AN Interesting draft from Drafttek.Com.... Includes a move up by the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

Drafted is a long standing computer simulated draft site. Typically they only do trades between the combine and just before the draft unless a trade is made official before the draft. This is their first draft that includes a trade in 2016 with the Ravens that allows the Rams to select Wentz at 6th.

Rams-Ravens Trade!

No comments for CMD#16.

Why? Combine performances could quickly invalidate our results, rendering the mock draft outdated by the weekend. Without the requirement for comments - which take 3 days to prepare - we are quickly able to factor in the exceptional Combine workouts and have mock draft revisions out by the next day.

Since we'll be updating our results frequently over the next week, it seems like a good time to explore some trade possibilities. First up? The Los Angeles Rams. The Rams want a franchise quarterback to kick off their return to LA, and are looking for trade partners. Trading with the Titans at #1 will ensure their choice of the three R1 capable QBs, but it will require a king's ransom. Not wanting to give up this and next year's first-round picks, Ram's GM Les Snead leaves Cleveland alone to select the top QB at pick #2 - Cal's Jared Goff in this case. Snead's next plan is to jump in front of San Francisco at #7 in order to have his choice of the remaining two - Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch. The Baltimore Ravens at #6 are ready to deal! Using this handy trade value chart, the Rams deal their #15, #43 and #107 to Baltimore in exchange for the #6 and the right to select . . . Carson Wentz of North Dakota State!
The draft went this way ( I only show doing the first 3 rounds since Drafttek has not added their compensatory picks:

Rams
Wentz (6th to Rams; Goeff goes 2nd, Lynch goes 20th, Cook goes 63rd and Presscot goes79th.
M. Thomas WR (45th to Rams; Coleman goes 24th, Doctson goes 25th, Fuller goes 26th, Boyd goes 49th, B. Miller goes 65th, P Cooper goes 71st and De'Runnya Wilson goes 94th
Will Redmond CB (goes 76th to Rams)
No compensatory picks
Ravens
Laquon Treadwell (15th) Ram Pick
Scooby Wright (36th)
Shawn Oakman (43rd) Ram pick
Jalen Mills (70th)
# compensatory picks n the 4th & 5th rounds
Questions:

Are you comfortable with the cost of the trade for Wentz or Goeff or do you sit back and let Lynch fall to you? I only do it for Wentz

If this trade is made who wins... Ravens or Rams? slight edge to Ravens since they will end up with 5 picks in the top 150.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think it's a great trade.
Baltimore is where we need to be to grab Goff or Wentz.
Assuming no team trades to #1 with Tenn.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If the Rams move up I think it will be to 4 overall with Dallas. The Cowboys can get defensive value at 15, along with some very good return on the defenders they'd take with the picks they get from the Rams. 4 overall, meanwhile, should be high enough to get either Wentz or Goff. Goff is probably the guy who's there since I think Cleveland will take Wentz, and the deal would have to be contingent on Goff or Wentz being there at 4.

Other option is moving up for Lynch, i.e. ahead of Philly. Much cheaper and Lynch does have a very high ceiling, but when I look at these guys I think Goff helps us quicker and I have zero doubts that he will be a franchise signal caller so hope it's him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd be screaming and crying tears of joy if that happened.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Im all for this, but it only works if the Cowboys pass on a QB and we aren't guaranteed that at this point. Hopefully Jack, Bosa, and Ramsey light it up the combine tomorrow leaving the Cowboys with many clear cut BPA options over a QB

I would be ecstatic if the Rams landed Wentz or Goff in a trade up. I think both have franchise QB potential.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im all for this, but it only works if the Cowboys pass on a QB and we aren't guaranteed that at this point. Hopefully Jack, Bosa, and Ramsey light it up the combine tomorrow leaving the Cowboys with many clear cut BPA options over a QB

I would be ecstatic if the Rams landed Wentz or Goff in a trade up. I think both have franchise QB potential.

I feel very confident that the Cowboys aren't taking a QB at #4.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

Not saying they will, but you can never underestimate the value of a Franchise QB. If the guy Jerry really likes is there he will take him. Especially since Tony Romo's collarbone is as stable as Roger Saffold's shoulders

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I'm thinking DE, you?

If Ramsey is there the boys would take him. Best player in the draft.

I would love this trade as I been pro Wentz from the start, If Wentz ends up in Cle, then I don't do the deal and try trading up "just a few spots" for Lynch. Small frame in ultra tough Div worries me.

Ram65

Legend

Romo @ 36 and hasn't played a whole season in a long time. Watching some NFLN videos they mentioned Dallas may not have another chance to get a franchise QB in the next few years or longer. I think that makes sense. You just don't know with Jerry Jones.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Romo @ 36 and hasn't played a whole season in a long time. Watching some NFLN videos they mentioned Dallas may not have another chance to get a franchise QB in the next few years or longer. I think that makes sense. You just don't know with Jerry Jones.

Well, this is key. After a season where their aging, expensive QB had two major injuries destroying the year - will Jones choose to get the QB he wants most in the draft, or either draft a second tier guy this year or trust to luck in a future season?

And of course, if the Cowboys decide to wait, will another team offer enough in a trade up to get them to move down so another team can draft the top remaining QB at #4?

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I think they would be crazy not to take a QB, especially with Goff or Wentz as the possibilities.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It just depends on how much in love a team gets about a QB.....No one mentions, what if the Niners want Goff or Wentz really bad? They don't have to move up as far as we do and so it won't as much...As for the Cowboys not taking a QB, if Jerry Jones see's a franchise QB in this draft and he's available, how can he not take the most valuable player-position? Especially since his older QB is recovering from surgery?

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think they trade down and go RB.
They can get a good RB in the 2nd. There might not even be one picked in the first round. And it's the kid from Ohio State. The Alabama kid is defintely 2nd round. (Even as good as he is......)

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
It just depends on how much in love a team gets about a QB.....No one mentions, what if the Niners want Goff or Wentz really bad? They don't have to move up as far as we do and so it won't as much...As for the Cowboys not taking a QB, if Jerry Jones see's a franchise QB in this draft and he's available, how can he not take the most valuable player-position? Especially since his older QB is recovering from surgery?

Not sure if anyone has posted his yet but Interesting article here:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/2/29/11134864/trent-baalke-connor-cook-rumor-49ers-2016-nfl-draft

Suggesting Baalke doesn't want to spend a high pick on a QB - instead is looking at Connor Cook in the second

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
They can get a good RB in the 2nd. There might not even be one picked in the first round. And it's the kid from Ohio State. The Alabama kid is defintely 2nd round. (Even as good as he is......)
Absolutely agree. I think they're going Qb if they stay and rb if they trade down. Jerry likes offense. E.E would be right in his wheel house.

They're defense has holes, but they played better than I expected them to last year.