Alex Smith Is A Reason To Believe In Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFan14

Starter
For years, people nagged on Smith, claiming he didn't belong being a starter for the 49ers and just in general not belonging to start for any team in the NFL. With all the crap he had to deal with in SF, new offensive coordinators every year for his first FOUR years (I've forgotten)?!?! Spending time each YEAR in the offeseason, LEARNING a new offense INSTEAD of perfecting and learning the previous offense???!!! All that time WASTED learning every stinkin offseason?!?! Think about it, how are you supposed to be good if you can't even learn to manipulate your offense against defenses??? Or just using your free time (that doesn't involve learning a new offense!!!) to learn about DEFENSES of your OPPONENTS. The amount of talent Smith had to deal with in SF, and it wasn't terrible IMO, but the talent to me wasn't very well developed at the time and it just overall wasn't good. The personal circus all those years made people forget Smith DID have talent, he just never got a legit chance to show it tell Jim H showed up (even then it was questionable because he took so many sacks and was conservative). Smith dealt with injuries, team deficiency, and really took majority of the blame for the teams failures. I personally didn't think it was tough to see Smith had talent and that he was a victim of poor decisions by management and a victim to bad luck with his injuries (his shoulder). With all that said, he still showed IMO he had talent even with all these problems that couldn't be stabilized. The man had work ethic. The man loved the game of football. The man is smart. The man DIDN'T QUIT!

Now look at him... I'm in KC and I remember the trade when it happened, fans were like ehhhhhhhh. Now they are loving him, loving his leadership, his toughness, everything for the most part. Smith does have talent and he's proving it over and over and over again to the doubters who to me unfairly criticized his play when REALLY the team all around him wasn't good and of course he did have some bad luck. It's a TEAM game and he was a victim of bad management early on in his career.

I feel like Bradford is very similar to Smith and his situation he dealt with in SF. If people think Bradford is the hot topic in STL, wow I can only imagine how big a topic Smith must have been in San Fran (WOW!). Bradford has talent (personally, more so then Smith IMO), he has work ethic, he is smart, and I believe he wants to WIN. The team has dramatically changed since his first two years, I can't remember the stats for the players from Spags team making it to Fishers team, but there is such a huge number of new players on this team since then, it's CRAZY!!! All these offenses Bradford has had to learn, all the hits he's taken, all these new comers... Can anyone really say we've given him a legit chance to succeed? I'll say last year was the best chance he was given, and it was pretty solid team he finally had around him IMO. He still has much to learn, but I still believe we have yet to see the best if he can comeback confident. It's really unfortunate that he suffered his ACL injury, we really could have learned a lot this year. When he was protected this year (watch the games), he played pretty darn good football (line of scrimmage against Dallas and San Fran we completely lost). Comparing Bradford to Smith... I can gladly say... I'm so glad I stuck to my guns with Smith all these years when ppl were down on him, because I probably respect, appreciate, and enjoy watching Smith play as much as any fan because he proved ppl wrong. He's a tough dude, and I can honestly say Bradford has the traits of Smith, if not I personally think he has better traits.

I'm not giving up hope on Bradford just yet. If he can comeback confident after injury (and it is a legit question IMO), I think he'll perform pretty darn well and with this team can help us reach the playoffs.

Don't give up hope yet.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
How many injuries did Alex Smith have? Didn't he have surgery for something?

Sam Bradford is a reason to believe in Sam Bradford. It's just the damn injuries, without them we're not even having the debate.

RamsFan14

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How many injuries did Alex Smith have? Didn't he have surgery for something?

He suffered a broken shoulder I believe during the 08-09 season (think that was the season). So he's familiar with a major injury.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He suffered a broken shoulder I believe during the 08-09 season (think that was the season). So he's familiar with a major injury.

Yep '07 and '08 shoulder. 2012 concussions.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Well, the way this year, and so many other years go in the NFL I'm sure SF will win tomorrow but I'd really like to see Kaepernick stink it up after Smith just lit it up. Smith is too conservative for my tastes too often but the guy has a pretty good post season resume. Elevating your game when it's all on the line is a major indicator of a good QB.

Smith's post season numbers(3 games):
68/114(59%) 873 yards(7.3/att) 9TD(7.1%) 0INT 110.1 Rating