Akers, Jefferson and Snaps

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay recently was quoted on the following irt the question of these two guys getting more playing time:

“That’s a big point of emphasis the second half of the season,” he said. “I thought they both did a nice job wanting to continue to find opportunities."

Which is music to my ears, really great to hear him say that. But then he then went on to say...

"The goal is we’ve got a lot of really good football players, I think the more that we can utilize all of them while keeping our core guys fresh and knowing that, ‘Hey, you still have your guys like the Robert Woods, the Coopers (Kupp), the (Tyler) Higbees. Josh Reynolds had eight catches yesterday.’ You want to get a variety of guys involved because we’ve got guys that we think are capable, they’ll stay fresher throughout the game. When you’re efficient on some of those third downs, and you’re able to stay on the field, you can get those players more involved like the plan was, but we’re going to continue to see those guys develop. I thought they did a nice job with the opportunities they had. It was something that we wanted to focus on. It will remain a point of emphasis. I was pleased with those two yesterday.”

He actually tells us a lot here, which is not always the case since he's a coachspeak ninja. I take it to mean they're waiting on these two to earn more playing time on the field, and that's fine btw (I wish he'd be a bit more like Staley in terms of being bold on flipping roster spots but there's nothing wrong with that approach). But the problem here is the next four defenses we face are Tampa (8th in scoring defense), SF (10th), Arizona (9th), and New England (11th and starting to round into shape a bit). Four good rosters, four strong DCs calling those games, and starting this weekend with Tampa we have lost Whit and at least one unknown due to covid so our offense is going to be short handed vs some extremely tough matchups.

So it seems to me that McVay's comment of "when you're efficient on some of those third downs, and you're able to stay on the field" irt playing time for Akers & Jefferson means we're not gonna see a whole lot of them over the next few weeks barring the staff making a conscious decision to start one or both of them.

All that aside and of the two... Akers seems to be a guy they're pushing into a role where he's being given every chance to win a bigger role. They started him last game and he got the most carries which is a big indicator. So hopefully he'll be able to settle in and give us a boost during this very tough stretch where we're going to need every big play that we do get (and like Hendy he has potential to deliver those big plays).

As to Jefferson... It just feels like he's going to have to beat Reynolds out. And contrary to how I've felt all along (which is that Jefferson will overtake Reynolds) I'm no longer certain that will happen. In fact I'm starting to feel like Van will be a next year boost for the offense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As to Jefferson... It just feels like he's going to have to beat Reynolds out. And contrary to how I've felt all along (which is that Jefferson will overtake Reynolds) I'm no longer certain that will happen. In fact I'm starting to feel like Van will be a next year boost for the offense.

Ditto.

I still hope to see him worked in more, myself. But, it’s week 11.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Ditto.

I still hope to see him worked in more, myself. But, it’s week 11.

Minus the drop last week, Reynolds has been very good the past month and has been our most productive WR. Add to that he's a better blocker than Van which is why I think he's seen more snaps, but with his production lately it will be hard to bench him IMO.

Kupp has been injured every year now and I think a case could have been made to not pay him and pay Reynolds + move Woods to the slot. I wanted to move JRey before the deadline to get something for him, but at this point I think Van's time will come next yr.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
McVay recently was quoted on the following irt the question of these two guys getting more playing time:

“That’s a big point of emphasis the second half of the season,” he said. “I thought they both did a nice job wanting to continue to find opportunities."

Which is music to my ears, really great to hear him say that. But then he then went on to say...

"The goal is we’ve got a lot of really good football players, I think the more that we can utilize all of them while keeping our core guys fresh and knowing that, ‘Hey, you still have your guys like the Robert Woods, the Coopers (Kupp), the (Tyler) Higbees. Josh Reynolds had eight catches yesterday.’ You want to get a variety of guys involved because we’ve got guys that we think are capable, they’ll stay fresher throughout the game. When you’re efficient on some of those third downs, and you’re able to stay on the field, you can get those players more involved like the plan was, but we’re going to continue to see those guys develop. I thought they did a nice job with the opportunities they had. It was something that we wanted to focus on. It will remain a point of emphasis. I was pleased with those two yesterday.”

He actually tells us a lot here, which is not always the case since he's a coachspeak ninja. I take it to mean they're waiting on these two to earn more playing time on the field, and that's fine btw (I wish he'd be a bit more like Staley in terms of being bold on flipping roster spots but there's nothing wrong with that approach). But the problem here is the next four defenses we face are Tampa (8th in scoring defense), SF (10th), Arizona (9th), and New England (11th and starting to round into shape a bit). Four good rosters, four strong DCs calling those games, and starting this weekend with Tampa we have lost Whit and at least one unknown due to covid so our offense is going to be short handed vs some extremely tough matchups.

So it seems to me that McVay's comment of "when you're efficient on some of those third downs, and you're able to stay on the field" irt playing time for Akers & Jefferson means we're not gonna see a whole lot of them over the next few weeks barring the staff making a conscious decision to start one or both of them.

All that aside and of the two... Akers seems to be a guy they're pushing into a role where he's being given every chance to win a bigger role. They started him last game and he got the most carries which is a big indicator. So hopefully he'll be able to settle in and give us a boost during this very tough stretch where we're going to need every big play that we do get (and like Hendy he has potential to deliver those big plays).

I think this means we are DEEP. On lesser teams, these guys would already be seeing more plays. It's a nice problem to have and with this streak of Ds we will be facing, we can scheme in multiple directions. That'll keep those DCs guessing as to where we will be going with the ball. I like it!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

It’s common to get excited about rookies, but McVay has never been one to rush them along. It’s also common to project too much early success on draft picks that you really like.

knowing what we do about how McVay requires RBs and WRs to block I never expected much from the offensive rookies. College RBs and Receivers dont block much in spread and R/O offenses. Even many tight ends struggle with the transition of blocking in the NFL.

I expect to see a lot of Brown early in this next game, and possibly the next several games.

One thing that does surprise me is that Van Jefferson is not being used to stretch the field on certain packages. We heard a lot about his playing speed being impressive and the Rams clearly miss Cooks speed.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Champagne problems. Lol.

Seriously, the healthy Akers seems now on his way. There are worse problems than watching both Akers and Hendy locked into a 7 game battle while both play well attempting to earn that ‘starter’ position.

I agree with your take on the Reynolds/Jefferson duel. Reynolds has been a stud and deserves to start ahead of Jefferson. Would be nice to give Jefferson more snaps and targets in blowout games, but we’re not seeing any blowout games so best players play. Jefferson will be the 3rd WR next year and Reynolds will be gone after receiving a juicy contract offer to play elsewhere. Hope it’s not in the NFC West.

This ‘20 draft was a doozy for the Rams. Hope the ‘21 draft can even come close.

dang

Legend
The Rams pass offense has a lot of weapons and can certainly move the ball. However there is something a little off this year. Kupp is having a down year. TEs are not as big a factor as they could be. Screens and jet sweeps aren’t very effective. Goff is streaky on his accuracy. I’m no expert analyst but it seems they do much better with a hurry up offense with quick strike passing. And they have a very effective run game. I cringe when Goff is in the pocket for more than 3 seconds. If they can figure out their shortcomings I am starting to believe they could win the NFC.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that does surprise me is that Van Jefferson is not being used to stretch the field on certain packages. We heard a lot about his playing speed being impressive and the Rams clearly miss Cooks speed.

playoffs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The problem with Kupp and Woody is that teams can double them and mostly remove them without the Rams making them pay with that third threat. Cooks was definitely good enough to do that and then some, not to mention we had Gurley as well two years ago who could eat teams up on seams and wheel routes. Reynolds in general is not up to Cooks' level and McVay's been trying to get both him and Higs rolling to make up the difference but we can see they're not there yet and probably won't ever bridge that gap.

IMO the quality of the third (and fourth) passing game threat differentiates a lot of offenses in this league. Talent matters. So IMO we're not going to improve until someone steps up and the only guy who I think might be able to give us that is Jefferson.

But maybe I'm wrong we'll see. I certainly hope so.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The thing about Cooks is that his speed forced Safeties to stay deeper than they have to now. That puts another defender in position to account for Woods and Kupp.

Honestly, even if he's a 4th WR, we need that speed guy who can take a safety out of the equation. That opens everything up, ESPECIALLY with McVay having found religion about how powerful it is to have a run game and sticking to it.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
Minus the drop last week, Reynolds has been very good the past month and has been our most productive WR. Add to that he's a better blocker than Van which is why I think he's seen more snaps, but with his production lately it will be hard to bench him IMO.

Kupp has been injured every year now and I think a case could have been made to not pay him and pay Reynolds + move Woods to the slot. I wanted to move JRey before the deadline to get something for him, but at this point I think Van's time will come next yr.
Reynolds had costly holding penalty that took away a big play last week too. Just going from memory I don't remember Kupp being hurt last year but I've tried to forget a lot about last season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reynolds had costly holding penalty that took away a big play last week too. Just going from memory I don't remember Kupp being hurt last year but I've tried to forget a lot about last season.
Kupp played in all 16 last year, got a little dinged up against Pittsburgh is all. Reynolds is the poor man's Brian Quick, he's a JAG and will be easily replaced by Jefferson next season. He makes bone headed plays still, cuts off routes early and shies away from contact. Sure he had an effective game against Seattle, but had only hauled in 12 of 26 targets in his previous 4 games

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When both were drafted this past off season I wasn’t too happy with their selections. Nothing against either as a player, just felt the Rams had other pressing needs.

Then as I got to know more about their college careers I changed my mind. Really thought both would have a major impact on the offense this season.

Now it’s apparent the Rams had two solid RBs already (which is fantastic). Akers needs to develop his blocking on passing downs and accustomed to the speed of the NFL. Jefferson has all the tools and will be a contributor. Although his selection appears to have lit a fire with Reynolds. Who has been surprisingly (to me) consistent this season. Still need a deep threat, so I’d gander a 3rd or 4th round pick will be used this up coming draft to address that need.

All JMHO

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
McVay's offense is extremely nuanced and requires precision decision making in route adjustments. This is the reason Everett, with all his athletic prowess is only trusted with limited snaps. Reynolds has been given enough time to learn from his many mistakes that he has grown into his role which reached its apex last week.

The obvious take for me is that McVay ensures the plays run for the youngsters are ones they have the firmest grasp of the concepts and adjustments. Put simply, each may have a dozen plays to study each week so they can effectively contribute.

As to stretching the field, I don't believe this is a matter of WR talent or speed gap without Cooks. This is a product of McVay limiting exposure to negative plays like we saw against Miami. Part of the reason the OLine is better this year is because McVay is picking his spots better in terms of long developing plays. Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, and Jefferson all run faster than 20mph in pads on the field. They are all adept at double moves. But those are always gambles. There is tremendous wisdom in doing so on only favorable downs and distances.

fearsomefour

Legend
It’s a luxury the Rams have not always had.
For years having to draft strictly for a pressing need was the norm.
So, players would have to start right away whether they were ready or not.
This years draft is looking like a very, very productive one.
Akers and Jefferson can play.
That is plain to see.
Burgess and Fuller have both made contributions and seem to fit the defense very well.
Lewis is starting to collect snaps and contribute.
Wait and see with the TE and OL drafted.
Would have been great if Sloman worked out, but so it goes.
If the Rams gets 5 contributing players out of a draft without a first round pick....that is a haul.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I think Akers usage last week (more carries then Hendo) was more of a safety measure for Hendo who was coming off of an injury. I could be wrong, but, I bet we see more Hendo then Akers on Monday. As for the lack of a deep threat, I really believe that Jefferson can be that deep threat. In the Senior Bowl he was clocked at like a 4.3 speed with the trackers they wear. I know he didn't run a 40, so we don't know for certain, but the dude can fly. Add to that he runs crisp routes. I'd like to see him utilized in that area more in the 2nd half of the season.