All star officiating crew.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This speaks volumes, that the NFL felt they needed to hand pick a few refs for this game. Are the refs so bad that it takes the very best to enforce rules correctly?

Wasn’t it the Green Bay game that the DBs were permitted to grab and pull? Non of that was allowed in this game. Why were the Patriots allowed to do it in a Suprrbowl?!

So either the NFL refs suck overall, or they are instructed to allow or disallow certain tactics. Reid clearly thought he could get away with what Green Bay did going into that game. Why should he think that if it’s against the rules?

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Yea a couple of head scratching calls against our boys and some that went unaccounted for especially those damn block in the backs at a crucial point in the game, but I do agree too there were some non-calls that could’ve easily been called against us so I’ll live with it since the result fell in our favor! :D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well Chiefs fans are ticked too, I guess no one is happy about the refs.

I thought that it was well officiated overall. They missed the helmet to helmet on Goff, and a few other things but I am so used to horrible officiating, so this was pretty good.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well Chiefs fans are ticked too, I guess no one is happy about the refs.

All depends on what side you're on, I thought it was well officiated, best in a while. Now a few calls went our way, but considering how things have gone this season, they should even out. As to Chief fans, well, Ram fans have been dealing with this much longer and maybe when you play the Steelers or Patsies, it will go your way.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I thought that it was well officiated overall. They missed the helmet to helmet on Goff, and a few other things but I am so used to horrible officiating, so this was pretty good.

All depends on what side you're on, I thought it was well officiated, best in a while. Now a few calls went our way, but considering how things have gone this season, they should even out. As to Chief fans, well, Ram fans have been dealing with this much longer and maybe when you play the Steelers or Patsies, it will go your way.
I also thought it was well officiated, there were some misses on both sides but it happenes. I was more so pointing out that both fanbases always seem to moan that the refs are terrible and only screwing their team specifically. It used to be that the refs call to many flags and now fans are crying for a flag.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I also thought it was well officiated, there were some misses on both sides but it happenes. I was more so pointing out that both fanbases always seem to moan that the refs are terrible and only screwing their team specifically. It used to be that the refs call to many flags and now fans are crying for a flag.

I never felt that they threw too many. Game length never bothered me as much as teams getting away with shit.

dang

Legend
There was a concerted approach to calling this game tighter than normal regular season games. For the most part that helped the Rams as Chiefs flags were raining early.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I thought it was well officiated when we were behind.

Win or lose, I thought they let some things go on both sides, but overall called a solid and consistent game.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Going into the game the chiefs were the more penelized team overall. A game called more by the book always favors the least penelized team.

More then a few of you know how rough I've been on the refs this season and I feel this has been the best officiated game all year.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Going into the game the chiefs were the more penelized team overall. A game called more by the book always favors the least penelized team.

More then a few of you know how rough I've been on the refs this season and I feel this has been the best officiated game all year.

Same for me, brother.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
IMO You can't believe in quality officiating when major parts of the rules are being ignored, on purpose, to create more offense. You can't let the officials decide when to then make calls for breaking rules that otherwise are being ignored 99% of the time. Doing so creates OLs that then hold with impunity (why not, they allow it 99% of the time) and creates the conditions where refs can then decide when to call holding, for example. It creates the conditions where fans start to wonder if there are hidden agendas to the way certain games are being called. Narrative fixing, I don't believe it, but it may be true. Parity policing, I definitely believe the refs often favor the underdog or losing team to try to make a more 'competitive' game. D holding against DBs they still enforce (favors more offense) as well as O holding on running plays (though they still miss a shit ton). But they don't try to enforce O holding on pass plays (favors more offense) and when they do call the rare penalty (maybe twice a game, if that) I believe they often do it for parity policing purposes. My biggest complaint is they should not let the refs get away with this. I believe the refs have been taught/instructed to call the games the way they do. It's BS. They should change the rules to reflect the way they are now refereeing the game, or actually employ more/competent refs to call the game straight up.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
IMO You can't believe in quality officiating when major parts of the rules are being ignored, on purpose, to create more offense. You can't let the officials decide when to then make calls for breaking rules that otherwise are being ignored 99% of the time. Doing so creates OLs that then hold with impunity (why not, they allow it 99% of the time) and creates the conditions where refs can then decide when to call holding, for example. It creates the conditions where fans start to wonder if there are hidden agendas to the way certain games are being called. Narrative fixing, I don't believe it, but it may be true. Parity policing, I definitely believe the refs often favor the underdog or losing team to try to make a more 'competitive' game. D holding against DBs they still enforce (favors more offense) as well as O holding on running plays (though they still miss a crap ton). But they don't try to enforce O holding on pass plays (favors more offense) and when they do call the rare penalty (maybe twice a game, if that) I believe they often do it for parity policing purposes. My biggest complaint is they should not let the refs get away with this. I believe the refs have been taught/instructed to call the games the way they do. It's BS. They should change the rules to reflect the way they are now refereeing the game, or actually employ more/competent refs to call the game straight up.

In general, that's been my take.

However, in this last game, I saw an equal amount of "let them play" on the OL and they were willing to call egregious holds. In almost all the cases, the OL would have an arm wrapped around and then release. It's still holding, but that was clear that as long as the OL released, they wouldn't call it. Both the LG on AD and Whitworth had instances of this.

The point was that it was called consistently and fairly.

If I had any beef it would have been the spearing call on Hill and the lack of a spearing call on the defender who hit Goff.

They didn't want to decide the game, but they called it much tighter than we've seen in ANY other game this year.

All year, it's felt like we haven't had many penalties, but they were crucial in helping the opposition.

This past game was the first game that didn't feel like we had to defeat the opponent AND the refs.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Overall, I think they called a fair game. I’m not used to us getting too many favorable calls so,,,,, They definitely were a little tick tacky early on as if somebody wanted the Rams to get off to a quick start.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Like I said I saw one bad call...

Some of you dudes are funny... you really want every penalty to be called in a game?

That's horrible guys sorry - like watching a basketball game with 899 free throws.

This thread was kind of an experiment and pretty much what I thought - the officals will never win in the eyes of the fans.

It's not possible (too many different perspectives)
I don't want them to call a million penalties. I want the players to play by the rules and, barring that, I want the refs to penalize players that don't so that they will.

Why have rules if we're not going to enforce them? You really want them to play a game without any rules?

And before you come back with a "some penalties" or "just the right amount of penalties" answer, let me all you this: who gets to decide what that is?

Once the decision to call or not call a clear and decisive penalty is subjective, then there is no pleasing everyone or anyone. If every penalty is called and it's called the same for every team, every time, then no one can complain because they're all being treated equally.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I can live with some bad officiating, as long as the Rams get some in their favor, which happened in the Chiefs game and I honestly can't say it happened much in our other 10 games.

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't want them to call a million penalties. I want the players to play by the rules and, barring that, I want the refs to penalize players that don't so that they will.

Why have rules if we're not going to enforce them? You really want them to play a game without any rules?

And before you come back with a "some penalties" or "just the right amount of penalties" answer, let me all you this: who gets to decide what that is?

Once the decision to call or not call a clear and decisive penalty is subjective, then there is no pleasing everyone or anyone. If every penalty is called and it's called the same for every team, every time, then no one can complain because they're all being treated equally.

My point is that it doesn't matter - at least 50% of the penalties they call people are going to bitch about.

Objectivity and sports fans don't go together very well.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have given up on this issue and just accepted the fact that they are always going to suck and it is ruining the game!