Analysis of picks--based on FILM (not what others wrote)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Taylor Rapp S
Smart, knows where to be and moves in a bee line and strikes. Looks fast on tape, if not in the 40. A winner pick. Guys like him don't have the combine stats, but form the back bone of a winning team. Like Ryan Pickett, or Dave Elmendorf or Jack Reynolds---winners, who have enough talent and play their role well, strike hard and are leaders.

Darrell Henderson RB
Competitiion was soooo low and slow--just my opine. IT is hard to know what you are getting--in my opinion.
HOwever, he is fearless in his explosiveness; he has good hands, catch ability will be great on screens and down the field. I don't think he will be ripping off so many long runs and catches in the NFL. He may have some Darren Sproles in him, but is he really that fast--or the competition that slow??? Again, look at the guys he was playing. A good pick, and will suit the Rams well. He plays tough---that is important. I still think this pick could fail, like T Candidate, but it was worth the risk...and, I think the Rams looked hard into this selection for months. Also, he looks tough to tackle because he makes nice, fast round cuts. Yes, he rounds all his cuts from what I saw, but at his speed, so what.

David Long - CB
Fearless in coverage, even though he doesn't have the feet or long speed to have that dispositional thinking (lol, nice english I got). I am ok with him giving up 3 long TDs a year, if he shuts his guy out the other 90% of the time---which I saw him do on tape against O State. He is a 3rd round talent like LeRoy Irvin.....this guy is a football player, and if he is as smart as Irvin, this guy will be exactly what this defense requires. Tough attitude and fearless....will take him over M Peters any day, starting in 2020. He has a lot of Talib in him--with better feet. His size at 196 is good---who cares about the 5'11" thing.

Bobby Evans G/T
Great
feet for a guard, very good feet for a RT, or just good enough feet for a LT. Somewhat tenacious. Naturally strong overall, so it looks, but needs to get more powerful. Playing out of position at LT makes his tape look mediocre at best. But, if he was at guard, he would have great tape. A future NFL starter 100% at guard, and 60% chance at RT. With his long arms, and if his 312 lbs becomes 320 with muscle, not fat, then we are talking a pro bowl in the future (in the Rams system). Many guards like him through the years don't have the communication or the intelligence....this is the difference between talent and pro bowl production. Yes, love the pick.

Also, he is a good communicator, knows where to be---which is very, very, very important...and that is why players like Blythe, with very little "NFL" talent, can start.

To copy and paste: I can see this guy playing left or right, guard or tackle. Strong and long armed. Quality person.

Greg Gaines DT
Fat and strong with very good effort for a NT, and has some quicks to pass rush. He won't pass rush consistently, but will make some big pass rush plays when no one expects it. I think this guy will surprise us as a pro bowler some day, but maybe not in in 2019. HOwever, his strength won't last so long in the NFL without some technique. I don't know if he can start, and 'beat' a lot of NFL centers now today. Plays with some fire, which is rare for a NT--also gives great effort on the chase, which again is rare. This is a real winner for a 4th round pick. Guarenteed this guy plays in the NFL. Ya, he does remind me of Jim Burt, too. Have been watching 1986-1989 games, and Burt has the emotions, and some quicks and enough power and intelligence to be great.

David Edwards G/T
Another perfect O line pick. Has good feet and athelticism. A more talented Havenstein, without all the power. But, he is a converted TE, so he will be adding bulk over the next 2-3 years, and still doesn't know what to do. His shoulder injury had to be the problem with his pass blocking---because his feet are too good to look that bad.

His tape wasn't overly impressive, but neither was Havenstein's in my opinion. THough his arms are below avg in length, he seems to play with length. He could start in theNFL some day, and not be a liability in pass blocking. When I saw Havenstein's tape I never knew how he could become what he became--a top 3 pass blocking RT. Intelligence in the O line transfers into knowing where to be, and when to get there. I am not sure Edwards has that now, but I think under Kromer's tutelage he will get there. Edwards is supposed to be a great run blocker---I don't know, he looked good enough in push-power--in line; again, he is more athletic than most guys his size, and he played TE, so he has good feet, so I think in 2021 the Rams will be very, very happy with the investment. IF he has to play in place of Hav, he might not be dominated--which is saying a lot for a rookie, 5th round pick. Why do I say that? Good feet.

