An education in quarterbacking

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
This is an excellent read and ties in nicely with the announcement that Goff will be inactive week 1.

Quarterbacking in the NFL is hard and getting harder for college QBs that come from systems that are generally moving away from the pro style.

After reading this it shouldn't come as a shock that Goff is taking a bit of time to acclimatise.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
What I dont get is why are there headsets in helmets?

Why are coaches holding up signs on the sidelines?

What the hell happened to coaches coach and players play?

It wont be long until the coaches are in the huddle and standing behind the refs.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Too bad there is no longer an NFL Europe League to help transition some more QB's from a college system to something more pro ready. A Farm/Semi Pro League playing in smaller cities like Pro-Baseball does should be profitable & a great way for many to move up the ladder. jmo.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This was a fun read and had some good stuff. This is the biggest truth ever right here:

PQ-1.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Here's the quote from Hue that concerns me most: "You have to know how to raise a guy, from his head all the way down to his feet -- in a league that's designed to bring him to his knees."

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
All the Fans calling for Goff to start and a wasted pick should read this article so they can fully understand the gap between college football and NFL football.
Goff never called a play on his own, he never took a snap from under center. He has to learn a playbook ten times thicker and eight times more complicated than what he had in college. What he will learn by holding the clip board is how a vet prepares his mind and body, observe the game intensety, conversations between QB and coaches and how they solve on going problems during a game.
I agree with how Rams are bringing Goff along. Letting him play when he doesn't fully understand, the "trial by fire" method is just too risky. He could get hurt, destroy his confidence, or turn him into a gun shy QB (Mark Bulger?) NO one can fix a QB who constantly hears footsteps.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Everybody pretty much agrees....But my main nugget...the thing that sticks in my craw (btw, what is a "craw"?) is how so many guys kept arguing, "he's more pro ready..." Like, anyone that brought up the history of these damn spread offenses was tripping...

another read on the topic here...
https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2016/09/08/but-can-he-make-music-thoughts-on-rookie-quarterbacks/

You’re still sensitive, witty, and intelligent. You still have those skills and others but they won’t show up nearly as often when first learning that new language. Goff’s stats show that he’s not handling pressure well and he’s make critical errors but to conclude that he’s lost these skills or analysts were wrong for ever seeing them, glosses over the realities of learning a complex system.

And the West Coast system is the most difficult offense to learn. It’s the most common one in the league because coaches have witnessed how unstoppable it can be when at its best. However, there are few quarterbacks who can run it at that level.

It’s like staring in one band as a tenor saxophonist and then being asked to perform a ballad like the one shown above on the soprano. There are multiple, subtle demands to evoking deep emotions from the audience and the main performer’s flaws are at much greater risk of exposure to the crowd.

Jared Goff’s learning curve is far different but he’s judged along the same standard. RamsWire writer Jeff Smith has done a good job of telling Rams fans to freak out that Goff is the No.3 quarterback after the preseason. Smith is correct that the Rams invested a lot of capital in Goff, analysts (like me) thought Goff was the most pro-ready quarterback in the class, and Goff’s statistics haven’t been good.

But the stats only show that Goff’s results are bad and they way they are presented, there’s a presumption that Goff should display the same qualities that made him productive at Cal. This is a bad presumption.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Too bad there is no longer an NFL Europe League to help transition some more QB's from a college system to something more pro ready. A Farm/Semi Pro League playing in smaller cities like Pro-Baseball does should be profitable & a great way for many to move up the ladder. jmo.

I'm all for that - get a team based in Wales - call it the Welsh Dragons and you'll fill the arena!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Everybody pretty much agrees....But my main nugget...the thing that sticks in my craw (btw, what is a "craw"?) /

Full Definition of craw

1 : the crop of a bird or insect

2 : the stomach especially of a lower animal

"main nugget" kinda fits....lol

I'm totally good w/ Goff sitting. I want him to acclimate to the game first. Wentz is gonna get killed. Philly fans are going to regret seeing Bradford, an experienced starting QB, get traded the week before the start of the season. Prescott is gonna get killed, the Dallas O-line is great but they haven't faced other teams' #1 pass rushers yet. Seimian too--Broncos D is great but they can't make up for rookie QB jitters when he faces the Raiders.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wentz is gonna get killed.
Okay

Prescott is gonna get killed
Okay

Seimian too--Broncos D is great but they can't make up for rookie QB jitters when he faces the Raiders.
Siemian....what happened last night??? I'm telling you, this aint rocket science...while he wasn't polished like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or even Rothlisberger...the kid did all right...and guess what, if he's any good, he'll get better....

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Okay

Okay

Siemian....what happened last night??? I'm telling you, this aint rocket science...while he wasn't polished like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or even Rothlisberger...the kid did all right...and guess what, if he's any good, he'll get better....

Siemian isn't a rookie QB. He sat all last year behind Payton and Oswieller. Never had a snap.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Siemian isn't a rookie QB. He sat all last year behind Payton and Oswieller. Never had a snap.
Never called him a rookie...he's a 7th round pick in 2015....so, to act like he got a bunch of snaps at any time, and isn't completely raw is a stretch too...I'd say, except for this years camp, Mannion has more experience...and was a 3rd round pick...
Point being...it's not hard to get a guy ready to contribute...with a scaled down offense. Against a top 5 defense...

Athos

Legend
All the Fans calling for Goff to start and a wasted pick should read this article so they can fully understand the gap between college football and NFL football.
Goff never called a play on his own, he never took a snap from under center. He has to learn a playbook ten times thicker and eight times more complicated than what he had in college. What he will learn by holding the clip board is how a vet prepares his mind and body, observe the game intensety, conversations between QB and coaches and how they solve on going problems during a game.
I agree with how Rams are bringing Goff along. Letting him play when he doesn't fully understand, the "trial by fire" method is just too risky. He could get hurt, destroy his confidence, or turn him into a gun shy QB (Mark Bulger?) NO one can fix a QB who constantly hears footsteps.

So did Sam and he had no issues dropping back from under center. Clipboard teaching does nothing imo. You learn by QB-ing, not watching.

Hell, Mariota came from the single most GIMMICKY of GIMMICKY college offenses and in 12 games had 19TDs/10INTs/2800 Yards/62.2% completion, and a 91.5 rating. Probably would have finished with 3700 yards and 22ish TDs. About the same numbers as 'pro-style" Winston.

If the Titans can get Mariota prepped enough to look as good as he did in many of the games he started, it's a sad fact the Rams couldn't prep Goff better.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Very interesting article. I would agree, while the physical attributes are good, it's the processing speed that these guys possess is key.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
This is an excellent read and ties in nicely with the announcement that Goff will be inactive week 1.

Quarterbacking in the NFL is hard and getting harder for college QBs that come from systems that are generally moving away from the pro style.

After reading this it shouldn't come as a shock that Goff is taking a bit of time to acclimatise.

"I just want him to feel and sense and absorb the pressures of week number one. He’s going to be a great player and you know as we said from day one we’re not rushing him, we don’t have to rush it so I’m really happy with where he is right now…Jared is in a good place right now. He did some really good things so I’m really pleased with his progress".
- Jeff Fisher

'Nuff said!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This was a fun read and had some good stuff. This is the biggest truth ever right here:

PQ-1.jpg

If you listen to Case Keenum's press conference . He says he likes being the guy with the ball. That is why he plays QB.