Am I correct in thinking, by not signing any high priced FA...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Hankins is intriguing. I will be honest and say, I don't remember his name being called when we played the Colts. A run stuffing 2 down NT would be invaluable, if that is what he brings

Why was he cut?

Money and scheme.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ns-one-year-after-giving-him-27-million-deal/

One year after signing defensive lineman Johnathan Hankins to a three-year, $27 million contract, the Colts cut him.

If the Colts were going to cut him, Saturday was going to be the day. According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, $4.5 million of his $8 million salary would've been fully guaranteed on Sunday.

But it's still surprising -- not just because the Colts signed him to a big contract a year ago, but because he's a good young player and the Colts need good young players. In 2017, Hankins graded out as Pro Football Focus' 20th-best interior defender, one spot ahead of Leonard Williams and two spots behind Stephon Tuitt.

He's not much of a pass-rusher, but he's solid against the run, posting the 14th-best run-stop percentage at his position group, according to Pro Football Focus. Guess who finished in 15th: Aaron Donald.

Obviously, Hankins isn't the same caliber of player as Donald, but he's a solid defensive lineman who will be 26 when next season begins. Teams looking to bolster their defensive lines should be eager to compete for his services.

For the Colts, the move likely comes down to their coaching change, which has them switching defensive schemes. Citing a league source, Stephen Holder of the The Indianapolis Star reported that the scheme change "was the driving force behind the decision to part with Hankins." Holder also reported that the move saves the Colts roughly $8.5 million against the cap after they paid him $10.5 million for his services in 2017.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't necessarily agree with that, but Hankins is more than a guy who stands in the doorway. The NT we've been scouting hard, Tim Settle, has a lot of similarities to Hankins. Hankins has the athleticism to get into the back-field. He's not just a clogger.

Hankins is intriguing. I will be honest and say, I don't remember his name being called when we played the Colts. A run stuffing 2 down NT would be invaluable, if that is what he brings

Why was he cut?

Hankins is more than a two-down NT imo. In his first year as a starter as a Giant, he had 7 sacks. That's not going to be the norm for him, but in Wade's aggressive scheme with the talent around him, he's capable of picking up 4-5 sacks a year. He's got pass rushing chops that are on the same level as Brockers. Hankins has great quickness and movement skills for his size. He's a guy who can make QBs uncomfortable from the inside. When he came out, he was considered to be a guy who had the versatility to play 3-Tech, 1-Tech, and 0-Tech.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't necessarily agree with that, but Hankins is more than a guy who stands in the doorway. The NT we've been scouting hard, Tim Settle, has a lot of similarities to Hankins. Hankins has the athleticism to get into the back-field. He's not just a clogger.

Hankins is more than a two-down NT imo. In his first year as a starter as a Giant, he had 7 sacks. That's not going to be the norm for him, but in Wade's aggressive scheme with the talent around him, he's capable of picking up 4-5 sacks a year. He's got pass rushing chops that are on the same level as Brockers. Hankins has great quickness and movement skills for his size. He's a guy who can make QBs uncomfortable from the inside. When he came out, he was considered to be a guy who had the versatility to play 3-Tech, 1-Tech, and 0-Tech.

He seems like a perfect fit. His contract is not excessive and he is still young... I'm with you, we keep our compensatory picks and fill a major hole. Making the defense instantly better at stopping the run, helping our edge rushers and middle LBs

I came across this... perhaps we should have traded a 2019 7th, but even so, would be excited if we sign him to four year deal. LA is a huge market, we can afford it if he plays up to his contract, which it appears he would

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...rized-free-agent-johnathan-hankins/435162002/

The Indianapolis Colts have released their biggest free-agent signing from 2017 one year into his deal.

The Colts have cut defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins, who they signed last March to a three-year, $27 million deal, in their second surprising move of the day.

The decision to cut Hankins comes when the Colts are moving to a new 4-3 defensive system under coordinator Matt Eberflus. This, according to a league source, was the driving force behind the decision to part with Hankins.

Hankins was a productive and disruptive player on the Colts’ defense in 2017, quickly becoming one of its best performers. He certainly demonstrated no lack of talent and lived up to the contract he was awarded. But in 2018, the switch to a speed-based defense appears to have changed the team’s view of Hankins’ fit. The major emphasis on speed and quickness would, theoretically, limit Hankins’ effectiveness in the new scheme.

Hankins, 25, immediately becomes a free agent, and a coveted one, at that.

For the Colts, the move was not financially-driven, but it does save them some cash. The Colts will reap an immediate $8.468 million in salary-cap savings. Because of the structure of Hankins’ deal, the Colts will carry no dead money on their salary cap. Hankins’ $10.5 million in compensation for 2017 all hit the Colts’ cap last year.

It's not clear whether the Colts tried to trade Hankins. But that effort likely would have been undermined by a trigger in his contract that would have guaranteed $4.5 million of his 2018 base salary if he was still on the roster by Sunday. Because other teams knew the Colts were facing a deadline to make a decision on Hankins, they would have had little leverage in any trade talks because Hankins being cut was the likeliest outcome.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@TheTackle
Agreed. I think it would have been smart of us to maybe offer something like a swap of our 6th round (#24) for their 7th rounder (#3). Hankins' contract would have been very manageable for 2018 and 2019 ($8.5 million per year with nothing guaranteed in 2019).

Ram65

Legend
Hankins is more than a two-down NT imo. In his first year as a starter as a Giant, he had 7 sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/player/johnathanhankins/2540147/profile

He was a part time player and that was 2013. Rams could use some pressure up the middle but, I don't think they can afford 9 Million or so a year for a NT. At this point I'm not sure what they can afford. If they went long term 5 years at around 7 Million a year they might swing it

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Colts are switching from 3-4 defense to Tampa 2 4-3 under Frank Reich. The Rams now employ a 3-4 defense under Wade Phillips, so it sounds like a good fit to me but we'll have to outbid the numerous suitors for his services.
I would go after him, but price will be a factor! JMO