Alexander hopes to replace McLeod at free safety

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
If I'm not mistaken no is faster then McLeod

You are not wrong Mcleod ran a 4.6 at his pro day and those numbers aren't always reliable. In fact Rod ran slower than TJ and Mo who ran a 4.59 and 4.54 at the combine respectively and both weighed nearly 40 more pounds than Rod in college.

I am interested in seeing how this shakes out. Our two best safeties on the roster are probably better off at SS and with TJ out at OTAs with his legal issues Mo is getting most of his reps at SS not FS. TJ and Mo are a big and fast, but our top FS options Cody Davis, Christian Bryant, and Brian Randolph are even faster and profile as better coverage safeties.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
One thing I've not heard Williams called is clueless..I'm not really sure where that comes from...With all due respect to my Rams buds here, I would trust Gregg Williams judgment over folks from here...Maybe I'm missing something...

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
We do not know what was in his systems (except it was not booze). We also do not know if he was in the substance abuse protocol. We do know that he was driving under the influence of something not alcohol and HIT some structure. Not good.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing I've not heard Williams called is clueless..I'm not really sure where that comes from...With all due respect to my Rams buds here, I would trust Gregg Williams judgment over folks from here...Maybe I'm missing something...
I think it was a blue font comment.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
You are not wrong Mcleod ran a 4.6 at his pro day and those numbers aren't always reliable. In fact Rod ran slower than TJ and Mo who ran a 4.59 and 4.54 at the combine respectively and both weighed nearly 40 more pounds than Rod in college.

The numbers are relatively the same if you you figure in turf, handle vs computer timing. It is not a question of speed. The only one that has a significant speed advantage is Davis. But I am not sold on his instincts or recognition abilities.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
We do not know what was in his systems (except it was not booze). We also do not know if he was in the substance abuse protocol. We do know that he was driving under the influence of something not alcohol and HIT some structure. Not good.

Whole lot of "do not know's" in there, Orchid.

What if he was "under the influence" of a medicine that makes you drowsy, like NyQuil?

A suspension for a first offense? I'm just not seeing it.

So many other players have done so much more without a suspension is all I'm saying.

Unless there are unknown facts that are being withheld, I do not foresee a suspension.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Whole lot of "do not know's" in there, Orchid.

What if he was "under the influence" of a medicine that makes you drowsy, like NyQuil?

A suspension for a first offense? I'm just not seeing it.

So many other players have done so much more without a suspension is all I'm saying.

Unless there are unknown facts that are being withheld, I do not foresee a suspension.

The point is we do not know. But he was driving under the influence. We do not know what the "influence" was. Per NFL protocol we do not know the first offensive until the second. So at this point it could be a whole host of disciplinary actions.

Oh and the killer, the Rams are treating him just like Mason.... stay away from us.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Okay, kidding aside: If Mo really has a chance to play FS well, he will have taken a huge leap from last year to this year and an astronomical leap from 2014 till now. I'm all for that... I just won't believe it till I see it.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Okay, kidding aside: If Mo really has a chance to play FS well, he will have taken a huge leap from last year to this year and an astronomical leap from 2014 till now. I'm all for that... I just won't believe it till I see it.
I'm all for depth. Injuries happen. Free Agency happens. (As we saw this year) But dang, it's crowded back there. Lots of mysteries as to who will win the battle for playing time. Some worthy players won't be happy. I trust the coaches, though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Is he really slower than Mcleod? I thought he had much better range than McLeod when he played FS. Alexander has been my pick to take over for McLeod all year but most think it is between Davis and Bryant. Not me. Alexander is the superior athlete.
Exactly....No worries about his talent...Mental awareness...just knowing how to read the field...

: If Mo really has a chance to play FS well, he will have taken a huge leap from last year to this year and an astronomical leap from 2014 till now.
For your eyes only ;):flanders:

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...-alexander-making-rams-draft-gamble-look-good

Bonsignore: Maurice Alexander making Rams’ draft gamble look good

AR-160619690.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

The Rams’ Maurice Alexander #31 during practice in Oxnard, CA, Tuesday, June 14, 2016. (Hans Gutknecht/Staff Photographer)
By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News
06/15/16

OXNARD — The impetus for the bonds that connect players and coaches sometimes have varied and blurry starting points. The one that will forever link Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and safety Maurice Alexander couldn’t be any clearer.

Williams is the primary reason Alexander is with the Rams, having fought hard on his behalf during the 2014 draft while most of the NFL saw a raw, risky prospect.

“He supported me,” Alexander said, the appreciation obvious.

The gratitude Alexander has returned is the work he’s put in to develop into a potential starter.

It’s almost inconceivable to think about it while watching Alexander fly around the Rams’ practice field Tuesday, but two years ago it took all of Williams’ instincts, vision and projection to see in Alexander what so many were missing.

Tapping into intuition honed over 20 years of coaching — and maybe even a little bit of imagination — Williams saw past the present and into the future. The image that emerged was a raw Utah State prospect developing into an eventual NFL starting safety.

So Williams went to bat for Alexander in the Rams’ draft room, essentially promising everyone with any sort of draft input they’d have an angry coach if Alexander eluded their grasp.

If you’ve spent any time at all observing and listening to Williams on a practice field, he’s equal parts motivator, agitator, comedian, philosopher and mad scientist. In other words, not exactly someone you want on your bad side.

Which probably explains why the Rams drafted Alexander in the fourth round in 2014 when so many others saw him as a sixth- or seventh-rounder, at best.

“That was the beginning for me,” Alexander said.

It was also the foundation upon which Williams and the Rams would take little more than speed, toughness and athletic ability and construct an NFL-caliber safety.

The project is essentially complete, with Alexander making a compelling case for himself as a starter with a strong performance during OTA’s.

The 6-foot-1, 200-pounder is competing with Cody Davis and Christian Bryant to replace Rodney McLeod, who moved on to the Philadelphia Eagles as a free agent.

But with T.J. McDonald out of OTA’s dealing with legal issues, all three have been mixing and matching in the back end of the Rams defense and making strong impressions.

Alexander has been a standout.

“He’s having a really, really, really good camp,” Williams said.

It’s everything Williams envisioned for Alexander two years ago, although he knew it was going to be an extensive project.

“You want to talk about somebody’s head spinning,” is how Williams described the beginning of Alexander’s development.

Alexander played just one year of safety and only two years of Division I football prior to joining the Rams. Making the transition from college to the NFL is difficult enough, but doing so while essentially learning a new position, terminology, responsibility and nuance made it even more challenging.

“He couldn’t discuss football from a secondary standpoint, and he was just paralyzed with all the information and the speed of the game of the National Football League in the secondary,” Williams said.

It also didn’t help Alexander suffered a knee injury during OTA’s his rookie year that slowed him down in training camp.

Understanding the difficulties, Alexander set up personal yard-markers for himself measured in days and stretched out across a football field.

The objective was clear.

“I set a goal to be better every single year,” Alexander said.

He played in nine games as a rookie and made four tackles. While many wondered if the Rams invested too high a pick in Alexander, behind the scenes he was making strides.

By his second year, positional knowledge began catching up with the physical skills. He was getting on the field more frequently, and Williams was growing more confident not only in structuring specific schemes to capitalize on Alexander’s skills, but also his ability to carry them out.

“I invented packages for him last year, because of how well he was doing, to get him more playing time,” Williams said.

And when McDonald was lost in December to a shoulder injury, Alexander replaced him as a starter and responded with 27 tackles and two sacks.

“That was fun,” he said.

Alexander approached this offseason knowing McLeod’s departure opened a starting job. He’s attacking the opportunity as if it were a quarterback and he was on a safety blitz.

“It’s been a great OTA for me, I’ve been learning and it’s a blessing to get an opportunity to be with the (first team),” he said. “It’s been a great process.”

Alexander’s confidence and performance, compared to two years ago, are almost startling to Williams.

“Right now, he is light years ahead of where he was when he first came in,” Williams said.

It took intuition and imagination, but it’s everything Williams saw in Alexander when he looked beyond the present and into the future.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Exactly....No worries about his talent...Mental awareness...just knowing how to read the field...

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...-alexander-making-rams-draft-gamble-look-good

The Rams’ Maurice Alexander #31 during practice in Oxnard, CA, Tuesday, June 14, 2016. (Hans Gutknecht/Staff Photographer)
06/15/16

OXNARD — The impetus for the bonds that connect players and coaches sometimes have varied and blurry starting points. The one that will forever link Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and safety Maurice Alexander couldn’t be any clearer.

Williams is the primary reason Alexander is with the Rams, having fought hard on his behalf during the 2014 draft while most of the NFL saw a raw, risky prospect.

The gratitude Alexander has returned is the work he’s put in to develop into a potential starter.

It’s almost inconceivable to think about it while watching Alexander fly around the Rams’ practice field Tuesday, but two years ago it took all of Williams’ instincts, vision and projection to see in Alexander what so many were missing.

Tapping into intuition honed over 20 years of coaching — and maybe even a little bit of imagination — Williams saw past the present and into the future. The image that emerged was a raw Utah State prospect developing into an eventual NFL starting safety.

So Williams went to bat for Alexander in the Rams’ draft room, essentially promising everyone with any sort of draft input they’d have an angry coach if Alexander eluded their grasp.

If you’ve spent any time at all observing and listening to Williams on a practice field, he’s equal parts motivator, agitator, comedian, philosopher and mad scientist. In other words, not exactly someone you want on your bad side.

Which probably explains why the Rams drafted Alexander in the fourth round in 2014 when so many others saw him as a sixth- or seventh-rounder, at best.

It was also the foundation upon which Williams and the Rams would take little more than speed, toughness and athletic ability and construct an NFL-caliber safety.

The project is essentially complete, with Alexander making a compelling case for himself as a starter with a strong performance during OTA’s.

The 6-foot-1, 200-pounder is competing with Cody Davis and Christian Bryant to replace Rodney McLeod, who moved on to the Philadelphia Eagles as a free agent.

But with T.J. McDonald out of OTA’s dealing with legal issues, all three have been mixing and matching in the back end of the Rams defense and making strong impressions.

It’s everything Williams envisioned for Alexander two years ago, although he knew it was going to be an extensive project.

“You want to talk about somebody’s head spinning,” is how Williams described the beginning of Alexander’s development.

Alexander played just one year of safety and only two years of Division I football prior to joining the Rams. Making the transition from college to the NFL is difficult enough, but doing so while essentially learning a new position, terminology, responsibility and nuance made it even more challenging.

“He couldn’t discuss football from a secondary standpoint, and he was just paralyzed with all the information and the speed of the game of the National Football League in the secondary,” Williams said.

It also didn’t help Alexander suffered a knee injury during OTA’s his rookie year that slowed him down in training camp.

Understanding the difficulties, Alexander set up personal yard-markers for himself measured in days and stretched out across a football field.

The objective was clear.

He played in nine games as a rookie and made four tackles. While many wondered if the Rams invested too high a pick in Alexander, behind the scenes he was making strides.

By his second year, positional knowledge began catching up with the physical skills. He was getting on the field more frequently, and Williams was growing more confident not only in structuring specific schemes to capitalize on Alexander’s skills, but also his ability to carry them out.

“I invented packages for him last year, because of how well he was doing, to get him more playing time,” Williams said.

And when McDonald was lost in December to a shoulder injury, Alexander replaced him as a starter and responded with 27 tackles and two sacks.

“That was fun,” he said.

Alexander approached this offseason knowing McLeod’s departure opened a starting job. He’s attacking the opportunity as if it were a quarterback and he was on a safety blitz.

“It’s been a great OTA for me, I’ve been learning and it’s a blessing to get an opportunity to be with the (first team),” he said. “It’s been a great process.”

Alexander’s confidence and performance, compared to two years ago, are almost startling to Williams.

“Right now, he is light years ahead of where he was when he first came in,” Williams said.

It took intuition and imagination, but it’s everything Williams saw in Alexander when he looked beyond the present and into the future.
It makes you wonder if that's why it looks as though they let McLeod go without a fight

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

06/15/16

The objective was clear.

“That was fun,” he said.

Nice article.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am just fine with Mo starting on the opposite side from TJ McDonald. But why does that indicate Mo will be the Free/deep Safety? IMO it just means MO & McDonald will both be back there & on opposite sides. There is certainly a opening in the secondary @ safety & whomever starts does replace Rodney McLeod as one of the 11 starters but I do not take it as meaning it has to be the FS position as so many of the articles have lead us to believe. Mo is not 200 pounds as the article states Mo has been over 220 pounds since playing LB'er in college. Well over 30 pounds difference between Mo & Rod.

There are a few positions that a Lb'er sized safety like Mo can not replace Rodney McLeod at playing. One being the Rams top reserve nickel corner. The near 190 pound Rodney McLeod has been the back up to corner Lamarcus Joyner the last 2 seasons. Rams not only lost a 4 yr starting CB in JJ they lost their main back up @ Nickel. Thus we saw Gregg go out & get a well known & experienced Nickel-Back in corner Coty Sensabaugh. Looks like the plan has been in effect for some time?

Fisher & Gregg will give TJ McDonald an opportunity to showcase his range & playmaking abilities this season along with providing leadership from the back end. Its a important time in TJ's NFL career. TJ will be a UFA in less than 9 months. Another key plus IMO is playing deep will assist TJ in keeping him away from all that HD traffic & damaging blows that have caused TJ to be on the IR 2 of his 3 NFL seasons. TJ is rehabbing back from a serious injury to his shoulder where he had surgery to reconstruct his lead striking weapon.

TJ has already proven to be an outstanding young SS & has been a starter for Fisher since his first Training Camp. Many are right when they claim that TJ may be a better starting strong safety than Mo at this time but TJ knows what Fisher & Gregg want @ the deep safety post more than any other DB! Being a starter for Fisher for 3 NFL season will place TJ McDonald way ahead of the rest of the pack so TJ will be starting with Mo.

Its not that Snead has ignored the Free/Deep Safety DB types & is forced to play TJ & Mo. Snead has Cody Davis signed for the next two seasons. Then there is Brian Randolph who is signed for the next 3 years who looks to have some real good Free/Deep safety skills in his backpack. So they have 2 FS's types here for a good while. Snead also has a close clone of FS Rodney McLeod in Christian Bryant. Bryant is about a inch shorter & 10 pounds heavier than Rod. Bryant has started in college @ SS/FS & Nickel/Dime corner positions. Same type of talent that Rod brought to the Rams as a rookie in 2012. Bryant can also be easily retained & signed in the future as a Ram. So Snead has this secondary primed & full of good young FS prospects.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Mo is not 200 pounds as the article states Mo has been over 220 pounds since playing LB'er in college.
I've read where Mo has lost some weight and is around 210lbs....could be even lower...

Fisher & Gregg will give TJ McDonald an opportunity to showcase his range & playmaking abilities this season along with providing leadership from the back end..............TJ knows what Fisher & Gregg want @ the deep safety post more than any other DB! Being a starter for Fisher for 3 NFL season will place TJ McDonald way ahead of the rest of the pack so TJ will be starting with Mo.
Agree totally with this...

Snead also has a close clone of FS Rodney McLeod in Christian Bryant.
Exactly....Seemed like Bryant was putting together a very strong special teams resume last year....Hitting like a missile..Wonder how he looked in camp?
Top of the morning to ya Boni! Hope all is well out there in the sunshine state....(y):sup:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I've read where Mo has lost some weight and is around 210lbs....could be even lower...

Agree totally with this...

Exactly....Seemed like Bryant was putting together a very strong special teams resume last year....Hitting like a missile..Wonder how he looked in camp?
Top of the morning to ya Boni! Hope all is well out there in the sunshine state....(y):sup:
All well now ;)
Unlike you & the rest of the southwestern ROD contention members we have been under water this past week down here, not too much sunshine either. Glad I live up on a hill. Temps here @ noon are around 80 degrees with overcast skies. Beats 119 plus degrees any time. But by Tuesday the temps will be back in the low 90's.

I sure would not want Mo to loose too much weight & I have not seen anything on his loss of pounds? But he has been a well muscled up safety since he arrived. I think you & I have been thinking five safeties on this 2016 final 53 roster now for a while....Mo, TJ, Cody, CB & BR.

What I will be looking for in TC & pre season is where Gregg will permit Bryant to get some time in @ the nickel. It sure would help the secondary out if they find a safety who can when needed be the Nickle or Dime reserve corner. If the short & stumpy Bryant was able to fill that hole, his value to this Ram team increases dramatically.

Last edited: