Al Harris takes his parting shot.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
2 minutes ago - by Ron Clements - CB Harris: 'My heart goes out to' Spagnuolo
Retiring CB Al Harris on the future of coach Steve Spagnuolo: “Coaches can only coach. I think Spags has done a great job of getting guys to buy in. That’s the hardest part when you’ve got a relatively young team. … Injuries, you can’t help. … My heart goes out to (Spagnuolo). I know how much work he’s put in.”

steferfootball

Starter
Attention Mike Karney, this is how you thank a team who paid you.

Even friggin Richie Incognito said good things about our organization once he left.

TBH, I didn't think Al Harris would accomplish anything this season, but he amazed me with his play at like 37 years old. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors (hopefully as a Rams DB coach? :) )

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, he impressed me too. He plays great press coverage against some big receivers. Even tight-ends. I think he'd be a great DB coach or defensive assistant, but you'd have to think that Green Bay would be his first choice though, if something like that were to present itself.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Yeah, he impressed me too. He plays great press coverage against some big receivers. Even tight-ends. I think he'd be a great DB coach or defensive assistant, but you'd have to think that Green Bay would be his first choice though, if something like that were to present itself.
Oh, have an idea, let's hire him as a WR coach.

Just kidding, I think he would make a great DB coach, and I like how he plays the position, not with his back to the ball all the time like our DB's are taught.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
Just kidding, I think he would make a great DB coach, and I like how he plays the position, not with his back to the ball all the time like our DB's are taught.
You don't really think they're taught that. Do you? Nah. Yer funnin' me.

I remember an interview during that short camp with Jerome Murphy. He was talking about making the transition from nickel to the outside and was talking about how he's still learning how to shield the receiver, press him to the outside and spin his head around after watching the receiver's eyes. I had high hopes for that kid. Shame he didn't get to "develop" during the course of the season.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:

I remember an interview during that short camp with Jerome Murphy. He was talking about making the transition from nickel to the outside and was talking about how he's still learning how to shield the receiver, press him to the outside and spin his head around after watching the receiver's eyes. I had high hopes for that kid. Shame he didn't get to "develop" during the course of the season.
It's a specific technique, trailing a receiver, watching his eyes, and then when you read his eyes....they get bigger right before the catch, you reach out and smack the ball out of his hands. You don't have time to flip your head if you do...like we saw sooo many times...the ball goes over your head and you don't even know it, making you look stupid. If you flip your head you have to do it out of the receivers last break and this is risky. I was taught this technique in High School. What Al does, is stay on top or deeper than the man and play through the man, so he see's man and ball at the same time. So he comes from on top of the man and breaks on the play. It's much more like a zone, but it's still a man technique.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

It's a specific technique, trailing a receiver, watching his eyes, and then when you read his eyes....they get bigger right before the catch, you reach out and smack the ball out of his hands. I was taught this technique in High School. What Al does, is stay on top or deeper than the man and play through the man, so he see's man and ball at the same time. So he comes from on top of the man and breaks on the play. It's much more like a zone, but it's still a man technique.
Sure. The Dude was a safety. The Dude abides. It's much easier to do that at the lower levels, but at the big show, receivers tend to control their eyes too. But you can still see them tracking the ball with their eyes. It just all happens so fast that you only get a second to look back. Plus there's the fake the really good receivers will lay on ya. Pretending to get all wide-eyed and then use that to get a couple extra yards via that second gear. Sure ain't easy playing DB in the L. Pretty amazing that guys off the street were able to come in and pick it up as well as some of them did too.

And yeah, Harris did well playing down field the way he did. He was really a really good short-field corner too though.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

It's a specific technique, trailing a receiver, watching his eyes, and then when you read his eyes....they get bigger right before the catch, you reach out and smack the ball out of his hands. You don't have time to flip your head if you do...like we saw sooo many times...the ball goes over your head and you don't even know it, making you look stupid. If you flip your head you have to do it out of the receivers last break and this is risky. I was taught this technique in High School. What Al does, is stay on top or deeper than the man and play through the man, so he see's man and ball at the same time. So he comes from on top of the man and breaks on the play. It's much more like a zone, but it's still a man technique.

Hey, Bluceocunuts you played some corner, what were you taught?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

It's a specific technique, trailing a receiver, watching his eyes, and then when you read his eyes....they get bigger right before the catch, you reach out and smack the ball out of his hands. I was taught this technique in High School. What Al does, is stay on top or deeper than the man and play through the man, so he see's man and ball at the same time. So he comes from on top of the man and breaks on the play. It's much more like a zone, but it's still a man technique.
Sure. The Dude was a safety. The Dude abides. It's much easier to do that at the lower levels, but at the big show, receivers tend to control their eyes too. But you can still see them tracking the ball with their eyes. It just all happens so fast that you only get a second to look back. Plus there's the fake the really good receivers will lay on ya. Pretending to get all wide-eyed and then use that to get a couple extra yards via that second gear. Sure ain't easy playing DB in the L. Pretty amazing that guys off the street were able to come in and pick it up as well as some of them did too.

And yeah, Harris did well playing down field the way he did. He was really a really good short-field corner too though.

I actually used that against corners who played me with that technique. I'd open my eyes real wide on my first break, then go the other way, or I'd just outrun them, LOL. Another tell of the WR is that they get off the line faster when the play is to them, but there are players like Lloyd our there that cruise off the line like it's a run play then they hits the gas. It is not easy at all in the NFL.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
In response to Lombardi's comments that the Rams need an identity, I suggested "Win with Honor", and this is what Spags has brought to the Rams, and further, this is what Al Harris exemplifies in his parting comments.

Now, with time, we'll acquire more talent and start winning. But with regard to the honor part, I think we've already got that :)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
interference said:
In response to Lombardi's comments that the Rams need an identity, I suggested "Win with Honor", and this is what Spags has brought to the Rams, and further, this is what Al Harris exemplifies in his parting comments.

Now, with time, we'll acquire more talent and start winning. But with regard to the honor part, I think we've already got that :)
Yes, I agree with that wholeheartedly, and I like that about our team a lot.

steferfootball

Starter
Al Harris is an amazing person.

He has managed to become one of my favorite players of all time in three quarters of a season.

I have no idea how that happened... :|

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
steferfootball said:
Al Harris is an amazing person.

He has managed to become one of my favorite players of all time in three quarters of a season.

I have no idea how that happened... :|

Al Harris is a guy I respected long before he came to the Rams. He epitomizes what Spags envisions from his secondary; a tall cornerback who can tackle, play man coverage, and press wide receivers with equal skill.