Allow Bradford to Make His Mark Now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Randy Karraker
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/17/allow-bradford-to-make-his-mark-now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/17/all ... -mark-now/</a>

i

It’s the time of year when people like to rank the NFL’s quarterbacks. CBSSports.com did a ranking, Football Outsiders had one recently and, of course, ESPN.com and the Mother Ship have theirs on the way. I’m not at all dismayed or bothered by the lower-teens ranking of the Rams’ Sam Bradford, because his numbers don’t reflect elite status yet.

Yes, his statistics over three years scream mediocre. What dismays me, however, is the number of St. Louisans who ostensibly should be the people that see Bradford the most, who insist that he’s a lower-tier player that has no chance to get better. Last season, he was the 18th-rated passer in the NFL. The wide receivers he was throwing to were rookie Chris Givens, Brandon Gibson, Steve Smith, Austin Pettis and, for about half the season, Danny Amendola.

The Rams’ starting offensive line on opening day in Detroit was, left to right, Rodger Saffold, Rokevious Watkins, Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl and Barry Richardson. That group was together for less than a half. In Week 2, the Rams had taken Quinn Ojinnaka off the scrap heap to play left guard in place of Watkins, and Robert Turner started for Wells at center. Then Safford got hurt, and in game three the Rams started their third line combination in three games. Watkins was out for the year, but the Rams finally got Saffold and Wells back on the field together for Week 12 against Arizona, and went 4-2 from there.

As every serious football fan knows, offensive success starts on the offensive line and ends in the hands of receivers. Unfortunately for the Rams and Bradford, the Rams didn’t get much started in the first half of last season. In the first 10 games, they averaged 17 points a game. In the last six, they averaged 21 per game. In the first 10 games, he was sacked an average of 2.5 times a game. In the last six, it was 1.5.

Not only are those numbers part of a bigger picture, but so are the receivers who emerged during the season. Givens didn’t play early and got better as the season went along. Tight end Lance Kendricks got better, and Pettis made 16 of his 30 catches and had his three best games among his last five.

So, to summarize, Bradford was throwing to a young, emerging receiving corps and was working behind a tattered offensive line. Once the line got together and developed some chemistry, it protected the quarterback better. The receivers matured, and the quarterback’s numbers improved. He averaged 224 yards in the first 10 games, 243 in the last six. He averaged 1.2 touchdowns in the first 10, 1.5 in the last six. And Bradford doesn’t lose games, throwing just 13 interceptions.

When the chips were down, Bradford came through. Four of the Rams’ seven wins were comebacks led by Bradford, as was their tie in San Francisco.

Yet we still get texts like this one: “Ok if Bradford has an average year, do the rams look at a QB high in the draft next year?” Should that be the goal? After spending three years providing Bradford a revolving door at offensive coordinator and quarterback coach, and finally adding some players around him, do you want to start over?

Here’s another one: “If Bradford keeps taking baby steps, we’ll have an Alex Smith situation in STL. Time to win or #HitTheBricks.” Certainly the Rams want to win, but to suggest they should replace him if he has another year like last year’s Super Bowl champion quarterback is a bit drastic (Bradford and Joe Flacco of Baltimore had virtually identical passing seasons). The potential free agents after next season are Jay Cutler, Rex Grossman, Chad Henne, Shaun Hill, Josh and Luke McCown, Seneca Wallace and Charlie Whitehurst. Do you see an upgrade over Bradford there? Do you want Mark Sanchez? He might be available. Perhaps there will be talented rookies, but let’s not get too sold on the idea of drafting another Russell Wilson. The Rams will not have a top-two pick in the draft, so getting an Andrew Luck or RGIII is not probable.

Another text to The Fast Lane: “I am a Bradford fan but if the rams don’t finish the year with a winning percentage we might be seeing Aaron Murray in a Rams jersey next year.” So, you’re going to judge a quarterback solely on the team’s winning percentage? If the Panthers have a second straight losing season, should they replace Cam Newton? If Pittsburgh doesn’t have a winning season for a second year in a row, should it cut Ben Roethlisberger? What if the defense doesn’t live up to the hype? What about injuries? I just can’t fathom my team acting in such an outrageous, egregious, preposterous manner.

I understand that the haters are a vocal minority. But as a longtime observer, I believe they need to be careful what they wish for. The alternative might not be that attractive.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Man is Bradford generating an awful lot of writing lately. He's gotta be sick of seeing his name in print right about now.

I like RK and I like how he discusses his feelings and opinion of Bradford without the comparisons to PManning, Aikman and other guys and their first few years. I always felt those were poor comparisons because of the changes in the rules allowing the passing game to blossom. Randy writes the best stuff on this topic out of all the sports guys in STL, you can tell he likes Bradford and is a fan but he is objective and analytical about the situation both then and now.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Great article. Makes me feel foolish for what doubts I have in Sam... almost. Now go kick some ass kid.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
If I'm remembering correctly, last year Randy was saying the Rams should dump Bradford. I think Randy is a bit of a flip flopper. Apparently, now he's a Bradford supporter again.

I was high on Bradford when we drafted him and even higher on him during his rookie year just like the media was when he was being hailed as the best young QB in 10 years. Jimmy Johnson said Sam was better than Matt Ryan. Howie Long said Sam never threw a bad ball. Well, the garbage supporting cast, major coaching and system changes, and ridiculous injuries took a major toll on Bradford by year two, yet folks aren't quite willing to give him a pass.

Truth be told, I was worried about him until the Redskins game last year. He showed me he still had what I saw in his rookie year. The kid just needs stability and a decent supporting cast. That's all he ever needed.

Venturi said he likes that Sam doesn't turn the ball over, but that he doesn't take enough chances either. Well, I think that is a shortsighted statement by Rick. Why would he expect Bradford to take chances with the mess he had at WR? Bradford isn't stupid, and he didn't trust his receivers. Heck, Venturi said the Rams had Wall-Mart receivers. How to you take chance with that?

There is a great deal of apprehension this year, rightly so. Sam finally has a decent OL and some receivers who can threaten a defense. The world knows it's all on Bradford now to show what he's all about. Clearly, Sam knows it too. I think he has been quietly preparing to light up the NFL this year. The kid knows what he can do. Given a fighting chance, he can be deadly accurate and get rid of the ball extremely quickly. I've seen him throw well on the run, and improvise with savvy receivers. He just looked bad with junk receivers, a mess at OL, and a revolving door at OC. I make no apologies for not holding that against him and questioning if he is any good. The kid is a superb talent, who never had a chance until now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
max said:
If I'm remembering correctly, last year Randy was saying the Rams should dump Bradford. I think Randy is a bit of a flip flopper. Apparently, now he's a Bradford supporter again.

I was high on Bradford when we drafted him and even higher on him during his rookie year just like the media was when he was being hailed as the best young QB in 10 years. Jimmy Johnson said Sam was better than Matt Ryan. Howie Long said Sam never threw a bad ball. Well, the garbage supporting cast, major coaching and system changes, and ridiculous injuries took a major toll on Bradford by year two, yet folks aren't quite willing to give him a pass.

Truth be told, I was worried about him until the Redskins game last year. He showed me he still had what I saw in his rookie year. The kid just needs stability and a decent supporting cast. That's all he ever needed.

Venturi said he likes that Sam doesn't turn the ball over, but that he doesn't take enough chances either. Well, I think that is a shortsighted statement by Rick. Why would he expect Bradford to take chances with the mess he had at WR? Bradford isn't stupid, and he didn't trust his receivers. Heck, Venturi said the Rams had Wall-Mart receivers. How to you take chance with that?

There is a great deal of apprehension this year, rightly so. Sam finally has a decent OL and some receivers who can threaten a defense. The world knows it's all on Bradford now to show what he's all about. Clearly, Sam knows it too. I think he has been quietly preparing to light up the NFL this year. The kid knows what he can do. Given a fighting chance, he can be deadly accurate and get rid of the ball extremely quickly. I've seen him throw well on the run, and improvise with savvy receivers. He just looked bad with junk receivers, a mess at OL, and a revolving door at OC. I make no apologies for not holding that against him and questioning if he is any good. The kid is a superb talent, who never had a chance until now.
Are you sure that was Karraker last year? Could it have been McCrite? I always thought Karraker was one of the more reasonable 'analysts' on that staff. Other than that, I agree with erryting you say mon.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
max said:

Are you sure that was Karraker last year? Could it have been McCrite? I always thought Karraker was one of the more reasonable 'analysts' on that staff. Other than that, I agree with erryting you say mon.

I check. I remembered zn making a big fuss about it on his "old" board. But then it was corrected as being a joke by Randy. So I think you're right. It was McCrite as the Bradford basher.

Bottom line is the QB always takes more than his fair share of the blame when the team doesn't win. It takes either a thoughtful observer or a blind Rams player lover to stick with a QB like Bradford. I profess to not being much of the latter. I certainly bash Rams players whom I view as subpar. But I'm sticking with Sam, and I wouldn't trade him for any QB in our division. He will be better than Wilson and Kaepernick, and it won't be long. Mark my words.

zn
Added via edit: Dak below tells me I am wrong in this post and that Karraker was joking, not seriously writing off Bradford.

I was listening to 101 the week after the Jets game and at that point Karraker was directly and openly saying that the team should consider moving on from Bradford and that the majority of fans agreed with him.

Yeah he directly said that. Farr was in the discussion going "really."

That same week is when McCrite said "just breath on him and Bradford feels pressure. It's the one constant across 3 years." That's a direct quote.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
max said:
[hil]He will be better than Wilson and Kaepernick, and it won't be long[/hil]. Mark my words.
Done. :cheese:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
max said:
X said:
max said:
[hil]He will be better than Wilson and Kaepernick, and it won't be long[/hil]. Mark my words.

Have no fear. I stand by it, unreservedly.

I don't think unreservedly is a real word. I think you got that word from Don King.

:mrgreen:

…..

Legend
It obvious we've run out of viable things to discuss...I think this is the 3rd print article, and 4th or 5th mention of Sam Bradford this week!

so...the sam bradford discussion shall continue. I've already seen enough this week to make me perfectly comfortable that the Sam bradford debates will go on for evermore.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
LesBaker said:
max said:
X said:
max said:

Have no fear. I stand by it, unreservedly.

I don't think unreservedly is a real word. I think you got that word from Don King.

:mrgreen:

Actually, I got it from a Fish Called Wanda.