An Interesting Perspective

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
So I was thinking about QB's in the league today and their experience and production and had some interesting realizations about when QB's really start to product decent numbers.

Sam Bradford Stats - NFL.com

Although it might seem like 100 years ago when Bradford was drafted, it was only four years ago. So Bradford has four seasons (incomplete at that) under his belt, let's compare that to some other QB's that are in the league right now:

-Aaron Rodgers - Didn't really become a starter til his fourth season, set the league on fire after that.
-Matt Stafford - Limited games first two seasons, broke out in year 3.
-Andy Dalton - Three years of experience, played every game, average stats.
-Drew Brees - Didn't really do much til his fourth year.
-Matt Ryan - Nothing special til his third year.
-Jay Cutler - Not really anything special. Third year was ok, been very up and down since.
-Ben Roethlisberger - Nothing special til his fourth year.
-Phil Rivers - Nothing great til year 3, then average at that.
-Colin Kaepernick - Not full starter til year 3, had an ok year 3, nothing too special.
-Russell Wilson - Pretty good from the start, only one here that had some pretty decent numbers right away.
-Cam Newton - Ok in year three, nothing particularly great before that.
-Andrew Luck - Similar to Russell Wilson, kind of an exception, except year one wasn't the best, lots of picks.

So what I'm seeing after looking at some basic stats (TD:INT ratio, as I feel that is a quick way to get an idea of a performance) is that a lot of QB's seem to bloom in year 3 or 4 or later. This has also been the case for Bradford, although he had trouble in 2013 with his freak injury. Had he not been injured this past year, he would have supported this trend among many other QB's.

I really do think we have a great QB in Bradford. Considering what he has had to overcome that many of these other QB's haven't is very impressive. Perhaps I'm just being a homer but I think Bradford has overcome adversity and team issues significantly better than others on the list above. Going off that, I feel he has had to deal with a lot more issues than other QB's up there (e.g. Russell Wilson).

Anyway, I think we got a future star in our hands here after looking at this info and comparing Bradford to others. The only concern I could see is injuries, and we'll find out a lot about that this coming year. If he becomes another Jay Cutler (as he has been the last 3 years or so) and can't play a whole season, then that is a big problem and we will have to figure something else out I believe. But really, I believe Cutler's injury issues arose from his terrible O-Line, and the same could be said for Bradford. Now that that issue is getting cleared up I think it will help with injury problems because he won't be getting hammered every other play.

Feel free to chime in with any thoughts, I just found this interesting so I thought I'd do a write up to share some of my findings. It seems like so many people want to move on from Bradford but I don't think we've even gotten to see what he's fully capable of. I'm really looking forward to watching him play this year.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's how I feel about Bradford...

He's plenty good enough to get us to the promised land in combination with a decent OC passing philosophy, a strong running game, very capable D, and superior ST.

I don't think there's any question that the Rams possess the latter 3 ingredients.

So I'm optimistic about Bradford's chances for a breakout season this year.

This '14 season should be a great ride...

beej

Rookie
As goes Bradford, so goes the team, so I'm rooting for him and still hoping to become a big fan.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If you look at Wilson's numbers there not that much better than Bradfords year 1 and 3 since he was hurt year 2. Wilson also has been on a much better team.

That being said, I do believe Bradford is the right guy for this team.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you look at Wilson's numbers there not that much better than Bradfords year 1 and 3 since he was hurt year 2. Wilson also has been on a much better team.

That being said, I do believe Bradford is the right guy for this team.

No question the Seahawks were better when Wilson came in than the Rams were when Bradford came in. I like Bradford's outlook this coming year, it's gonna be a good one.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
As goes Bradford, so goes the team, so I'm rooting for him and still hoping to become a big fan.

Haha yep I agree with you. I guess I'm a fan of his right now, but I still don't have one of his jerseys. I think this season is gonna be the determining factor on whether or not I get a Bradford jersey haha. Then you can all consider me a bandwagoner for not jumping on and spending money on his jersey long ago....

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Our offense was really starting to establish themselves right before Bradford got hurt, I have no doubt he'll continue the success he was having before the injury...if he stays upright. He was on pace for 32 TDs last year...

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Thanks for the comments fellas.

But really, is it just me or does it seem like an eternity since Bradford was drafted? Hell, Rodgers is going into his 10th season too. That's hard to believe as well.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Thanks for the comments fellas.

But really, is it just me or does it seem like an eternity since Bradford was drafted? Hell, Rodgers is going into his 10th season too. That's hard to believe as well.