Nick Scott S
4.4, former RB who converts to safety...? This is what special teams are made of.

Copy and paste: No doubt here for special teams. Excellent football mind.

Dakota Allen
Guys like this are exactly what the Rams want and need. Big heart is very, very important.

Copy and paste: Like Scott, he is a two time captain and leader. All Academic Big 12. Excelled in special teams

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its hard to expect a lot from day 3 picks. There's usually a reason they aren't picked sooner. But I do believe Gaines can be that hard nosed tough guy with a relentless motor in the middle of the line. I don't expect pro bowls from him. But you can't have a team full of pro bowlers. If you have just enough of them you only need role players who do their jobs. I think he can be one of those.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Darrell Henderson...You can only play the teams on your schedule, however, concur with the defenses not being very good and the only team of significance Memphis played against last season and Henderson must have gotten hurt or something because he only touched the ball 5 times.

As to the Trung Canidate comparison, he's much thicker than Trung as Henderson did 22 reps of 225lbs, which is very good for a running back and he breaks more tackles. Overall when you watch him at the combine, he looks bigger and his first 40 time was 4.53 his second 4.37 so the speed is there. I like the pick as the Rams did their due diligence with all the running backs they looked at and visited with and they came away thinking Henderson was the best fit and I believe he will be and the perfect anecdote against teams like the Bears & Patriots, as the Pats could not cover Damien Williams of the Chiefs, but the Rams with a dinged Gurley and C.J. Anderson, who is not effective coming out of the backfield, could not exploit the Patriots and Henderson will give the Rams that ability IMHO.

Ants

Starter
T

Bobby Evans G/T
Great
feet for a guard, very good feet for a RT, or just good enough feet for a LT. Somewhat tenacious. Naturally strong overall, so it looks, but needs to get more powerful. Playing out of position at LT makes his tape look mediocre at best. But, if he was at guard, he would have great tape.

Also, he is a good communicator, knows where to be---which is very, very, very important...and that is why players like Blythe, with very little "NFL" talent, can start.

To copy and paste: I can see this guy playing left or right, guard or tackle. Strong and long armed. Quality person.

This is pretty much the way I see him. I don't know what people are looking at when they report "slow, plodding feet".
Now, he doesn't look all that athletic (as Edwards does)...but his feet and positioning look good - at least to me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Trung Candidate was a completely different RB. This guy has some toughness to him as a back, and the Rams didn't take him (IMO) because of his yards per carry. They took him because of his vision and ability to quickly take the best option which is going to benefit him greatly in our ZBS ground attack.

He is a fit for this scheme. And if he can develop as a receiver quickly he will be the kind of fit for this scheme that will result in a lot of big plays and success here.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They gave Wade three new toys, Kromer and Bones two and McVay got one. Everybody was helped I think it was a great draft, no aspect of the team was left alone.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes Henderson is not Trung; I know---and he is diff in every way....but like I Trung I wonder about the fit

But, I don't see a guarentee of success with his attributes.....a 3rd round back should succeed, and I wonder if Hendo will

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
David Edwards G/T
Another perfect O line pick. Has good feet and athelticism. A more talented Havenstein, without all the power. But, he is a converted TE, so he will be adding bulk over the next 2-3 years, and still doesn't know what to do. His shoulder injury had to be the problem with his pass blocking---because his feet are too good to look that bad.

I wasn't aware of his injury. And you could very well be right that it affected his performance. The tape I saw on this guy was pretty poor. He was a human turnstile on occasions and I did wonder what the Rams saw in him. Rams may have got a steal with him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't aware of his injury. And you could very well be right that it affected his performance. The tape I saw on this guy was pretty poor. He was a human turnstile on occasions and I did wonder what the Rams saw in him. Rams may have got a steal with him.

He was a first team all american (in one poll) his junior season. https://uwbadgers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6103

Assuming his shoulder is okay (and I'm confident the Rams looked into that) he almost certainly is a steal.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
….he's much thicker than Trung as Henderson did 22 reps of 225lbs, which is very good for a running back and he breaks more tackles. Overall when you watch him at the combine, he looks bigger and his first 40 time was 4.53 his second 4.37 so the speed is there.

I like the description, he's fast but he also goes 0-60 immediately. The competition was slower but 4.37 40? There ain't many guys faster than that.