Am I correct in thinking, by not signing any high priced FA...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Starter
We will receive two 3rd round compensatory picks for Watkins and Johnson

If so, then this extremely smart and shows how well our front office is functioning.

If we want to extend our Superbowl window, then we need to replicate the Patriot and Ravens model. The most important thing is to build a championship winning defense and an offensive line that can protect Goff. Then build him into a QB who can make hay with a constantly evolving cast of skill players. Thus, I would not be surprised to see even Gurley traded before his contract ends

We made some big mistakes in the draft under Fisher, which I put down to arrogance. While we as fans do not have access to all the information, nearly all of those 'head scratching' picks did turn out to be a disaster. We were not unlucky with Quick, Robinson, Pead, Mason & Austin. There were better players, with better CVs and film - sometimes at the same position. I will not bring the pain, by revealing who we might have picked in their place, but will say that last year was more even, less flashy and importantly, solid...

We have some of the biggest stars in the game under one roof, we just need to keep adding solid-quality pieces, because even average players can elevate their game considerably when they sense something special is happening around them...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I've been hearing the same thing. Getting a 3rd round comp pick or two would take some of the sting out of losing that 2nd rounder for Watkins.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The early estimations are that the Rams will get two thirds - but things can still happen. For instance, playing time matters. If one of them were to shred their knee in training camp, then that would reduce the pick received. At this stage there doesn't seem to be any comp eligible free agents that the Rams would break the bank for, so that likely won't be a factor - if a player is cut, then comp doesn't factor in.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams are more focused on the CAP than comp picks. They've fixed three big CAP hits (Quinn, Ogletree, Austin) and said no to Tru and Sammy because they wanted too much money. It makes little sense to dump all of that money in a high priced FA who might not workout. They're doing the smart thing in focusing on retaining our players, and there will be more that need to he retained in the upcoming season(s). They'll probably pick up a few low priced role players later on.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The early estimations are that the Rams will get two thirds - but things can still happen. For instance, playing time matters. If one of them were to shred their knee in training camp, then that would reduce the pick received. At this stage there doesn't seem to be any comp eligible free agents that the Rams would break the bank for, so that likely won't be a factor - if a player is cut, then comp doesn't factor in.

I think, from what I have read in the past, it's pretty cut and dry so there is not much judgement inolved. It really comes down to the guaranteed money in the 1st two years of the deal that determines the compensation. Not much more or less to it.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Patriots yes, Ravens...not so much. After the super bowl the Ravens blew their team up and have never been the same since. They had a lot of very good/elite veterans and some promising young talent. They released pretty much everyone,and some obviously retired, but that's the exact opposite of what i want for our team. I dont want to be a one and done team like the Ravens, the patriots model is what we need to follow.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Patriots yes, Ravens...not so much. After the super bowl the Ravens blew their team up and have never been the same since. They had a lot of very good/elite veterans and some promising young talent. They released pretty much everyone,and some obviously retired, but that's the exact opposite of what i want for our team. I dont want to be a one and done team like the Ravens, the patriots model is what we need to follow.

The pats have a system that works because they don't let any one player become bigger than the team. Brady has even taken pay cuts so they can sign other people. With that said, are you prepared to lose AD? If the Rams truly follow that model they could easily trade him to the highest bidder and get a but load of picks and players in a trade. And honestly I'd be all about it. Why? Because DTs don't win championships.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think, from what I have read in the past, it's pretty cut and dry so there is not much judgement inolved. It really comes down to the guaranteed money in the 1st two years of the deal that determines the compensation. Not much more or less to it.

The sites that study it say that the three big factors is the contract size, playing time, and post-season honors. The ones who claim that tend to be pretty good at predicting the picks before they're announced, so I tend to believe them - though the exact formula is secret. But yes, contract seems to be the biggest factor

Zodi

Hall of Fame
And honestly I'd be all about it. Why? Because DTs don't win championships.

Maybe not, but future hall of fame'rs do.

Trading Donald for picks because it's time to pay the man is like selling your house and buying lottery tickets because you couldn't afford the mortgage anymore.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've been hearing the same thing. Getting a 3rd round comp pick or two would take some of the sting out of losing that 2nd rounder for Watkins.
I couldn't agree more! I hated losing Watkins so soon, but he wasn't worth the money he is going to be getting!!

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

The sites that study it say that the three big factors is the contract size, playing time, and post-season honors. The ones who claim that tend to be pretty good at predicting the picks before they're announced, so I tend to believe them - though the exact formula is secret. But yes, contract seems to be the biggest factor

Another factor is who did the Rams sign? If they signed a couple huge contracts in FA, it would count against what we lost.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This^ sounds like you may be on to something flv!(y):D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Plus, you can sign cut players without them counting against you in the formula. It's why I'm so interested in Suh or Hankins.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Maybe not, but future hall of fame'rs do.

Trading Donald for picks because it's time to pay the man is like selling your house and buying lottery tickets because you couldn't afford the mortgage anymore.

Actually it's like buying low and selling high.
I love AD and what he brings to the table but he's not bigger than this team and the second he becomes a hindrance on our cap and signing players like, gurley, Goff, kupp, Peters or future pics that end up being being ballers. It's exactly how teams go one and done.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Actually it's like buying low and selling high.

No. If you buy real estate low and sell high, you get a return on investment in the form of guaranteed cash. If you trade a consensus future hall of fame'r for draft picks, you're giving up a sure thing for a gamble to save some coin. A draft pick is a lottery ticket.

Not everyone team is or can be the Patriots-- who gave Gilmore $12 mil a year, no? Look at teams like the Steelers, Packers, Manning's Colts, hay day Seahags, etc. Draft your players, invest in them, and don't get caught in the trap that is filling voids on your team through free agents with inflated price tags.

Donald, Gurley and Goff are crucial for this teams future success. Hopefully Marcus Peters gets added to that list. There's no reason why we can't re-sign all three (or four) of those guys to long term deals.

TheTackle

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Plus, you can sign cut players without them counting against you in the formula. It's why I'm so interested in Suh or Hankins.

Hankins is intriguing. I will be honest and say, I don't remember his name being called when we played the Colts. A run stuffing 2 down NT would be invaluable, if that is what he brings

Why was he cut?

Ranma

Rookie
Hankins is intriguing. I will be honest and say, I don't remember his name being called when we played the Colts. A run stuffing 2 down NT would be invaluable, if that is what he brings

Why was he cut?

Colts are switching from 3-4 defense to Tampa 2 4-3 under Frank Reich. The Rams now employ a 3-4 defense under Wade Phillips, so it sounds like a good fit to me but we'll have to outbid the numerous suitors for his services.