his sort of idiotic misses the past two seasons in late rounds or UDFA. Dude is gone.

Cunningham I try to keep. Good solid back who can fit nicely in a balanced offense, but if he wants a big check I let him go. Why? Because you can get RBs rather easily plus I really like Brown and Green. Brown is a nice power back, and Green might be the best fit of all for a new regime aside from Gurley.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I've been mistakenly thinking they resigned Olgletree. Duh! He is due $8,369,000 in 2017. So the Rams can actually have him count less on cap with a new long term deal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/alec-ogletree-12310/

Yep!! Can run and catch. Very helpful for Goff.

I would like more info on Quinn and his injuries. Zuerlein and Benny for sure. The rest could go either way. We need to see who is new coach and his staff. Johnson get hurt and hasn't played great. His price tag should be lower. TJ has to be a good deal. He good but, not great. Same for Britt. I'm on the fence because he is inconsistent. He was better this year but was because he needs a new contract. It's still very early. Rams can deal with Austin and Kendrick. I look for Higbee to step up as the pass catching TE. They could be solid bookend TEs. Harkey anyone? Yes!

Agreed. Britt always seems to show up on a contract year and then disappears the following season. I imagine he would be a great No. 2 under a better offensive system and with a good No. 1 wr on the roster. I would keep him but on a 1 year deal and a new coaching staff should be able to pull that off.

Yeah higbee was terribly misused this year. They had him blocking while Kendrick was out running routes and dropping passes. While I like Kendricks because he's a good blocker and an ok receiving threat he's not gonna keep opposing defenses up at night. I swear I think they had him run the same damn 9 route on almost every play.

I think Quinn is fine. Players get hurt and maybe he just needs to have the off-season to get back to where he needs to be. I'm sure we will be hearing more about it as new coachest get hired.

One guy I would really like to keep is our Dline coach. Maybe make him the new DC if he's up to it? Seems like a no brainer

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Agreed. Britt always seems to show up on a contract year and then disappears the following season. I imagine he would be a great No. 2 under a better offensive system and with a good No. 1 wr on the roster. I would keep him but on a 1 year deal and a new coaching staff should be able to pull that off.

Yeah higbee was terribly misused this year. They had him blocking while Kendrick was out running routes and dropping passes. While I like Kendricks because he's a good blocker and an ok receiving threat he's not gonna keep opposing defenses up at night. I swear I think they had him run the same damn 9 route on almost every play.

I think Quinn is fine. Players get hurt and maybe he just needs to have the off-season to get back to where he needs to be. I'm sure we will be hearing more about it as new coachest get hired.

One guy I would really like to keep is our Dline coach. Maybe make him the new DC if he's up to it? Seems like a no brainer

No chance. He has no experience at all aside from the d line coach. Unless you count one year in 1980 when he coached DBs.

Haven't we learned our lesson already? Boras had no business taking the OC job and Waffle has no business running a defense.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
No chance. He has no experience at all aside from the d line coach. Unless you count one year in 1980 when he coached DBs.

Haven't we learned our lesson already? Boras had no business taking the OC job and Waffle has no business running a defense.
Difference is our DLine is one of the best and our TE's some of the worst. Guys get brought up from the ranks all the time and works out. Who's to say he couldn't be a great D coach???

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Difference is our DLine is one of the best and our TE's some of the worst. Guys get brought up from the ranks all the time and works out. Who's to say he couldn't be a great D coach???

Brought up the ranks. Yes. From the bottom to the top at once? No. Only Jeff Fisher pulls shit like that.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Brought up the ranks. Yes. From the bottom to the top at once? No. Only Jeff Fisher pulls crap like that.
From the bottom? Where else could he go from d line coach? I mean assistant DC coordinator? Those are usually fluff jobs. I'm not so sure.
It's just our opinions so ...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd let them all walk...We're going to lose 12 games with them, we can lose 12 games without them!