An Overlooked Ram I look forward to see progress

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
First let me say I am NOT the kind of fan who would want bank on a certain player to start at which ever position just because I like his potential. Until I see the talent translate on the field I think you still hope for their progression while still upgrading whichever position.

hi-res-6518194_display_image.jpg

Safety Matt "The Hat" Daniels - I was very high on this kid last off season BEFORE we signed him as a UDFA, so I was pretty excited the moment we brought in Matt the Hat. This guy was a full fledged star at Duke to which my surprise that he was undrafted last season. In college he showed he had the ability to do it all at safety. A big 212 pound frame yet a mid 4.4 runner, but where he really excelled was in the box. Daniels is an in-the-box safety who is excellent against the run. He reads the play well and seems to put himself right where the running back is going to be before the running back knows and lays down some punishing hits. Let me add I am PRO Quinton Mikell for next season, I think he will be solid again as box SS next year. I know his contract yada yada....Of course I am hoping for reconstruct. My hope is that we obviously upgrade the FS position via free agency or draft, and we try to groom Matt Daniels as future starting SS for possibly the 2014 season.

Some say Daniels was "bad" in the pre-season last year...Well while I will say he did not stand out like I thought he would, the guy did not play bad. He was not at fault for any true impacting plays while in pre-season games. But lets be real, he was undrafted for a reason, the guy was obviously raw. Yet Fisher and the coaching staff made it a effort to keep him on the team, with the Rams keeping FIVE instead of traditional four safeties. The same can be said with McCleod (though I think Daniels ceiling is MUCH higher than undersized McCleod). Unfortunately Daniels regular season was cut short when he tore his ACL in October. I hope his rehab is going well because I think he has a chance to be a starter in this league if he can come back strong and adjust to the game. I am very excited to see his progression next season! This kid has game.

Some of what I would like to see from Daniels in the future wearing blue and gold (Matt Daniels Ultimate Duke Highlights (explicit language)) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2QECMRZbn0

bluecoconuts

Legend
I hope he progresses as well, we need an upgrade at S for sure, if he can develop and become good depth then that's always a good thing. Depending on how he does he can become a solid player, I've always thought good things of him really. He's raw, but I think the talent is there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not expecting much, honestly. Hopefully he'll surprise.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I dug up everything I could on that kid after he was brought into the fold, and I wasn't disappointed in what I read and saw. Naturally, all of these kids are going to get high praise from their coaches and whatnot, but that's not where my optimism started and ended. Similarly, I dug up everything I could about Daryl Richardson, and was very encouraged by what I read about and saw out of him.

I'm with you, BG. I expect him to work his way into the starting line up. Some guys just *have it*, and some do not. Matt Daniels, IMO, is one of those players who has it. The only thing left is for him to show it. Safety is a pretty important position in this defensive scheme, so it's not surprising that he wasn't a day-one starter as a UDFA. I think he'll stick around ........ and then stick.

fearsomefour

Legend
Came to the Rams in a different way but I feel good about Joe Barksdale. Big guy who moves well and doesnt play too high pass blocking. Seemed to me he slides well and plays with good balance in the passing game. Run blocking was just so so. Saw limited game time last year but with good coaching and a solid foundation I could see him fighting for the RT job next year....taking for granted we dont draft someone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like these kind of threads.

It feels different with Fisher and Snead. They have a few guys tucked away like Daniels and Barksdale. Same with Ty Nsekhe and Radway. Guys that COULD be a part of the future.

I never had that same feel with our practice squad before.

EDIT: I think the Rams see Radway as a guy who could take Gibson's spot. A cheaper depth developmental guy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO the Rams will draft a Safety this year and he will be the starter. I am confident that Fisher & Company can develop players, however, Daniels is not someone I see to come in and start. Overall my hope is that he can do enough on special teams to add quality depth to the roster.

fearsomefour

Legend
CGI_Ram:

Feels WAY different....I think that is called optimism. They never stopped looking for players, thats for sure.