I love the fact that Bradford's next 5 years could be Rodgers'esque. Is that a word?

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
It may be interesting to see how Bradford takes the next step on team leadership and how that translates to what happens on the field this year. I remember when Steven Jackson came in and the dynamics with Faulk. It wasn't until Faulk retired and cleared the way for Jackson to really take on that vocal leadership roll and be more accepted. This is Bradford's time now, the team is built around him, he has the coaches support and coming off a major injury should force him to be even more mentally prepared. Wish him and the team much success.

AZRamsFan93

We all hope you are right and this is the year Sam breaks out.

To be fair, I think your statistical analysis is quite weak. I don't want to take it all apart since it doesn't really matter, but you really lost me when you called Rivers "average" after his 3rd year. He has had a passer rating over 100 in 4 of the past 6 years while throwing for over 4000 yards in all but one of those seasons. In addition, his lowest completion percentage was 63% during that span. That includes last year where he threw for 4478 with 32 TD, 11 INT and a 69.5% completion rate. That, my friend, is not average. Those are All Pro stats.

If Sam had even one year like that there would be no debate or concern about his future.

Again, I hope you are right and Sam tears it up. All I care about is winning.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We all hope you are right and this is the year Sam breaks out.

To be fair, I think your statistical analysis is quite weak. I don't want to take it all apart since it doesn't really matter, but you really lost me when you called Rivers "average" after his 3rd year. He has had a passer rating over 100 in 4 of the past 6 years while throwing for over 4000 yards in all but one of those seasons. In addition, his lowest completion percentage was 63% during that span. That includes last year where he threw for 4478 with 32 TD, 11 INT and a 69.5% completion rate. That, my friend, is not average. Those are All Pro stats.

If Sam had even one year like that there would be no debate or concern about his future.

Again, I hope you are right and Sam tears it up. All I care about is winning.

I agree Rivers is an excellent QB and if he was on the Rams I'd be very happy about it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree Rivers is an excellent QB and if he was on the Rams I'd be very happy about it.
Don't know if he'd want the job, and I'm certain he wouldn't want to play us again. We crushed that guy in 2010.

As it relates to Bradford, I know he's capable of being a great QB. He has all the tools. The one thing he lacks is consistency. But to be fair, this team has been anything BUT consistent since he's been here. This should be the year. If not, then whatever. I'll support the guy until such a time that the team goes in another direction. He deserves respect because he's earned it in my opinion.

AZRamsFan93

Don't know if he'd want the job, and I'm certain he wouldn't want to play us again. We crushed that guy in 2010.

As it relates to Bradford, I know he's capable of being a great QB. He has all the tools. The one thing he lacks is consistency. But to be fair, this team has been anything BUT consistent since he's been here. This should be the year. If not, then whatever. I'll support the guy until such a time that the team goes in another direction. He deserves respect because he's earned it in my opinion.
I will watch every game on the edge of my seat. I believe this team is maturing together and while they will still have their ups and downs, I expect some really good football this year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well I don't know what QB would have wanted the job for the last 4 years LOL.

I agree Bradford has earned the support and respect of the fanbase.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I will watch every game on the edge of my seat. I believe this team is maturing together and while they will still have their ups and downs, I expect some really good football this year.
Agreed. Fisher has a 5 year plan, and his reputation and legacy is tied to how well this team does under his watch. He's been given full autonomy to build this team in his own image, so he'll only have himself to blame if it doesn't work out. One thing is certain though. This isn't the Rams of the near decade before he got here. It's something entirely different.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Our offense was really starting to establish themselves right before Bradford got hurt, I have no doubt he'll continue the success he was having before the injury...if he stays upright. He was on pace for 32 TDs last year...

And that's with abundant drops and penalties. I think someone here projected over 40 touchdowns and over 4000 yards if the drops and penalties were cut in half.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I compare Sam to Eli. Good enough to win big when he has some talent on D and a running game. My fear was he'd was going to end up beat down like Bulger. This team has come a long way since Fisher took control.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle

Yeah I'm not sure what I was thinking when I looked at those stats haha. I was at work and must not have been paying enough attention to his stats. Really ever since 2008 he's be great. I'm sure I'm off on some of the others as well, but again, I was mainly looking at td:int ratio just really quick. Thanks for commenting.

I compare Sam to Eli. Good enough to win big when he has some talent on D and a running game. My fear was he'd was going to end up beat down like Bulger. This team has come a long way since Fisher took control.

Yeah I forgot to include Eli, didn't think of him. That is a good comparison though. They both look kind of goofy at times too lol.