Akers got death threats on Twitter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By JANIE McCAULEY
AP Sports Writer
http://stlouis.cbsradio.stats.com/fb/st ... a&tm=&src=

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) San Francisco 49ers placekicker David Akers said Thursday he received death threats on Twitter and closed the account.

Akers received the death threats late last month, but is unsure at the number of posts directed at him because he did not go further back on his account to see how many.

"It was Twitter stuff. I got off there, so I won't deal with that anymore," Akers said Thursday.

Once he initially saw them, he reported it to team and NFL security personnel. The 49ers said they were aware of the situation, and so was the league.

"I didn't go back and look any further," Akers said. "I hadn't been on there for weeks, so I didn't go back and look at any old ones after that. I don't take anything lightly. You really can't. I went through the proper people and what they felt like was safe."

It was Akers last season who came to the defense of teammate Kyle Williams when he faced threats following two costly fumbles in the NFC championship game, a 20-17 overtime loss to the New York Giants.

The 38-year-old Akers also revealed Thursday - when newly signed kicker Billy Cundiff practiced alongside him in what has become a competition - that he underwent double hernia surgery last February following his All-Pro season.

Akers then went to see the same doctor in Philadelphia after a Nov. 25 game at New Orleans this season to have injections after the area flared up when he fell during practice working on kickoffs.

Unlike 2011, when he made 44 of 52 field goals, Akers has been in a slump this season. He is 29 for 42 on field goals.

He missed overtime kicks twice against the Rams this season, with the 49ers losing at St. Louis and tying at home. Akers had a field goal blocked in a loss at Seattle on Dec. 23 that Richard Sherman returned 90 yards for a touchdown.

He missed two more wide left in a home victory against Arizona in the regular-season finale last Sunday before bouncing back to make two.

Akers began the season by making a 63-yarder in a season-opening win at Green Bay in which the ball bounced off the crossbar and through the uprights.

"It's a game, it's a business, it's my career, but it's not who I am," Akers said of football. "I would definitely give that 63-yarder back to make the two kicks against St. Louis. People talk about my demeanor being down, listen, I take my job seriously. I feel when I miss kicks I let the team, the organization, the fans down. I take it personal."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lol. Badass twitter baddasses are badass.

Idiots. :nono:

Pretty sure that's why Chris Long stopped using Twitter last year too.
Not because of any threats or anything, but because it was just an unnecessary distraction and he was tired of hearing negativity.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
There is really no need for athletes to be on twitter. There is access enough to fans through more traditional media forms IMO.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Welcome to the "New" American society this country is rapidly taking over. I'm not into Twitter or any social media for that matter. On one side you have a proven kicker literally money. He gets a fuckin double hernia operation in the offseason and pretty much had his worst season of his what 10+ year career..shit happens..sometimes.

Sorry ROD Bros I just have no fuckin patience or minimal personal time to understand or comprehend what this "new breed" if you will of Americans(?) thinking and acting on. The Kyle Williams threats were equally as disgusting. Yea these guys SOME make millions upon millions and some don't its their profession and ya know what we all fuck up sometimes. There are thousands of NFL hopefuls that never make it or ever off the practice squad. I cannot imagine what it takes to be a true professional athlete.

I am just behind words at what actions the common NFL so called "fanatics" are doing these days. Adam Carriker tweeted the whole Vick, Manning, and Romo are all at a bar watching the playoffs. Now that's funny and how comments about players should be addressed not death threats. I'm embarrassed I still live here right now and am anxiously awaiting to join and adapt to a new society over in CR.

Disclaimer- ROD to me is not social media just a ton of good guys who can make valid comments/suggestions and most of the time COHESIVELY if not always contribute and build upon great discussion. Its an amazing breath of fresh air!

...off my soapbox now. Maybe this should be in OT feel I went harsh there but its the facts of reality now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BatteringRambo said:
Welcome to the "New" American society this country is rapidly taking over. I'm not into Twitter or any social media for that matter. On one side you have a proven kicker literally money. He gets a fuckin double hernia operation in the offseason and pretty much had his worst season of his what 10+ year career..shit happens..sometimes.

Sorry ROD Bros I just have no fuckin patience or minimal personal time to understand or comprehend what this "new breed" if you will of Americans(?) thinking and acting on. The Kyle Williams threats were equally as disgusting. Yea these guys SOME make millions upon millions and some don't its their profession and ya know what we all fuck up sometimes. There are thousands of NFL hopefuls that never make it or ever off the practice squad. I cannot imagine what it takes to be a true professional athlete.

I am just behind words at what actions the common NFL so called "fanatics" are doing these days. Adam Carriker tweeted the whole Vick, Manning, and Romo are all at a bar watching the playoffs. Now that's funny and how comments about players should be addressed not death threats. I'm embarrassed I still live here right now and am anxiously awaiting to join and adapt to a new society over in CR.

Disclaimer- ROD to me is not social media just a ton of good guys who can make valid comments/suggestions and most of the time COHESIVELY if not always contribute and build upon great discussion. Its an amazing breath of fresh air!

...off my soapbox now. Maybe this should be in OT feel I went harsh there but its the facts of reality now.
Boom. Just like that.

Yeah, it can be ridiculous sometimes. When it's not the off-season, I rarely use Twitter. But during the downtime, it's a quick source of news that breaks before it hits the wires. The rest of the blah blah blah stuff I really have no patience for. Though, I will say that when media guys get in a Twitter-war, it can be pretty amusing.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a_UqlJbQjY[/youtube]

I'm a man whom relates more to music than personal thought expression...

bluecoconuts

Legend
BatteringRambo said:
Adam Carriker tweeted the whole Vick, Manning, and Romo are all at a bar watching the playoffs. Now that's funny and how comments about players should be addressed not death threats

I got a bit of a chuckle at that joke too, but I felt it was weird coming from a guy who spent all year on IR... And given that Eli has two rings...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
BatteringRambo said:
Welcome to the "New" American society this country is rapidly taking over. I'm not into Twitter or any social media for that matter. On one side you have a proven kicker literally money. He gets a freakin double hernia operation in the offseason and pretty much had his worst season of his what 10+ year career..shyte happens..sometimes.

Sorry ROD Bros I just have no freakin patience or minimal personal time to understand or comprehend what this "new breed" if you will of Americans(?) thinking and acting on. The Kyle Williams threats were equally as disgusting. Yea these guys SOME make millions upon millions and some don't its their profession and ya know what we all freak up sometimes. There are thousands of NFL hopefuls that never make it or ever off the practice squad. I cannot imagine what it takes to be a true professional athlete.

It is disgusting. It's easy to hide behind a computer or cell phone and be a tough guy. And while most of it is just tough-talk, some people don't know the difference.

I don't want to get too far off track but I've seen it first hand with my daughter. Some of the stuff these teenagers say to each other online, they would never say face to face. It truly is cyber-bullying and to an underdeveloped mind it twists the lines of acceptable behavior.

We ultimately had to put filters on the sites and time limits for use. She couldn't unplug her mind from the social scene of school.

BAM! There is my soap box! :cheese: