Alexander hopes to replace McLeod at free safety

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
lexander hopes to replace McLeod at free safety

Sports Xchange
June 14, 2016 at 11:15 pm.

[www.lindyssports.com]

OXNARD, Calif. — Two of the biggest Los Angeles Rams shoes to fill from last season were also among the most vocal. When starting safety Rodney McLeod left for the Philadelphia Eagles as a free agent, he took more than his hard hitting and ball-hawking skills with him.

It also meant the quarterback of the back end of the Rams’ defense and one of its most vocal leaders needed to be replaced.

A few years ago you would have been hard-pressed to think Maurice Alexander would have the skill set, let alone vocal chords, to be the man the Rams entrusted with that responsibility.

Back then he was an essentially football neophyte that Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams literally had to construct from the ground up. Alexander was basically new to the defensive back position, having played just one year at safety at Utah State, and wasn’t ready to make the transition to the NFL.

But with the backing of Williams, who championed Alexander’s cause in the 2014 draft and basically demanded his bosses pick him, the 6-foot-1, 220-pounder has developed into someone the Rams are growing more and more comfortable with as the potential replacement for McLeod.

Alexander, in turn, has backed up that conviction with a solid performance thus far in Organized Team Activities. So much so that it’s hard not to imagine him as one of the starting safeties to open the season.
“It’s been a great OTA for me, I’ve been learning and a blessing to get an opportunity to be with the (first team),” he said. “It’s been a great process.”

For Alexander, it’s payback for Williams’ support two years ago when the veteran coordinator stuck his neck out for him even though, by all accounts, Alexander was far from a finished product or sure thing.

“That was the beginning for me. Greg showed a lot of interest in me, and I set a goal to be better every single year,” Alexander said. “To get better every single time I’m out there. That’s what I’ve been doing.”

Alexander started five games last year at strong safety in place of injured starter T.J. McDonald and finished with 27 tackles and two sacks, and though he projects more at that position than at the free safety position McLeod manned, Williams and the Rams’ defensive staff have been creative with the defensive backs so it’s not a stretch to believe Alexander can’t make the transition.

He’s competing with Cody Davis and Christian Bryant for the spot opposite McDonald, although with McDonald out of OTAs dealing with legal issues, all three are getting chances to mix and match between the two safety spots.

One of them will have to replace McLeod, though. And Alexander hopes he gets the call.

If so, he says McLeod deserves some of the credit.

“I love Rodney, he’s a great player and a great teammate and he left great footprints behind,” Alexander said. “And that’s why I’m a better player now, because of someone like him looking out for me. I’m a player the coaches can trust right now.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By all reports the three competing for the spot all look great in ota's.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Alexander is a better fit for strong safety. He lacks the coverage skills and speed to be a great free safety but he can tackle like a linebacker and has great aggression. I could even see him filling a role similar to Barron.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Is this news that he would play FS? Has he, in fact been mixing in on the back end at OTAs? He has always been considered a box safety. Maybe Williams sees an ability to cover deep.

I have to admit, I am still confused about our personel in the defensive backfield. We are deep. Even after losing McLeod and Jenkins, the following guys just are too good now not to be a starter, or at least in on Nickle, big Nickle and dime packages: TJ, EJ, Joiner, Tru, Alexander, and now Davis and Bryant. At least they figured out how to get Barron on the field all the time. Maybe Alexander should just cover the other OLB position for Ayers. That wouldn't shock me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is what I think FWIW....McDonald would be more in coverage I feel they think T.J. with his range can cover and Alexander will cover as well, however, be more in the strong safety role.

Keep in mind the Rams do not designate a SS and FS in their defensive scheme, it comes down to what side the coverage is on. I would not be shocked on the eve of the 12th of September that both McDonald and Alexander will be the starting Safeties for the Los Angeles Rams.
112614-mcdonald-cp.jpg

Eugene+Sims+Maurice+Alexander+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+tY4vf8YZi5rl.jpg

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I see Alexander and McDonald holding down the back end of the defense, I don't think Joyner has the size to play safety especially on this team where they ask safeties to come into the box . I think alexander has the speed to play on the other side of McDonald, and with Tru Gaines and Joyner I think the secondary doesn't lose much since last year. What is up with TJ though? have not heard much about the situation.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Mo at free...hmmmm.....Now, this is another time when I'm a lil confused....I like Mo...I like TJ...Why wouldn't Mo get some reps playing deep last year if this were a possibility....like others, I'd rather see Mo mostly at SS.
Keep in mind the Rams do not designate a SS and FS in their defensive scheme, it comes down to what side the coverage is on.
I keep hearing the safeties are interchangeable...but yet McLeod played mostly deep...Maybe this is the year we get to see this.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Alexander is a better fit for strong safety. He lacks the coverage skills and speed to be a great free safety but he can tackle like a linebacker and has great aggression. I could even see him filling a role similar to Barron.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Mo is just a SS? Last year he played FS and SS. Is he really slower than Mcleod? I thought he had much better range than McLeod when he played FS. Alexander has been my pick to take over for McLeod all year but most think it is between Davis and Bryant. Not me. Alexander is the superior athlete.

HellRam

Starter
I've long been in the Mo at FS camp....from a frame size point of view he appears like a SS. Then when you watch him play and he moves like a FS, MO has tremendous speed and range for his size.

It was never gonna be McDonald at FS, TJ is the definition of a box safety. Even at his current position McDonald has been a liability in coverage, he's been great at everything else however.

Expect Bryant or Mo to win the job imo.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Greg Williams has been drooling all over himself for over 4 years, ever since he first laid eyes on Mo Alexander. If you go look at Mo's college highlights you can see what GW saw, an instinctual hard hitting football player, a LB with safety speed, but raw, just what GW wants to shape into HIS format. Every time GW talks and Mo's name comes up he has nothing but high praise for how Mo is coming along. Mo Alexander has been GW's pet project and no way is Mo NOT going to start in the backfield, (barring injury). If you go back and watch Mo the last 4 games of the season, the guy was a force,putting on some fantastic hits and making plays. He's not all the way there yet, but given some more playing time I'm in GW's camp, Mo is going to be an elite player once he refines his coverage skills.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
The whole scenario with Mo at FS gets complicated by TJ legal/league discipline. Will he get 2, 4 or6 games? With this going on they have to play/get him most reps as SS.

They do not play their safeties on one side. That was the case when Walton was the DC. McLeod played deep FS 80% of the time the last 2 years. The other times he was at nickel when Joynier was out or or the Rams were in 2 deep safety alignment. Lastly they do cross train their safeties as well as CBs for flexibility with the 53 man and game day rosters.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yea westcoast, GW doesn't seem to have a clue, no idea why he thinks Mo would work out at S.:neener:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea whoever said Mo Alexander was slow has it wrong. He ran a 4.54 which is pretty darn fast for a safety.

Did he come into the NFL great in coverage? No...but being good against the run with his physical stature and athleticism - if he was great in coverage too, he would have gone in the 1st or 2nd round - he's been working on it I'm sure.

And honestly, a good chunk of a deep safety's duty is to prevent big plays - that includes the run too. McCleod's biggest deep safety moments that stand out to me are the hit on Emmanuel Sanders and last year tackling Adrian Peterson one on one several times.

These are things that Mo can do.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The more I read about/ hear about Mo, the more I feel like I'm being sold something.

The fact that we don't have a FS could be an issue if our pass rush doesn't get there in 2.5 seconds.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The whole scenario with Mo at FS gets complicated by TJ legal/league discipline. Will he get 2, 4 or6 games? With this going on they have to play/get him most reps as SS.

They do not play their safeties on one side. That was the case when Walton was the DC. McLeod played deep FS 80% of the time the last 2 years. The other times he was at nickel when Joynier was out or or the Rams were in 2 deep safety alignment. Lastly they do cross train their safeties as well as CBs for flexibility with the 53 man and game day rosters.

I don't get the concern about McDonald missing games, Orchid.

He blew a 0.00 and called the police himself, then patiently waited until they arrived.

No one was injured, just property damage.

I'm unaware of any other scrapes he's had in off field issues.

Compared to Mason, for example, this is like an overdue library book in the 3rd grade.

Geez... What am I missing?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Greg Williams has been drooling all over himself for over 4 years, ever since he first laid eyes on Mo Alexander. If you go look at Mo's college highlights you can see what GW saw, an instinctual hard hitting football player, a LB with safety speed, but raw, just what GW wants to shape into HIS format. Every time GW talks and Mo's name comes up he has nothing but high praise for how Mo is coming along. Mo Alexander has been GW's pet project and no way is Mo NOT going to start in the backfield, (barring injury). If you go back and watch Mo the last 4 games of the season, the guy was a force,putting on some fantastic hits and making plays. He's not all the way there yet, but given some more playing time I'm in GW's camp, Mo is going to be an elite player once he refines his coverage skills.
I'm drooling over your post

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The more I read about/ hear about Mo, the more I feel like I'm being sold something. The fact that we don't have a FS could be an issue if our pass rush doesn't get there in 2.5 seconds.
I kinda agree with this but only in terms of selling him as something he's not (I don't think it's a sell that he's a good player, I think he is).

I see FS primary role as 3 things: 1. coverage calls; 2. preventing big plays; 3. turnovers. McLeod was good at #1 and only finally in his last year he accomplished #2. Category 3 he was meh, he had some big hits that caused some fumbles, but the INTs were badly lacking.

Mo would be fine in calls at first and eventually good as he gets more experience. He has the speed and tackling ability to be solid preventing big plays, but again the inexperience is the initial worry. But it's once again category 3 that's lacking. He was on the field for 400+ defensive snaps last year and caused zero turnovers... I understand a lot of turnovers are luck and scheme but still, if he was an instinctual ballhawk I think we would have seen it surface by now.

I think he could be a fine replacement for McLeod -- which is the huge #1 need -- but I just don't see him being a big improvement, which is more of a wish than need for this defense to be strong again.