Allen Day To Day: MCL Sprain

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What a relief:

McVay: Brian Allen day-to-day with MCL sprain, not being immediately ruled out for Cardinals game​

Dec 06, 2021 at 04:56 PM
Stu Jackson of the Los Angeles Rams headshot, Thursday, May 20, 2021, in Thousand Oaks, CA. (Jeff Lewis/LA Rams)

Stu Jackson
Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Rams head coach Sean McVay on Monday said offensive lineman Brian Allen is day-to-day after suffering an MCL sprain in his right knee in Sunday's win over the Jaguars.

"We'll just kind of take it a day at a time with him," McVay said during a video conference Monday. "Definitely, that's good news." McVay said they are not immediately ruling out Allen for Monday Night Football against the Cardinals, but that they would be "smart" with him this week.

Allen was injured on the Rams' first offensive snap against the Jaguars and did not return to the game. He was replaced by Coleman Shelton, whom McVay praised for his steadiness, command and communication in Sunday's game. "Hopefully we'll be able to get Brian back, but I certainly have a whole lot confidence in Coleman if he's got to go this week," McVay said.

McVay also said Robert Rochell "got a little bit of a rib deal" on the punt he downed inside the 1-yard line against Jaguars. "He's going to be sore," McVay said. "We'll see how he manages the pain throughout the course of the week, but I would expect him not to practice early on."

TexasRam

Legend
Impressions of Coleman Shelton? Anyone?

Bueller?
I re-watched the game focusing specifically on Shelton. Besides that one play where he got beat on the run block where his man tackled our RB in the backfield, I thought he played a really solid game. He showed more quickness then I remembered in preseason. He was really good in all phases and looked like a season vet. In preseason there were numerous breakdowns but I didn't see any of that vs the Jags. Not screwing up the snap even once and handling the calls was spot on. That seems rare for a backup center.

As we have seen with Allen, consistency is they key. These lineman can have a few solid games then really struggle in other games. Allen for example has had some highly rated games but got eaten alive vs Simmons of TENN and struggled vs vs Hicks when not getting help. Sometimes its the competition. Sometimes we find out they struggle with speed or power. So we will see. So far solid job.

Kromer does a great job giving these centers help either from another guard or from the TE/RB in the backfield. Often Edwards and sometimes Corbett are doing the heavy one-on-one lifting knowing Allen and now Shelton are not exactly top tier centers. So everything is relatively speaking. I've seen some people mention re-signing Allen over someone like Corbs or Edwards. Uhh no. Those guards are very high level guards. If they get beat it's usually in the context of one-on-one matchups and its honestly rare, compared to the help our centers constantly are given.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, Shelton had a solid game. A few hiccups here and there, the snaps came back quick a few a tad high, but nothing Stafford could not handle. Seem to be communicating well and held up in pass protection. He stepped on Stafford foot once on a run play, but seem to apologies continuously for it. Whitworth was doing his coaching up on the sideline, which I loved.

Overall Shelton is taller then Allen at 6-4 and that seems accurate, which did give him some advantages on leverage in pass protection. Cardinals will be a tougher test, but Shelton answered the call and that is all you can ask.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Good thing we have Creed Humphrey waiting in the wings.....oh yeah, nevermind lol

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Shelton big difference to Stafford. Allen snaps the ball right handed. Shelton snaps the ball left handed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shelton big difference to Stafford. Allen snaps the ball right handed. Shelton snaps the ball left handed.
Good note there Bubba. And I'll add that it's common for backups to show well in limited snaps but where the cracks in their game start to show is as you go forward and defenses are gameplanning vs those weaknesses.

I'm real happy that he played well. But a bit concerned what it's going to look like if he has to go vs Arizona. They have an excellent DC who will challenge A gaps pre-snap and put heat on him, we can bank on that.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Could you imagine someone actually stating that in a court room.
I probably would. During jury selection for a trial with gang enhancements the judge asked me what I thought about gangs. I told him the only good gang member is a dead gang member. He thanked me for my time and quickly dismissed me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I probably would. During jury selection for a trial with gang enhancements the judge asked me what I thought about gangs. I told him the only good gang member is a dead gang member. He thanked me for my time and quickly dismissed me.
One time I was in jury duty and one woman asked how long the trial could go as she was in a travelling ministry.

They let her go. I thought, damn that was a slick move.

I wasn't sharp enough to play those kind of angles and got selected.
:D

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm that weirdo that would gladly do jury duty, but I can't.

With a seizure disorder and daily migraines, there's a high probability that I wouldn't be able to be on any jury as the wicked ass migraines can strike literally at any time.

Getting woken up by a real zinger is the strangest. It's like getting woken up BECAUSE of a hangover...